FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 03-02-2016

"Frig. I jinxed it. Sombra entering the Sealed Gate, looks screwy. I'll have a look at that thread."

Yeah, damn that map, and a handful of others. Unfortunately, there's not too much that can be done to solve it, without some sacrifice.
The gate doorway is being colored by a 'modify background palette' command in the entrance event (event the map uses at all times), so it is coloring all objects/npcs that are palette 6 on that map no matter what, characters included. It's quite a b*t*h to work around. I had to just let it happen on some of the more important maps that need to keep the modified palette command in the entrance event, while other's, like Zozo, I was able to just remove the object that was being modified (the crane) and the command as well then. One of my main characters is palette 6, I'd imagine in your case it will be much easier to deal with since it's just Banon and Gestahl, as you said.

As for that particular map, though... I can't really think of what to do except maybe temporarily have gestahl there (that's Samba right?) use a different palette if another one looks decent enough, that or remove the gateway NPC there and the entrance event command. Come to think of it, I had the same issue with my palette 6 getahl on that map... It's when they open it already, after Thamasa? I had to make a duplicate Sealed Gate map on one of the unused maps, and obviously did not include the modify object palette command in the entrance event. I think that's what I did anyway.

I'm still wishing someday someone will be able to find a legit workaround for this issue, to free up palette 6.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-02-2016

Well, what I did, following that thread, is find the entrance event for Sombra and change which palette is changed.

Quote:CB/39C3: 60 Change background layer $0E to palette $13

I changed the 0E to 0F. Which palette will that screw up?

If I absolutely must, I have a single spare NPC palette. If I have to, I can make a second Sombra sprite there, recolor it on Sombra's original palette, and use it for the Sealed Gate bit. First, you tell me, what will my current change do?

I'm not too sure what background layer $0F is, as we know background layer $0E is for the NPC range, which is how the command changes the palette for palette 6 NPCs, but changing the 0E to 0F I'm not sure what it will do, would require testing, but the fact that the game never does this leads me to think it's not the best solution lol.

EDIT: Actually, it does change background layer 0F many times, I was searching wrong.

So yeah, check it out and see what it does. Though, it will not color the gate or something on that map correctly which is what it's supposed to do there and why the command is used, that much I can be sure about.

EDIT - Well, my thinking is, even if it does recolor something oddly, the worst that can happen is the rocks or an NPC looks weird in the earlier cutscenes there. If it's an NPC I'll just change palette, if it's the rocks, I don't give a chocobo's ass.

*sigh*

The IAF event isn't loading the proper sprite for Chupon... check the event editor implies it loads a separate sprite and then replaces it with an event or something.

Is there an easy solution someone knows off the top of their head because I am still tired from the earlier mess and really don't wanna deal with this again so soon.

I'm guessing you expanded his sheet? Does the sprite look okay in the Level Editor?

Nope. I was using a static sprite for Chupon, since he doesn't move in that sequence anyway.

EDIT - I see, the static sprite is sprite 70, Owzer is sprite 71, that's it. So how do I fix that?

Can you post a pic of it highlighted in the Level Editor so I can see the flags and sprite? It's hard to offer an 'easy solution' when I can't see exactly what the issue is Wink

The issue is the static sprite is sprite 70. It's a single sprite. So the game is trying to load Chupon's side-facing sprite and skips to sprite 71, Owzer.

How do I just make it load the static sprite?

(03-02-2016, 07:43 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Nope. I was using a static sprite for Chupon, since he doesn't move in that sequence anyway.

EDIT - I see, the static sprite is sprite 70, Owzer is sprite 71, that's it. So how do I fix that?

I'm confused. You somehow changed the original Chupon sprite than, to only use one pose? Yes I'd say that probably has something to do with this issue then, if so. What's up with Owzer? Where's he come into this?

But yes, please be sure and elaborate and offer as much info about this like if you moved Chupon static to another spot. Seeing it's flags in LE and knowing which pose is being used is needed to figure this out. You could get it looking right by either messing with some of it's flags in LE now, and changing which direction it faces, but it will take a bit of trial and error. Or, it might now need to have it's pose set in the entrance event for that map, in order to choose the correct static pose it's on now...

I don't even know what the f**k is going on with the Laser Bay sprite. Looks fine in the sprite thing.

I'm about ready to punch my computer screen in right now. Been testing fine all week and now all this bullshit falls on me...

[Image: Playtesting_00018_zpsiprvvo99.png]