FF6 Hacking
Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Returner's Hideout (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition (/thread-3292.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - B-Run - 07-18-2016

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised  Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
SPRITING CONTEST: STEAMPUNK EDITION!
Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Hey everyone! It's time to start up our next community event. By an overwhelming majority, you guys voted for spriting. So here we go!

Steampunk Edition:

[Image: steampunk_sketches_a_by_david_nakayama-d4hq89q.jpg]

Steampunk is one of the most popular categories for non-medieval fantasy worlds, and is significantly present in most Final Fantasy games. Probably most notably of these being FF6. However, with all the technology and totalitarianism themes present in the game, there is little representation of the genre by way of NPC design. That's where you guys come in.

Your goal is to make a Steampunk-inspired NPC sprite. A quick google search will bring up a plethora of source material for steampunk, like the picture above. Everyone will be allowed one male NPC entry and one female NPC entry. We are sticking to standard FF6 palettes 0-4, but as NPCs you can use as many colors as you want from your chosen palette. Also, The only requirement for the sheet is that it includes standing and walking sprites, no special animations required and they won't have any bearing on my decision of the winner.

Getting started is simple!

Load up FF3usME, then find the "Gfx" button:
[Image: GfxCapture_zpsymaanzcy.jpg]

Once inside, find the "sprites" tab and get to work making your awesome creation:
[Image: GfxEditorCapture_zpswmhfkorn.jpg]

If you have ANY questions about how the editor works, please ASK! There are lots of spriters on the site that would love to help.

A quick rundown of the RULES:
  1. We are looking for Steampunk-themed NPC sprites.
  2. Sprites must use standard FF6 NPC palettes and must contain AT LEAST standing and walking sprites for front, sides, and back.
  3. Do not insult, or otherwise discourage other posters or their submissions.
  4. Feel free to update and tweak your submissions as much as you want until submissions are closed.
  5. THERE ARE LOTS OF COMMON THEMES IN STEAMPUNK, DO NOT ASSUME SOMEONE IS STEALING YOUR WORK, BUT ALSO DO NOT BLATANTLY RIP OFF ANOTHER PERSON'S DESIGN/TECHNIQUE.
  6. Each person can submit one male entry and one female entry.
  7. Submissions will be accepted until Wednesday, August 3rd.
  8. Results will be posted no later than Friday, August 5th.

I will be picking one male NPC and one female NPC as the winners, and the winning sprites (with the makers' permission) will make an appearance in Children of Vector either as a semi-standard NPC or perhaps even as a named NPC. However, other spriters may be approached by me at a later time if I am interested in adding more steampunk NPCs.

We had a great turnout for the last contest, this one is a little more involved, but I hope to see you guys active and helping one another along. Remember, this is a community-building event. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Happy Hacking!

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - ScarabEnigma - 07-18-2016

I think if the contest only asks for the walking and standing sprites, just pull up ff3se instead, a easier to use interface. Or you could export a npc sprite sheet from ff3usme and edit it on Pixelformer. Also yields a improved interface. Also, if its npc only, then the creative value I could present would be ill valued Tongue. Also, from what I'm guessing, I bet Gesthal is gonna replace Gogo in slot 13 of the character choice. It just seems too obvious.

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - Lockirby2 - 07-18-2016

"Do not insult, or otherwise discourage other posters or their submissions."

Good thing you specified *other* posters. Because I'll be doing a lot of insulting and otherwise discouraging my own submission. Tongue

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - ScarabEnigma - 07-19-2016

I actually am planning a submission, also first reading the initial post finally gave me a design idea for another edit!

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - FF6Fanatic - 07-19-2016

Steampunk FTW. Reminds me of Arcana: of steamworks and magika obscura (which I've yet to play...).

Good thing standard palettes will be used, I can import without problems. Objection!

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - Lockirby2 - 07-19-2016

Also, perhaps submissions should be placed in spoiler tags? I'd prefer not to see any other submissions before I submit mine.

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - Astaroth_ - 07-19-2016

This is my submission for a female npc:  [Image: steampunkdress2.png]

And this was my inspiration: [Image: b2685be80b35d151e0c1453ae498b57a.jpg]

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - Gi Nattak - 07-20-2016

I'd like to participate, but I think this time I'd rather not publicly embarrass myself lol...sigh. (<--- sucks at spriting like no other)
It's a good contest though, always fun to see new sprites. And also a nice way to recruit some NPCs for Children of Vector - though I don't mean to imply that there's any such hidden agenda behind it!

Good luck to all participants.

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - B-Run - 07-20-2016

(07-19-2016, 08:23 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Also, perhaps submissions should be placed in spoiler tags?  I'd prefer not to see any other submissions before I submit mine.

That's a really good idea! But I don't think it should be mandatory, but a really good sugestion. I will leave it up to individual posters.

(07-19-2016, 11:38 PM)Astaroth_ Wrote: This is my submission for a female npc:  [Image: steampunkdress2.png]

Astaroth! Good to see you! Glad to see this pulled you out of the woodworks. I hope to see more of you around the site.

(07-20-2016, 01:17 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: And also a nice way to recruit some NPCs for Children of Vector - though I don't mean to imply that there's any such hidden agenda behind it!

No hidden agenda Tongue . What I would like is for every contest to have SOME kind of tangible reward, so I'm getting a little creative with what that might be. But yeah, I'm a steampunk enthusiast at heart, and would love to have some more steampunk in CoV, so I'll FIND a way to work it in.

Keep it up guys. Looking forward to seeing more.

RE: Spriting Contest: Steampunk Edition - SSJ Rick - 07-23-2016

very nice sprite Astaroth

I would LOVE to see a full sprite sheet of this bro no joke

I would love to take a crack at one or 2 of these but as u all know that's impossible for me right now Sad

but all that aside I'd love to see some more submissions soon