FF6 Hacking
Blue MP Digits patch? - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Blue MP Digits patch? (/thread-3408.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Blue MP Digits patch? - Alex Rodrick - 02-03-2017

EDIT!! This issue's been resolved. Download the patch at your leisure if your rom has a header.

Howdy!

I'm aware of an IPS patch that visually displays MP-healing in battle (ala Runic) as blue text, and MP-damage as red/hot pink. I've managed to find a download link here: http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html BUT I DON'T RECOMMEND USING IT as it makes my rom, (even a new, vanilla one) either freeze upon entering battle, or reset the game completely to the title screen.

Does anyone know of another link that I can't seem to find, with a functioning patch? Or one of their own? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

This is all odd to me, considering I vividly remembering using this function in a heavily edited and patched rom before, without any problem or complications.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Gi Nattak - 02-03-2017

The patch works my good sir, you just need to have the header applied to your ROM. I don't think Imzogelmo stated that it needs a header on his site or in the download, to be fair. You can use a tool like SNEStuff to add and/or remove a header when needed. A header is 200 bytes of nothing at the start of the ROM and is a pointless nuisance to us, but some programs and patches will require it while others do not.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Imzogelmo - 02-04-2017

Yeah, I may have lost that in a web page edit at some point, but all my patches on that page require a HEADER and a US version 1.0 ROM, unless otherwise specified. The reasons for that being, in order of importance:
(1) When I made my first few patches, almost all other patches were only applicable to the headered, US, 1.0 version.  
(2) The cartridge that I legally own and have dumped from my copier is the US version, 1.0, and any time I copy it back over, it has to have the header or it won't work. (not that that actually matters to anyone else, as adding/removing headers or adjusting ips files is rather trivial). 
(3) I have given blanket approval to anyone who wishes to modify or redistribute my patches, with the only caveat being that they must make me aware of the improvements/alterations by sending me an email. I have no misconception that it happens every time, but like others here, I like to keep up with the developments. That being said, most patches can easily be adapted to work for the 1.1 version with a few tweaks. 

My concern these days is that there are just *so* many patches, many of them very good, that I can't keep up with them all. Hopefully we can form some kind of catalogue of them all on the wiki. Madsuir has already started that effort.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Alex Rodrick - 02-09-2017

Thanks for the help guys! I've added a header and the patch works just fine, no problem at all. The OCD perfectionist in me is quivering.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - ReturnerScum - 07-29-2018

I'm also having trouble with this file, but it's only because of my ROM.  Does anyone know what the actual changes are or have similar problems?  I'm getting the exact problem as the person before, where combat leads to a restart, usually immediately.

Here is the area that is affected, according to the PatchConflict utility.  Note that these are 200h more than they should be, because the patch is for headered ROMs only.  These areas are untouched by other patches.

MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0xE05E - 0xE09F
--
Patches:
MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0x12D9B - 0x12DA0
--
Patches:
MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0x12F2B - 0x12F30
--
Patches:
MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0x193A0 - 0x193A7
--
Patches:
MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0x1A7A9 - 0x1A7AD
--
Patches:
MPDigits-5.ips
Address: 0x1A8E6 - 0x1A8EA

Here is what my ROM had with the changes, and what it had previously, for the first section.  

Code:
Changes (0xE05E - 0xE09F)_______________________Previously
C0/E05E: 09 01__________________________________FF FF
C0/E060: 48 B2 76 C9 0B F0 05 68 09 40__________FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
C0/E06A: 80 01 68 9D 1A 63______________________FF FF FF FF FF FF
C0/E070: 6B 09 01 48 B2 76 C9 03 F0 05__________A5 EB 1A F0 06 AD 60 18 4C 8C
C0/E07A: 68 09 40 80 01 68______________________AD AD 60 18 38 E9
C0/E080: 9D 3F 7B 6B 48 BD 1A 63 80 04__________64 13 85 2A 7B E2 20 AD 62 18
C0/E08A: 48 BD 3F 7B 29 40______________________E9 97 85 2C C9 40
C0/E090: F0 06 68 18 69 04 80 01 68 99__________90 03 4C 9F AD 4C A9 AD FF FF
C0/E09A: 03 03 99 07 03 6B______________________FF FF FF FF FF FF

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - madsiur - 07-29-2018

(07-29-2018, 01:39 PM)ReturnerScum Wrote: I'm also having trouble with this file, but it's only because of my ROM.  Does anyone know what the actual changes are or have similar problems?

Do you know how to use a debugger? Setting "execute" breakpoints on those offsets would make you see the code, use "read" breakpoints if you think the changes are palettes data. Use "step in" to see one instruction at the time. If you're unfamiliar with all this it's a nice time to learn, the person providing you the answer would likely do the same anyway.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - ReturnerScum - 07-29-2018

Thanks I'll definitely give it a shot.  Haven't used the debugger in a year and it didn't solve my problem so I don't think of using it often.  Also, it's good to note here that the debugger doesn't really help explain what this patch does.  For all of my patches, I prefer to only put in code that I have descriptions for where all the code is going and what it's doing there.  This patch doesn't include a readme so I'm adding what I can here while I'm forced to look at the problem.  Because it's not a necessary patch, I'm not sure how many hours I'll put into this but this is already much better than having no readme at all.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - madsiur - 07-29-2018

(07-29-2018, 01:53 PM)ReturnerScum Wrote: Also, it's good to note here that the debugger doesn't really help explain what this patch does.  For all of my patches, I prefer to only put in code that I have descriptions for where all the code is going and what it's doing there.  This patch doesn't include a readme so I'm adding what I can here while I'm forced to look at the problem.

Well, readme with commented code would be best but in this case it is for you to do this. The wiki RAM map can really help for that and you can always paste your disassembler dumps here so you get help commenting the code.

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Lightning - 09-11-2018

Has anyone actually verified that this hack works without problems? As others have stated, it crashes the game every time upon entering a battle or using a tincture, and I tried patching using all these methods:

-My own Hack with AND without header
-vanilla FF3 v1.0 ROM with AND without header
-vanilla FF3 v1.1 ROM with AND without header

All methods above resulted in crashes upon entering a battle or using a tincture if it manages to actually load a battle. I was sort of excited to use this patch with my mod, if anyone knows how!

RE: Blue MP Digits patch? - Gi Nattak - 09-11-2018

I can definitely verify that it works, been using it for years. But it does have a rather unfortunate side effect of royally jacking up the reflect graphic palette... Besides that glaring issue, it works fine but not on a v1.1 ROM. I tested patching it here, just as advertised the patch requires a header and a US version 1.0 ROM. I suspect maybe the 1.0 ROM you tested with may in fact not be, or else it wouldn't have the crashing issue.