FF6 Hacking
Reconstruction of Doma - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Reconstruction of Doma (/thread-4100.html)

Reconstruction of Doma - Jeff - 04-19-2021

What a shame to leave such a nice, only slightly haunted castle unattended! What could we do to refurbish it? I've been playing with this idea quite a lot and think it could be a good endgame time sink to establish a hub area and rebuild a tragic kingdom. My concept currently goes as follows:

Once awakening Cyan, Banon arrives at the castle. He is the last Returner, and wants to restore the group to their former glory to inspire hope and stand up to Kefka. He acts as the hub manager, and all beginning projects go through him.

The first things he asks for is refurbishment- you'll pay him GP to cleanse the water, install suits of armor in the halls, Returners flags, and other cosmetic items. Once you do enough, Arvis will arrive, joining the castle and bringing Narshian knowledge of machinery to help out more.

From here on, you'll talk to Banon about finding people who need a home to inhabit the empty castle. You'll talk to various merchants around the world and persuade them to join, some join automatically but some will require specific items (if this is possible). This will fill the halls with people who sell unique and valuable items. Arvis will help you expand the castle itself, adding a basement with various rooms, including some form of a water arena so Mog can learn his last dance in the WoR.

Bringing specific characters could also help. Strago uses magic to open a sealed door. Mog can recruit a dancer who likes his skills. 

Ideally, other notable NPCs who have no late game presence can appear too. Duncan perhaps could open a training dojo. Siegfried could teach Cyan his swordarts rather than the dream. Duane/Katarin and the children should move from Mobliz into a safer place.

When all is completed, you'll unlock the Alexander esper here rather than after freeing Cyan as well.

As far as implementing this: I suppose I'll need event editing? This is something I haven't tackled yet but would like to learn. I'll start with the smaller parts and work up from there. Do you have any advice or ideas that might really make this shine?

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - MysticLord - 04-20-2021

Do you mean a standalone hack that's just this, or some sort of event sequence in addition to the normal game?

I wonder how hard it would be to make certain field maps part of save ram, and to create event commands to modify maps...

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - PowerPanda - 04-20-2021

To set clear expectations, this would be a major hack, and it would not be possible without an expanded rom. You will need new NPCs, new maps, and quite a few event bits. There are certain event bits that will replace tiles in a map with modifications. It would have to be done through event code, and while it is not terribly difficult, it takes a lot of space, as you have to define a new tilemap within the event code, tile by tile. Moving NPCs is something I did with Divergent Paths, as I allowed you to recruit a crew of 5 people aboard the Falcon. It's a lot of event editing, and you will need to duplicate each NPC and assign 2 event bits to each one (one for displaying them at location A, one for location B). However, it's doable.

So yes, you can, but it will take a long time. The issue is not the technology, but the available space.

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - Jeff - 04-21-2021

MysticLordDo you mean a standalone hack that's just this, or some sort of event sequence in addition to the normal game?

I wonder how hard it would be to make certain field maps part of save ram, and to create event commands to modify maps...

I did mean this in addition to the normal game, for an endgame sidequest

(04-20-2021, 03:19 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: To set clear expectations, this would be a major hack, and it would not be possible without an expanded rom. You will need new NPCs, new maps, and quite a few event bits. There are certain event bits that will replace tiles in a map with modifications. It would have to be done through event code, and while it is not terribly difficult, it takes a lot of space, as you have to define a new tilemap within the event code, tile by tile. Moving NPCs is something I did with Divergent Paths, as I allowed you to recruit a crew of 5 people aboard the Falcon. It's a lot of event editing, and you will need to duplicate each NPC and assign 2 event bits to each one (one for displaying them at location A, one for location B). However, it's doable.

So yes, you can, but it will take a long time. The issue is not the technology, but the available space.

Ah, good to know! Where would I find extra space? I read in the Cyan’s Uneventful Dream patch that it opened up ~1300 bits, is that useable for event hacking?

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - PowerPanda - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 11:53 AM)Jeff Wrote: MysticLordDo you mean a standalone hack that's just this, or some sort of event sequence in addition to the normal game?

I did mean this in addition to the normal game, for an endgame sidequest

(04-20-2021, 03:19 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: To set clear expectations, this would be a major hack, and it would not be possible without an expanded rom. You will need new NPCs, new maps, and quite a few event bits. There are certain event bits that will replace tiles in a map with modifications. It would have to be done through event code, and while it is not terribly difficult, it takes a lot of space, as you have to define a new tilemap within the event code, tile by tile. Moving NPCs is something I did with Divergent Paths, as I allowed you to recruit a crew of 5 people aboard the Falcon. It's a lot of event editing, and you will need to duplicate each NPC and assign 2 event bits to each one (one for displaying them at location A, one for location B). However, it's doable.

Ah, good to know! Where would I find extra space? I read in the Cyan’s Uneventful Dream patch that it opened up ~1300 bits, is that useable for event hacking?

Cyan's uneventful dream could be used to accomplish this, yes. That will get you 1300 bytes of event space, 25 npcs, and 25 event bits, all detailed in the readme. 1300 bytes is going to disappear very quickly once you start updating tilemaps based on event bits. For a model of how to do that, check the event on the Ship's deck of Albrook when you talk to Leo. The game, rather than cutting to a new map with the ship at sea, simply replaces all of the dock tiles with water and calls it a day.

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - SirNewtonFig - 04-21-2021

Another source of event space that may or may not suit your tastes would be the Auction House. BNW razed the whole thing, moving the two Espers available there to be purchasable from an NPC elsewhere, and that yielded a ton of event space (and the dialogue space freed up there will probably be helpful toward your goals as well). If you're not planning on doing anything interesting with it, the Auction House is pretty much just a nuisance RNG slog anyway.

RE: Reconstruction of Doma - Jeff - 04-21-2021

(04-21-2021, 01:04 PM)SirNewtonFig Wrote: Another source of event space that may or may not suit your tastes would be the Auction House. BNW razed the whole thing, moving the two Espers available there to be purchasable from an NPC elsewhere, and that yielded a ton of event space (and the dialogue space freed up there will probably be helpful toward your goals as well). If you're not planning on doing anything interesting with it, the Auction House is pretty much just a nuisance RNG slog anyway.

That sounds like a great option to pursue as well! Thank you Smile