FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:31 PM)Catone Wrote: Still, I do have to wonder how that battle palette is loaded for mtek for my own interest as well.

I have nothing to back this up, but maybe it just load the overworld palette for battle as well. Checking banks $C1 and $C2 for loading similar to $C0 worth a shot.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Tenkarider - 03-18-2016

Impossibru, i changed in one of my previous tasks chocobo's palette from that screen of FF3usME, which is the same of M-tek map sprite and while the changes were visible in map sprite(tested it doing new game), the battle sprite was still the original one.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-18-2016

I misspoke. I mean that changing the colors on Palette 7 does not change the armor's color in battle. I made Palette 7 a bunch of bright blues and greens. It showed up on the field, but in battle it looked the same as always. I'm sorry I didn't make this clear, please do not be angry. I am aware that usME cannot permanently change field palettes. I took your question "where is it located" to be in the context of "which palette does it use."

(03-18-2016, 04:01 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: Impossibru, i changed in one of my previous tasks chocobo's palette from that screen of FF3usME, which is the same of M-tek map sprite and while the changes were visible in map sprite(tested it doing new game), the battle sprite was still the original one.

You're wrong. I just changed the index and saved the ROM and made a BINARY COMPARISON of both ROM and not a single byte is changed. You should believe the message the editor creator have put there. Edit: *kapa*

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 03-18-2016

Not sure if I'm reading everything correctly, but I do recall changing palette 7 (the colors, not the palette number used) and as Drakey said, the battle sprite didn't change. While loading the overworld palette would have been the logical thing to do, it kinda seems like they are loading something else.

A quick sloppy test might be to change the browns of some normal battle palettes to something that would stand out (possibly import a full palette of neon green) and see if it has any effect in battle. Would have to check the battle palettes one by one though (hence the reason I said sloppy test), the result would either show it is in fact using a battle palette, or hint that its using something else.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Rydel - 03-18-2016

I found where the palette data for the magitek armor in battle is stored.  For some reason, it's at $02D1D4 (Headered)
I've tested and confirmed that changing the palette here does result in the new palette being shown in battle, but I haven't done any testing to see if anything else uses those colors.

It looks like one of the reasons it was so hard to find was that it was using a red (00BF) for transparent instead of white (7FFF)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Tenkarider - 03-18-2016

*kapa*?  Laugh
Well, i don't know what changes or not in the hex but playing the game the color in the map was changed, i'd love to make free changes(0 bytes but the game is changed) but that sounds fishy... what's happened then?

I thought Tenkarider, DrakeyC and Catone were talking about changing the palette index. I'm just gonna leave the thread now.

Props to Rydel for finding the palette, a task we all failed at.

Edit: @Rydel: How did you find the palette? I know how to do it with a GBA ROM and no$gba, but never done it with a SNES ROM... I know SNES9x debugger can dump palettes onscreen though. You might also just looked for the same 32 bytes string in a hex editor...

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 03-18-2016

Hell yeah, props indeed. That's some useful info right there, gotta write that down.

Kinda interested in how you tracked it down as well really, the method anyway. I was drawing a blank.

And yeah, kinda got the feeling at one point we were all talking about something different. Thought I was just imagining things.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Rydel - 03-18-2016

I opened the rom in No$sns with the VRAM viewer open to Palettes and got into a battle with the Magitek armor equipped.
I looked at the palettes to see which one I needed, then wrote down the RGB codes for each color in the palette.
I converted those to a 16 bit color (1 bit for transparency, then 5 bits each for Blue, Green, and Red in that order) and put them in Little Endian format.
(ex: The first color was 1F red, 05 Green, 00 Blue, which is 0000000010111111 or 0x00BF, which becomes BF 00)

By putting all the colors together, I had the palette, which I then searched for in a hex editor.
(I actually only did the first 5 colors. That only got 1 match, so I didn't need to check further. )