FF6 Hacking
FF6 - Brave New World - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hacks, Resources and Tutorials (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Jidoor Auction House (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+---- Forum: Completed Hacks (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-27.html)
+---- Thread: FF6 - Brave New World (/thread-3298.html)

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - BTB - 11-18-2013

We sped Cyan up back 1.2.0, so I take it it's been awhile for you.

On that note, I find it interesting just how noticeable the difference in speed is, given that we only raised it from 24 (same as Strago) to 30 (same as Terra, Setzer, and Edgar).

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - julfordio - 11-18-2013

It really helps to make him feel less reliant on Sprint Shoes to be relevant as a damage dealer in fights, if nothing else.

Still haven't finished the newest version yet (I stalled on the Warring Triad fights due to being out of Revivify and getting low on Phoenix Down; not looking forward to scaling the entire tower again so I keep putting it off), but in general Cyan's magic attacks feel more relevant (I actually had him Holy spamming during a couple fights where I wanted high single-target damage instead of good all-target damage) even with a Vigor-focused build. Dragon is still good when you get it, but by endgame it was rarely used in favor of Cyan's other magical options, mostly due to no +Stam levels.

Elemental Shadow is totally legit though, with a MementoRing/RogueCloak you can hit around 6k a scroll if you hit a weakness on a single target (And don't forget that you tend to get 2-3 times as many turns as the rest of the team). Made stuff like Magimaster and Guardian much easier this time around compared to my first playthrough when I didn't know what to expect. Even with around a dozen Phantom levels in WoB, Shurikens were not nearly as potent as a neutral scroll. With the reduced cost of his scrolls, I ended up bringing Shadow pretty much everywhere in WoR since fights could be cleared in a scroll or two and would leave me with more money than I spent.

GP Rain is much more usable this time around, but by endgame I had ditched it for Fixed Dice/Daryl's Soul and a Ribbon to make sure Setzer played a medic with the occasional hard-hitting attack rather than my main spread damage guy. Leveled him more with HP bonuses than stamina
though, about a 75/25 share, and he's definitely the best tank on the team.

And finally a question about jumping in general, I suppose. I had Mog getting multiple jumps with Punisher equipped, but I'd only ever see one Flare go off at most, and always after Mog landed; is this how spellcasting from jumps works in FF6? I never bothered with Holy Lance jumping in vanilla FF6, so I wasn't sure. Ultimately ditched the jumping plan and went with a full mage Mog; Break and Bio are still good spells and Quake is strong provided you make your team immune, and Dances have some great spell choices (Triple 9999 Cockatrice cast saved me against KatanaSoul, dropped him after he'd took out everyone else in the party over a couple rounds)

One thing I plan on doing in the next update (which will be a minor one) is lowering the cost of Quake given that its two casters are Sabin and Mog, which should hopefully make it a bit more useful.

To answer your question, I believe that random casts can go off on the first jump, in which case they're guaranteed to go off on the second one, as well.

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - julfordio - 11-18-2013

Since we're on the topic of Quake; does Earth weakness override Float status? Certain endgame bosses with Wallchange (Avoiding the name because spoilers I guess) have Float status, which seems like the roulette landing on Earth would mean impossible to take advantage of. I don't recall seeing Earth weakness during the fight, but I wasn't abusing elemental weakness too much to begin with (Strago mostly ran support while Sabin/Locke spammed physical attacks and Shadow abused Smoke Balls and Rerise to nullify the counterattack)

Disregard if there are Earth-element attacks that hit through Float, I suppose, just that talking about Quake brought the subject to mind.

The Earth element itself does not override float status, no. That's a separate setting.

Off hand, the only earth-elemental attack that isn't ground-based (or fractional, since those don't work on bosses) that I can think of is Avalanche.

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - julfordio - 11-20-2013

Finished the playthrough last night, amazing what a handful of levels (Average was 35 instead of 30) will do for trivializing the endgame. Myria aside because I brought a bad teamcomp for it (Umaro/Mog/Setzer/Edgar), nothing was too large of a threat in the last boss fights. Terra/Strago/Shadow/Setzer took on all of Kefka on their own thanks to Rerise spam and heavy multi-target damage.

Did have one question about an item, since I didn't find it in either playthrough; can you get a Mirage Vest outside of the arena? Even after trading in all the gear I wasn't using, I only had a couple (I outfitted Locke/Shadow with Vests; Snow Muffler is too good on Gau and Royal Jacket is still very good for Sabin. 95 speed Shadow with perma-haste is insanity and with HasteX/Rerise he's probably my MVP from the sheer utility, provided you pay the cash to keep Throw relevant.)

Didn't mention it before, but Umaro is a beast this time around; RageBelt/Ribbon means he won't go down easy, constantly hits the 9999 cap if I have Mog in the party, and still does around 8000 with a toss if Mog isn't present for whatever reason. Blizzard Orb's attack is incredibly powerful as well, but keeping Umaro from being statused ended up being more important I found. One of the best physical damage dealers in the game and the only time from recruitment to the end (I brought him nearly everywhere) I felt he was a liability was the Inferno fight, where he often wasted turns attacking the wrong parts. I wouldn't even consider bringing him to Owzer's Mansion, I suppose, but other than that he's great for bringing the pain if your team otherwise is a little on the soft-hitting side.

Relm I'm a little torn over, mostly neglecting her this run in favor of Umaro (Gogo did not get used endgame either, though that is admittedly due to not finding anything for Gogo to do in a fight that someone else couldn't do better, and Gogo generally being incredibly frail). Unless you're pumping her full of Starlet levels in order to have a 60 stamina Relm, she's going to be so frail that even Protect and back row won't save her from a lot of the later physcial attacks in the game. The number of Quasar spammers lategame isn't doing her any favors either, since she's either killed outright or so low on health that I'm spending a turn healing her regardless. Add onto all of that, Setzer arguably does her job better due to better gear, having access to the same support spells (And a +2 Mag esper), and having access to +HP to help out as well. Relm's only real saving grace compared to Setzer is Flare/Meteor, but once you get Fixed Dice even that's only minor.

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - BTB - 11-22-2013

The Mirage Vest is Colosseum-only... and you're really only meant to get one of them. What on Earth did you trade in to get two?

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - julfordio - 11-22-2013

Quite a bit of the high-end gear wasn't getting used, so I traded it in. Edgar had Omega Weapon while Mog was using a Punisher, so I had no use for Gungnir or Longinus, and then Zantetsuken got traded in once I got Excalibur (I did most of my trading right after realizing I couldn't beat the statues and leaving to restock). I could've traded in for one more, actually (Not sure where that one came from, but I didn't pay real close attention to chests in Kefka's Tower so it might've been there?), but I wanted the buffer in case shit really went south at some point during the final boss fights.

With Locke practically glued to Valiant Edge, you leave Edgar/Celes/Terra fighting over 4 other endgame swords, and Edgar is also one of two characters with access to the best lance; having enough gear leftover for a second vest seems a likely scenario, possibly a third if you choose to use Apocalypse/Illumina and Soul Sabre at the same time (Free MP is such a great effect that Celes used Soul Sabre from the moment I got it last playthrough).

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - Bluerobin427 - 11-22-2013

I definitely agree with you about Soul Sabre. It got to the point that I didn't care if it even did damage, I just wanted the MP.

RE: FF6 - Brave New World - madsiur - 12-02-2013

So I just noticed that "Brave new world" is the title of one of the novel I enjoyed the most and it even influenced me at some point. I come up with this now since I just looked for the 1st time the english title. Is your hack title inspired by this, or does it simply means "A new world with brave people in it"?