FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-17-2016

To be honest, it doesn't help. The earlier problem had nothing to do with the Magitek Armor, actually. The new sprite I had was set in the lower part of the 64x64 block, so that screwed up pointers or something; moving the sprite to the top fixed it.

Now, I need to know how to change the Magitek Armor's palette in battle. I can confirm changing the field palette does nothing, tried it to see.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 03-17-2016

Didn't say it would help with that issue, said for your information, so when you start seeing a suit of magitek armor glitched on top of your custom enemies that are larger than vanilla or in a different mold/formation, you might not be surprised and already have the information to fix it, or at least get around it.

As for battle palette, would think it to be right there with code to load the graphic to vram, possibly after a check for magitek armor... I could guess but it would probably be wrong and wouldn't help you find it anyway. Will do a few searches in the morning if nobody else already happens to know.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-17-2016

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. I checked the C2 disassembles and found mentions of the Armor, but nothing to indicate palette.

Also, apologies if I came off as rude in my previous post. I will keep your advice in mind for future use, but I don't think it'll come up. I haven't messed around with formations much, just molds to get the enemies to fit.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 03-18-2016

Currently, I'd lean toward it happening in C1/ but still mostly a guess. Around C1/2E2D, it handles character palettes and checks for status that would change them (such as frozen/petrify) but as I said before, their palette is overwritten by Magitek's so it should happen after the normal PC battlepalettes are normally loaded. Course I never tried poisoning or freezing a fourth character while they were all in armor, so not sure if that code would modify MTek's palette overwrite or not.

Battle intro events (how the PC enter the field before battle) is done at C1/FEEA area, but mostly undocumented (least in my book) short of a few lines. Don't recall if battle intro moves are changed if in MTek or not so not sure that is any help either.

Then there is the chance it is done during the monster loading code (drawing monsters on the field/loading molds) which I've never looked into amd have no clue where it is. MTek's battle palette may even use a monster palette, not sure how to find it either way though. I'd say a debugger hunt would be the answer but again no clue what to look for, sorry.

I've wondered about this before but never looked into it, now I know why. With a case like that it could be handled in a direct and sloppy line of code that contains no logic whatsoever... or maybe just a simple ifthen statement streamlined into something that is always over looked... Gonna need help smarter than me on this one.

In regards to other, adjusted molds are what I was talking about. Regardless of the formation or number of monsters they still have to fit on a 128x128 grid. 3 64x64 monsters don't fit into a 128x128 square, and two 64x64 monsters won't fit in the 96x128 monster grid left after Mtek armor is drawn. Eitherway, if any of your monster edits ran into that issue you'll find it it testing easy enough, kinda hard to miss.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 03-18-2016

(03-17-2016, 09:42 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I can confirm changing the field palette does nothing, tried it to see.

Where is it located?

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-18-2016

It uses palette 7.

(03-17-2016, 09:42 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I can confirm changing the field palette does nothing, tried it to see.

You're not confirming anything since you don't know where the palette table (or index) is located if any. You're stating that it can't be changed with FF3usME, which we all know because there's a message saying so in the editor. Palettes are located at $E68000, there's a few places it is loaded in bank $C0 based on a X index but I don't have the time to trace for you where the X index is calculated, if based on a table like I was talking a few posts back. This is for overwold palette, I'm not sure if it is set differently in battle for that specific sprite.

Edit: there might also be an branching based on sprite ID like Catone says.

Actually, usME doesn't even show a "battle palette" for MagiTek armor, only the overworld, so there isn't a message saying it can't change that. So I'd hazard a guess, he confirmed that changing the only palette displayed does not effect in battle and tis true, it doesn't. In other words, it loads palette 7 from somewhere else. The battle palette table doesn't go that high either. Almost has to be a special case palette load.

Edit: Since it is palette 7 it uses, it at least should be loading from E6/8000 based on an index. Still leaves to question when. Since it over writes the character (leaving that 4th character using palette 7) still think it would have to be done after normal loading of PC battle palettes, else character 4 should be over writing mtek's palette.

I was reffering the overwold palette. You can't change a palette index that is not even shown in the editor.

"overworld palette index cannot be saved here."

[Image: IDopOa5l.png]

(03-18-2016, 02:16 PM)Catone Wrote: So I'd hazard a guess, he confirmed that changing the only palette displayed does not effect in battle and tis true, it doesn't.

Asking someone where he found the index to change and being responded "It use palette 7" clearly show he did not tried anything outside the editor that can't change the palette anyway.

I'll be honest, once apon a time I changed that one box next to "Overworld/Towns" and expected it to work in battle... can't blame a guy for dreaming.

You got me on the message though, could have swore for some reason it wasn't shown there, being a smart ass does tend to bite back sometimes.

Still, I do have to wonder how that battle palette is loaded for mtek for my own interest as well. I've thought about but never seriously looked into it. The looking I did this morning turned up virtually nothing but that doesn't mean much considering I've all but forgotten what values it would check and don't have anything remotely close to a setup ready for debugging such a thing either.

Actually even typing this much has put me behind on what I should be doing. Will have to add "mtek battle palette" to my todo list.