FF6 Hacking
Blue MP Digits patch? - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Blue MP Digits patch? (/thread-3408.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Warrax - 09-14-2018

(09-13-2018, 09:42 PM)Lightning Wrote: Yeah, although I have decided not to use that reflect recolor patch. The numbers are really ugly in it.  On real hardware on my CRT, the appearance of reflect with the original Blue MP Digits patch looks fine.  It only looks somewhat lousy on an emulator!  I am definitely happy to include the Blue MP Digit hack in my mod, so thanks for making it compatible with 1.1!

Interesting, I often play on my CRT TV as well so I'm curious to compare with the emulator. I might look into more patches to convert to 1.1, I implemented over 100 patches in my hack without issues so there's only a small amount of patches that doesn't work with 1.1. If you got any in mind let me know and I'll check it out.

For your information, the patch works well with Bad Decoration
Edit: Completely forgot that it's not compatible, see my next post for a patch.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Lightning - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 09:43 AM)Warrax Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 09:42 PM)Lightning Wrote: Yeah, although I have decided not to use that reflect recolor patch. The numbers are really ugly in it.  On real hardware on my CRT, the appearance of reflect with the original Blue MP Digits patch looks fine.  It only looks somewhat lousy on an emulator!  I am definitely happy to include the Blue MP Digit hack in my mod, so thanks for making it compatible with 1.1!

Interesting, I often play on my CRT TV as well so I'm curious to compare with the emulator. I might look into more patches to convert to 1.1, I implemented over 100 patches in my hack without issues so there's only a small amount of patches that doesn't work with 1.1. If you got any in mind let me know and I'll check it out.

For your information, the patch works well with Bad Decoration

Hmm, I tried the Bad Decoration on top of your 1.1 fixed Blue MP Digits, but the graphics scrambled in-game (similar to the broken 1.0 version of Blue MP Digits before you fixed it).  I tried on a fresh 1.1 ROM with the same results.  I then tried a 1.0 ROM (with the original Blue MP patch) and everything applied fine without crashing - but the reflect graphic still looked the same.  Maybe I am just missing something here, and it only fixes reflect with Crusader?  I thought maybe it would fix the bug with reflect and the Blue MP digits patch.

That's my bad, Bad Decoration is actually not compatible with 1.1 but it was an easy fix. I uploaded a patch compatible with 1.1

EDIT: I'll upload a proper release later, so no readme and no patch for unheadered ROM for now.

Bad Decoration uses free space at C0/D800, I moved that code by 4 bytes to C0/D804 in my patch to make it compatible with the Overkill 32000 patch.

(09-14-2018, 02:34 PM)Warrax Wrote: That's my bad, Bad Decoration is actually not compatible with 1.1 but it was an easy fix. I uploaded a patch compatible with 1.1

EDIT: I'll upload a proper release later, so no readme and no patch for unheadered ROM for now.

Bad Decoration uses free space at C0/D800, I moved that code by 4 bytes to C0/D804 in my patch to make it compatible with the Overkill 32000 patch.

That does seem to stop the crashes, but I still don't see any difference with the reflect effect (unless it only does something with Crusader). As a matter of fact, I can almost never get any of Lenophis's patches to do anything.  The other day I tried to get his Ignore Defense Patch to work, but it seemed to do absolutely nothing, even on a fresh v1.0 or v1.1 ROM.

Without the Bad Decoration patch, the reflect effect becomes brown after you used Crusader, now it's fixed to be blue. It is still brown?

I haven't tested "Ignore Defense no longer ignoring Safe and Shell" patch so I can't say, I'll take a look later.

(09-14-2018, 03:08 PM)Warrax Wrote: Without the Bad Decoration patch, the reflect effect becomes brown after you used Crusader, now it's fixed to be blue. It is still brown?

I haven't tested "Ignore Defense no longer ignoring Safe and Shell" patch so I can't say.

Ah, yes it is fixed. I was under the impression that the patch would also change the appearance of reflect in general with the Blue MP digits patch, but I simply misunderstood.

In my mod, the Crusader Summon has pretty much been reduced to nothing anyway (I never used it in the original game do to its uselessness).  I needed the bytes for other monster graphics, so I pretty much deleted Crusader.  I was actually going to ask around to see if Crusader could be disabled as a summon, since it pretty much only exists to learn spells anyway.  I am not sure if that is possible though. I have a placeholder SoulSaver as the graphic for Crusader right now. Lol.

I took a look at the code and didn't noticed anything wrong that could break with 1.1. I didn't test the patch yet so I'll see later if it actually work.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Imzogelmo - 05-28-2019

Maybe one day I will be able to get back into the scene and fix some old patches and make 1.1 versions. It would be much easier now since we have xkas instead of hand editing the hex. In fact, using asar, it would certainly be possible to make one asm file to patch all versions.