FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - m06 - 05-16-2016

Some of the chunks in the IPS seem oddly formatted. Maybe it's a newer version of IPS or incorrect handling of large chunks.'

Some chunks have 0 bytes of data. Some chunks have strange offsets like: 101010, 000000 and FF00FF, numbers that are more likely to represent data. So I think your IPS utility is incorrectly splitting up large chunks of data.

Here is a summary of the chunks:
Code:
Filly Fantasy VI.ips

@ 3d0200:    256 bytes
@ aa78b1:    26559 bytes
@ d729d3:    59433 bytes
@ b44d28:    39314 bytes
@ 63e900:    45381 bytes
@ 36f1fd:    65264 bytes
@ 2c005e:    24576 bytes
@ c00040:    3584 bytes
@ 3b143b:    5142 bytes
@ 298873:    11248 bytes
@ 030003:    768 bytes
@ a05ee0:    57467 bytes
@ 38002c:    49152 bytes
@ dcc0be:    55456 bytes
@ 91917f:    56553 bytes
@ 9e9e21:    8959 bytes
@ 101010:    4369 bytes
@ 000000:    0 bytes
@ 000000:    128 bytes
@ 467cc7:    11448 bytes
@ 001f07:    0 bytes
@ ff00ff:    65307 bytes
@ 03fb00:    239 bytes
@ 004d00:    237 bytes
@ a05000:    128 bytes
@ 007f00:    95 bytes
@ 404040:    16448 bytes
@ 2ca04c:    38136 bytes
@ bc4ff8:    56871 bytes
@ 100e00:    3840 bytes
@ 096160:    4866 bytes
@ 14c616:    9353 bytes
@ ce667d:    61420 bytes

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Kugawattan - 05-16-2016

Is this a good place to comment and review the hack itself? I'm going to play it, maybe not completely (RotDS goes first) but I'd like to get past at least the Narshe battle, and I would like to give input and 'review' the changes and whatnot. Maybe I can spot a few glitches or other minor graphic and text flaws.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 05-16-2016

Sure, post away. Smile

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Kugawattan - 05-16-2016

Alright, well, my first impression was the sprites were kind of flat. I understand that with a colorful cast of characters palette issues are something, but the sprites BEG for another shade of color...they currently look so...flat. Likewise, some of the sprites don't look like sprites at all, more like jpgs badly compressed to fit in the game. I know it sounds harsh, but it's honestly how I feel. They also feel quite bigger than they feel like. I will say this though, some of the sprites later do indeed look much better, like the Ultros stand-in.

Yuck! No dash button. I read an old review about the importance of a dash button, and now I can agree 100% with it. This needs a dash button also, you can even make the sprint shoes something else more useful. Or less!

I was disappointed that not all the enemies were changed. Or their battle formations for that matter. In fact, save for a few select enemies, they're roughly equal to vanilla. I feel that monsters are important to change, their scripts too. It gives a new feel to the game, that you're not doing the same thing, even if the plot and characters are changed, you know?

I beat that Manic Mane thing at Lete River and so far I've yet to see any event change. The script is heavily modified, though. I like how the plot works around the events. Everyone knows Twilight but she doesn't because amnesia, stuff like that. Will this get better? One of the reasons I want to beat RotDS despite being hard as balls is to check the new events and dialogue. I find this lacking any new events being lackluster...

Gilda killed me while I was waiting for instructions for the new blitz. I had no idea blitzes would be exact duplicates of the originals. Oh well.

Holy cow is Magic expensive! You barely get around 20 or 30 MP and spells cost way more than they did! Granted, you've got two magic users instead of one, but dang.

I like how the Banon stand-in speaks. Took me a while to notice it was in rhyme, too. Great job with that!

As for bugs/glitches, I found nothing gamebreaking, but I found small issues of no importance.
Talking about the Whelk, the last line is barely cut off, leaving out the full stop. I don't know if there was something else beyond the dialogue box.
Pinkie comes equipped with a shield. If you take it out, it can't be equipped again. Either it was the wrong intended shield or you forgot to add it to Pinkie's equippable list.
Due to some sprites' assimetry, when they shake their head or do something likewise, the entire sprite flips around, making it look awkward because it looks like their whole body is moving too.
Flash Sentry (best name)'s ability is Tools, yet it comes equipped with none. I assumed I would find them later, but they appear with Celestia, as if the tools were hers. It should probably be switched around.

That's about it for now. I might play some more, but I don't expect to finish this anytime soon. Sorry!

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 05-16-2016

I know about the sprites, unfortunately there's very little to be done with that. The ponies are a very colorful cast of characters and there just isn't enough room on the palettes to give them shading. The flipping tails and stuff I'll jokingly say is consistent with the show's vector art, but yeah, again not much I can do.

The attack scripts are mostly unchanged for normal enemies, they just tend to attack more often than in vanilla. Bosses though more often deviate.

The hack's full differences in terms of gameplay should become clear around the Battle of Narshe. By that time you'll realize that HP and MP growth are much lower, and that's the point where the specialized equipment pieces come into play. Like, pegasi equip stuff that boosts Speed and Evade, Unicorns have stuff that boost Magic and MBlock, and Earth Pony equipment raises Strength and Stamina and tends to give a better defense boost.

That aside, in terms of events there's nothing new. Some are significantly changed, but only a couple.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 05-25-2016

So, how are folks finding it?

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Jristz - 06-08-2016

I play (beta 2) up until you meet Zecora.
Also I play up until you defeat Discord in the snow hill in WoB (Beta 1)

* I noticd you chage the Shadow/Flutter music, thansk, but still a little 8-bit compared with the other song (maybe if you have time you can 8-bit-ish the rest to match the song setting)
* I know about the sprite limitation but I really thing that the walking and other poses can be improbed a little, specialy that when someponies close they eyes you can se 2 piels that the closed eye not cover.
*In beta 1 the dificult at the start was a little excesive but now in beta 2 is near the same as in vanilla (or maybe my tipycal gameplay is unchanged in beta 2), in beta 1 I really was micromanagin the inventory, the only problem is that early enemies fell so powerfull in beta 1 but they fell like vanilla in beta 2 just with more hp.
* in beta 2 I get one shot in the magitec armor by the mammoths, even fighting all the battles either alone or in company you don't have enought hp to survive Blizzard

Now from Pony Fantasy 6, the game I remember try make the hp and mp and stats curves match either the species but this ended in some in-universe character that are supposed to be delicate flowers get tanky as hay, in Filly Fantasy 6 you are starting to get in the same terrytory, so dont worry about tweaking the hp and mp curves manyaly, but try not commit the same error and say Fluttershy is a delicate flower and then give the highest hp and def.

that all, when I got time I will continue with beta 2.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 06-08-2016

Thanks for the feedback, good luck with the rest of your playthrough. Smile

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 06-17-2016

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to fix it? I have a download link for the Rom if someone wouldn't mind fixing it, if it's easy to do, please?

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - dn - 06-18-2016

That reeks of a register or stack mismatch, but I have no access to your code and no idea where it would be stemming from.