FF6 Hacking
IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Owzer's Mansion (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-23.html)
+---- Forum: Player Characters/ NPCs (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-46.html)
+---- Thread: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) (/thread-3700.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - NeroTek - 06-29-2018

Made these for myself, but thought others would be interested and wanted a record of it. It's the IOS/Steam portraits converted for SNES for all the main and guest characters, plus Kefka, Gestahl, Cid and Esper Terra. You need to replace the portraits manually in case someone wants to swap characters like Leo or Kefka into the main cast. But they're all here. I wasn't sure how to officially upload it. Maybe the site owner could do it.

download

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - madsiur - 06-29-2018

I have put them on our server. I understand these were made for yourself, but they look a bit bad in-game and any cropping / resizing / indexing to 16 colors only will give similar result. To make look them good in-game, they need a significant amount of manual tweaks and I don't see much of this here.

As an example, Terra look she is 75 years old and result is somewhat far from her original iOS portrait. I'm also not sure a white background is a good idea.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - LordSutebenu - 07-03-2018

Here's a reworked Terra in this style, though I have to say, if you are going to manually tweak these to look as good as can be it'll be a bit of an undertaking. This portrait alone I spent a number of hours on. Granted, I'm in no way a master at spriting portraits, so this is as good as I could tweak/make it. My expertise tends to be more on the sprites themselves than the portraits. Though I do have a few portraits made, like Iris and Edward. 

[Image: TerraIOSRedux.png]  [Image: TerraIOSReduxLarge.png] for a comparison here is what I was working off of: [Image: FFVI_Terra_Branford_Menu_iOS.png] [Image: TerraOGLarge.png]

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - Gi Nattak - 07-03-2018

@Sute That is a major improvement indeed, nicely done! And good example.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - NeroTek - 07-06-2018

I'll agree your Terra is much better. I'm new to this whole thing so trying to figure everything out and learning as I go. Converting and tweaking the IOS portraits isn't my first priority though. I've got this idea of replacing Gogo and Umaro with a fully functional Banon and Leo (Esper equipping, magic learning, accessible equip screens, no mimic menu, no berserk, no random umaro fight command), and keep reading around trying to figure out where to start. But it's not something I want done for me. I need to do it first hand if I'm going to learn. I've been studying the event dump... i'm lost beyond getting umaro to palette 0.
Edit. I have a feeling what I need to do is as simple as changing a few bytes on each character to make them behave normally.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - madsiur - 07-06-2018

For palettes assignation check out the palette document here. You can aslo search the event dump for ": 43", which is the event command for palette assignation. Making Leo and Banon fully playable is a huge task you can look at our community project here, more precisely the ASM thread to see what needs to be done. Feel free to take anything from this thread.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - NeroTek - 07-07-2018

Actually I almost have the Leo/Banon done. There's just a few things I need to figure out and can't seem to locate a couple addresses I need to change. It does replace Gogo and Umaro. Palettes for the world sprite I've got figured out, thanks to your info long before I joined, tested with a save before recruiting them. Leo is properly Palette 0 as Umaro. Also chocobo riding sprites are done (but again art isn't my strong point, there's always better ones).
Maybe making this much of an edit to the mimic and yeti class directly is more work than I think.
For my workaround, I can normalize Gogo and Umaro's behavior (normal battle entrance, no mimic menu, no berserk) by making them pull their character properties off the real Banon and Leo (Priest and General), this also changes their displayed class on the menu when using the translation patch. If I do it this way, all I need is 2 addresses to change to allow everyone, including guests to be able to equip espers and change equipment. I'm aware Guest 1 would use Merit Award and Guest 2 would use Imp equips, but that's irrevelivent, since Banon and Leo are puliing their equips from the characters they replace. I remember seeing a thread somewhere about where and what to change to CF or C7 or something like that to enable all characters to do this (or rather unequip guests), it was very simple, but the esper part had a side effect of the ghost freezing right before the  phantom train if you didn't dismiss them first. Maybe you can help redirect me to that. As a finisher I'll have the real Guest 1/2 slot replaced with Biggs and Ghost 1. Biggs using Merit award equips and ghost only able to use Lich Ring and imp equipment so no stat penalties. But I need to relocate this thread. with those 2 simple address changes.
Also, Leo is palette 0 for the party world/battle. But what program do I use to actually change his NPC sprite to 0 for the airship and yeti cave?
*Edit, if it helps I think it was Catone that provided the 2 addresses for accessing the menus on anyone in this lost thread I once saw and it ended with an argument. I'm not even sure it was on this site.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - madsiur - 07-07-2018

For the NPC sprites palettes, it can be changed with FF6LE. As for your equip thing, I don't understand your problem since if your two characters replace Gogo and Umaro there should be no equip limitation since they are moved to characters $0C and $0D, but there are some limitations in banks $C2 and $C3 concerning Gogo and above, mainly for magic learning. Just search for "Gogo" in those disassemblies.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - PowerPanda - 07-09-2018

Just as a note, I've had a private message going with HatZen on some ASM work he did for the Full Roster Hack that was 1 step for complete. I have a fully-working character 0E and 0F right now, without having to sacrifice Gogo and Umaro. I'm leaving it up to him on whether he wants to release the touched-up code or whether he wants to touch it up even further, since he's way better at that stuff than I am.

NeroTek, one thing you're going to run into is that there are only 12 magic lists. There's no way to get learnable magic on slots 0D and 0E without using B-Run's MMMMMagic patch.

RE: IOS Portraits for SNES (Finished) - madsiur - 07-10-2018

(07-09-2018, 11:09 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Just as a note, I've had a private message going with HatZen on some ASM work he did for the Full Roster Hack that was 1 step for complete. I have a fully-working character 0E and 0F right now, without having to sacrifice Gogo and Umaro.

Well I think if you get everything from the Full Roster Hack ASM thread that me, hatzen08, B-Run and m06 have done, you have fully playable characters $0E and $0F. There are one or two minor things that need a fix iirc, I'd have to go over the whole thread to remember, but OAM expansion was one of them. If Hatzen08 has consolidated all that work in one patch and finalized it, I am really cool with him releasing to the public, since it's almost already the case with the ASM thread being public.

paging @Hatzen08