FF6 Hacking
Need Some Help - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Need Some Help (/thread-3655.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Need Some Help - ShadowDreamer - 03-18-2018

Heya everyone!

So I first posted this in the discord but was told I might be better able to find some help here.

I need a few things done for my hack that I've been working on for the past few years (almost done, yay!) and want to either (A) learn how to do them or (B) If I am unable to, find someone a nice person to do them for me. But I'm not a jerk and time is valuable so obviously I'd offer compensation.

Here's what I need done:

Sketch command changed to "Sing" and use the Lullaby spell as its effect.

Morph command changed to "Lich" and turns the person into the ghost sprite instead of Esper, same effects but also gives them undead like relic ring.

Possess command changed to "Scrolls" which would randomly cast Shadow's scroll items (without the actual items in inventory) in addition to Shrapnel spell.

Control command changed to "Rain" which would randomly cast Acid Rain, Flash Rain, or Heal Rain (custom) spells.

Runic command changed so that Celes nullifies the runicable spell and casts it on them? If that can't be done than ignore this one.

I can edit the names myself but the rest...yeah that's tricky. I feel bad asking for help but my skills aren't in coding so much as story, dialogue, and just general balancing. I would really like to make my hack unique and I feel like custom commands could contribute towards that. 

In addition to the above, I have a custom character I want to replace Gogo with (already have her sprites + dialogue written) and want to insert her in the WoB. I already know the area but I have a feeling it'll be a lot more difficult than just inserting her as I know the game will check for her in specific scenarios (like the Narshe battle, level averaging, etc) so that's something else I'd need to figure out or also commission from someone.

Thank you in advance Smile

RE: Need Some Help - madsiur - 03-18-2018

For replacing Gogo, if you need magic learning like others and want to get rid of mimic it require some assembly work, it really depends how different from Gogo you want your character. There are checks in battle module for Gogo concerning magic learning and other things. Aside of this you could have him recruited in WoB and there would be no other difference but you need to make some event work, like a recruiting scenario and some events if you want display a custom dialogue.

As for your custom commands, I might try to do one or two, we'll see but I'm pretty busy so don't anticipate any result very soon.

RE: Need Some Help - ShadowDreamer - 03-18-2018

(03-18-2018, 11:55 AM)madsiur Wrote: For replacing Gogo, if you need magic learning like others and want to get rid of mimic it require some assembly work, it really depends how different from Gogo you want your character. There are checks in battle module for Gogo concerning magic learning and other things. Aside of this you could have him recruited in WoB and there would be no other difference but you need to make some event work, like a recruiting scenario and some events if you want display a custom dialogue.

As for your custom commands, I might try to do one or two, we'll see but I'm pretty busy so don't anticipate any result very soon.

For Gogo I've already given him the commands and what not I'd want for the new character in FFUsME. No magic, just Fight, Sketch (Sing), Dance, and Item. I also know where the dialogue is that I want edited + what I want it to be changed to. I wanted to expand the event with Cyan and Sabin in the tavern of Nikeah with the dancer and make her join the party like I'm to understand was originally intended haha. So I decided to do that. I figure I'd add a few more lines and then she'd join the party.

As for the commands -  I'd appreciate whatever you could do. :O

RE: Need Some Help - PowerPanda - 03-19-2018

I'd love to see a tutorial on how to change any command into "cast a spell for free", like Shock and Health. It would be a great entry-point for people looking to get into command hacking.

RE: Need Some Help - ShadowDreamer - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 12:11 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: I'd love to see a tutorial on how to change any command into "cast a spell for free", like Shock and Health. It would be a great entry-point for people looking to get into command hacking.

Yeah, same. I was looking and couldn't find anything like that.

Also does anyone know where "Health" gets its spell from? I know which one Shock is...but Health is more elusive.

RE: Need Some Help - PowerPanda - 03-19-2018

(03-19-2018, 07:29 PM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: Yeah, same. I was looking and couldn't find anything like that.

Also does anyone know where "Health" gets its spell from? I know which one Shock is...but Health is more elusive.

It loads ability "2E", which is Cure 2. You can change it to any other spell and it works. You will have to change the targeting if it's an attack spell though.

Code:
Health

C2/171E: A9 2E        LDA #$2E       (Cure 2)
C2/1720: 85 B6        STA $B6        (Set spell/animation)
C2/1722: A9 05        LDA #$05
C2/1724: 80 3F        BRA $1765

RE: Need Some Help - madsiur - 03-19-2018

There was a discussion on Health / Shock a while ago and Hatzen08 had a solution that while not being perfect would work, see this post. You can assemble his code with xkas.

Edit: I had a closer look at all this:

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Sketch command changed to "Sing" and use the Lullaby spell as its effect.

I think Hatzen08 code linked above could be used as a base to make this, it's a command that cast a spell.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Morph command changed to "Lich" and turns the person into the ghost sprite instead of Esper, same effects but also gives them undead like relic ring.

Would changing Terra's Esper sprite in FF3usME work or do you use it as well? Otherwise the esper sprite ID is maybe hardcoded in Morph code, I'd check bank $C2 and after bank $C1 (GFX related). Applying the undead status is trivial.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Possess command changed to "Scrolls" which would randomly cast Shadow's scroll items (without the actual items in inventory) in addition to Shrapnel spell.

This is again a command that cast a spell. The randomization aspect is not difficult to code.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Control command changed to "Rain" which would randomly cast Acid Rain, Flash Rain, or Heal Rain (custom) spells.

Same as above only with different spells.

I could probably do these 4 commands in a relatively short amount of time if nothing surprising arise. I'll have more free time next week but since your hack has been in development for years an extra week or two is not a long wait Tongue

RE: Need Some Help - ShadowDreamer - 03-20-2018

(03-19-2018, 08:34 PM)madsiur Wrote: There was a discussion on Health / Shock a while ago and Hatzen08 had a solution that while not being perfect would work, see this post. You can assemble his code with xkas.

Edit: I had a closer look at all this:

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Sketch command changed to "Sing" and use the Lullaby spell as its effect.

I think Hatzen08 code linked above could be used as a base to make this, it's a command that cast a spell.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Morph command changed to "Lich" and turns the person into the ghost sprite instead of Esper, same effects but also gives them undead like relic ring.

Would changing Terra's Esper sprite in FF3usME work or do you use it as well? Otherwise the esper sprite ID is maybe hardcoded in Morph code, I'd check bank $C2 and after bank $C1 (GFX related). Applying the undead status is trivial.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Possess command changed to "Scrolls" which would randomly cast Shadow's scroll items (without the actual items in inventory) in addition to Shrapnel spell.

This is again a command that cast a spell. The randomization aspect is not difficult to code.

ShadowDreamer Wrote:Control command changed to "Rain" which would randomly cast Acid Rain, Flash Rain, or Heal Rain (custom) spells.

Same as above only with different spells.

I could probably do these 4 commands in a relatively short amount of time if nothing surprising arise. I'll have more free time next week but since your hack has been in development for years an extra week or two is not a long wait Tongue

I'll read that document. Seriously whatever you could do I would really appreciate it. Like truly. It would be huge.

(03-19-2018, 07:49 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 07:29 PM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: Yeah, same. I was looking and couldn't find anything like that.

It loads ability "2E", which is Cure 2. You can change it to any other spell and it works. You will have to change the targeting if it's an attack spell though.

Code:
Health

C2/171E: A9 2E        LDA #$2E       (Cure 2)
C2/1720: 85 B6        STA $B6        (Set spell/animation)
C2/1722: A9 05        LDA #$05
C2/1724: 80 3F        BRA $1765

Hmm. Thanks for this. I opened FF6 with a hex editor and it was...a jumble. I searched for the area you listed and didn't get anything. Do you have a link to something that would help me decipher it? I'm assuming its simplified above and in the actual rom the data is...less obvious haha.

RE: Need Some Help - PowerPanda - 03-20-2018

Here is the document wiki on this site:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ff3:ff3us:doc:game

The document I pulled the information from was the C2 disassembly (listed as "Bank $C2" by terii senshi and assassin). Study this document. Learn this document. You will need it every step of the way.

Also, in a hex editor, C2/171E would be 02171E in a nonheadered rom, and 02191E in a headered rom.

RE: Need Some Help - Robo Jesus - 03-21-2018

(03-20-2018, 07:49 AM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: Hmm. Thanks for this. I opened FF6 with a hex editor and it was...a jumble. I searched for the area you listed and didn't get anything. Do you have a link to something that would help me decipher it? I'm assuming its simplified above and in the actual rom the data is...less obvious haha.

Yeah, I had the same issue when I was trying to recreate what GhostXIII did with his "Runic becomes Shock" relic without the rest of what he added in his own mod. I did eventually figure out what to do (incase you want to use it yourself, you can find it on romhacking.net), it just took me messing around in a few places, including one I originally didn't even know I needed to find (and a big thanks to darknil for the help they offered, as they gave me the general direction where to look, which made finding it a lot quicker).

So let's say you're using WindHex32. The big thing the guides don't clearly state and/or explain is you need to display the Offset (Option > Display Offset As >) as SNES Hi-ROM, and that you need to "Go to offset" (Search > GoTo Offset) and set the search parameters as SNES HI-Rom. Once you do that the coding offered here and in the guides will then match up.

That bit of explanation finally made it a hell of a lot easier to find and edit the things I wanted to mess around with. And it was never actually explained in detail anywhere I looked, it was just something I noticed in one of madsiur's video guides here as I was having similar issues and not understanding how to find the things that were supposed to be there (the fact I could stop, enlarge, and replay parts of some of those video guides made finding those notes easier as well with the whole "SNES Hi-ROM" bits as he was hex editting things, which then allowed me to quickly figure out the rest).

For newbies, a lot of people forget that sometimes simple stuff like that actually does need to be shown and/or explained.

Hopefully this little bit of rambling on my part here will help you some in figuring out how to find the bits of coding you are actually looking for, as well as making it less of a mess to deal with. ^_^