FF6 Hacking
Project Idea - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Project Idea (/thread-3516.html)

Pages: 1 2

Project Idea - blackomen - 08-11-2017

Hey everyone Hello . I've had this idea for quite sometime and I want to bounce it off of you guys and see what you think:
My idea is to have a crossover between my 2 favorite all time games. Final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger. 
I know its a long shot and possibly crazy but I Dont know if I should make it a ff6 mod with crono crossover or chrono trigger mod with a ff6 twist.
I know nothing about modding but I want to try it and just get this idea off the ground. If I were to make this a ff6 mod with a crono crossover Ive seen some sprite mods that looked really nice but as of right now its just a jumping off point Shrug
Thanks

RE: Project Idea - madsiur - 08-11-2017

(08-11-2017, 04:24 PM)blackomen Wrote: My idea is to have a crossover between my 2 favorite all time games. Final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger. 

I think both possibilities are feasible, though a CT FF6 crossover would be more difficult to do than a FF6 CT crossover. Maybe it's just also because I know more about FF6 that I think using FF6 as a base is better and easier... Like you say a lot of CT sprite are already done in FF6, for the rest the project depends what you aim for. In any case, it will be a lot of work I think.

Also, I'm moving the thread in Magitek Research Facility since it is more a bout the idea of a project. When you got something to show you can make a thread in this sub-forum.

RE: Project Idea - Turbotastic - 08-13-2017

As someone who has had this idea (to the point of coming up with Double and Triple Techs for some FF6 characters), my blunt advice will be to not even attempt to do this with romhacking.

While Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI have a lot of similarities in terms of being Square JRPGs, structurally, both games are vastly different. It's not as "simple" as crossing over two platformers (like Mario and Mega Man, for instance). Looking at the bare basics, both games utilize different environment and sprite construction, different battle schemes, different party limitations, and so forth. You would essentially have to convert one game to the other...and you'd lose everything that made each game great.

If you were to convert CT to FF6 for instance and hack FF6 (and this is the only remotely feasible direction), you would have to have the Chrono Trigger cast use the Final Fantasy 6 system. All of the wonderfully animated sprites would be lost and replaced by Final Fantasy 6 style replacements. The whole offensive arsenal of Final Fantasy VI would have to be severely limited to approximate CT's approach, and battles would be rendered boring since enemy position and combo techs would be useless even if you could implement them. We're not even getting into things like the 999 vs 9999 HP limits, the differences between statuses of the games, the tile and pallete re-writes, and of course, recreating all of the endings and implementing a NG +.

And if, somehow you were going to convert FF6 to CT (which is what I and probably every SNES era fan would prefer), aside from the fact that you would have to re-sprite every single character, tile, background, and give even mundane enemies animation, there are some hard limits, such as CT having 3 characters in a party that you cannot overcome. Because of that alone you will have to rewrite the story to follow the gameplay. That's not counting the different element system, the difference in character equipment, and so many other things. You would have to redo Final Fantasy 6 entirely to make it fit into CT's style...and that's just on pure concept. Let's not get into SNES limits for VRAM and such.

If you want to make a crossover like this, you're either going to have to wait for the FF6 SDK to get finished or put a fire under some CT fans to make a CT engine that is flexible enough to allow for a FF6 remake to be done with it (meaning they'd have to plan for this possibility from the get-go and allow for an expanded element system/status effects, four characters, two accessory slots + a shield, Espers and spells learned from equipment). Even then you would need help from lots of different spriters to essentially sprite a new game.

Believe me, I would LOVE for something like that to happen, but this would have to be done with a new engine (and no, not RPG Maker...I mean coding from scratch), not a romhack

RE: Project Idea - madsiur - 08-14-2017

I think a CT / FF6 crossover using FF3us is possible without literally porting CT to FF6, which I don't think is the original intention anyway. Think of it as the CT crew taking a portal and falling in an alternate universe. From there everything is possible but it would still require a new story, new events, the CT sprites in FF6 style and some new maps maybe. I think this would be the base, it's already a lot but doable with the existing utilities. Anything after this can be added, whether is new music, battle engine modifications or other hacks.

RE: Project Idea - blackomen - 08-14-2017

I had another idea of taking chrono trigger and instead if time travel it's crossing dimensions into final fantasy 4,5 and maybe even legend of Zelda but designed to CT style but that wasn't a serious idea

RE: Project Idea - madsiur - 08-14-2017

Since FF3us has so many documentation and editors, it's a game that can be modified easier than FF2us and FF5. Since you would aim at a full hack, a correct approach would be to have in version 1.0 moderate changes that can be achieved with editors. This include dialogues and sprites as well as a lot of main data of the game. As for cut-scenes (events), a good FF6 Chrono hack would require some, but you need to use a hex editor for those preferably. Therefore you should aim for a few key scenes first.

In short, not aiming too large at first and once you have a proper 1.0 release add chunks of new modifications for future releases.

RE: Project Idea - Turbotastic - 08-14-2017

I admit I was being reflexively dismissive and had a flashback to my younger, much more ignorant self who promised to hack Chrono Trigger to avenge the ashes of a certain fan project. I was going to fuse Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI in one mega hack that would make the powers that be rue the day they killed the dreams of fans!

And this was before I even knew how to even use a tile editor, or knew that the hex in roms was either data or code. I thought like one of those Saturday morning cartoons I would figure out how to do this by sheer force of will.

I've learned since then that hacking doesn't work that way, and I learned to scale back my ambitions. So, blackomen, I apologize for the overreaction.

Madsiur is right. There are plenty of tools and material available to make an approximation of CT with FF6. If you are at all uncertain as to whether to mod FF6 or to mod another game I would definitely recommend modding FF6 as you will be able to accomplish your goals a lot easier. Modding any other game is much, much more difficult.

RE: Project Idea - Lockirby2 - 08-15-2017

Yeah, the feasibility of this sort of thing always depends more on the scope than anything else.

RE: Project Idea - blackomen - 09-07-2017

I Just want to bounce an idea off of everyone to see what you guys think:
instead of cyan's dream, Go into shadow's dream and come up with an in depth story about shadow where we learn the truth about who he really is and use the baram and clyde sprites as possible playable characters during the dream story.

RE: Project Idea - Gi Nattak - 09-07-2017

This sounds like a great idea! I am all for a Shadow dream expansion, he and his story are well deserving of it and it makes sense.