FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 03-02-2016

Hmm, looks like a last 4 color issue on him. Are you aware of this issue already? You can't use the last 4 colors of a palette to color your battle sprites or they will mess up in battle. I think we might have went over this though at some point though. But didn't you use the Egger's patch to allow for them then? If not, looks like you could easily re-arrange his battle palette colors & re-color him (and possibly others) correctly. If you did use that patch, then I guess for some reason it doesn't take actors past the normal PC range into account.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 03-02-2016

*facepalm* Of course, the last four colors...

I don't know if I applied the patch or not, but I'll give it a shot.

Will it break anything, do you think?

I can't speak for the palette patch myself, other than it refuses to work with my hack after hours of trying lol, but I think it should be okay with yours...but no promises! Seriously though, I think you should be okay, it has been confirmed working by Zozma at least, he was using it with no issues. Just make sure to take a look at the readme and free space it takes up just to be sure you are okay, if he included that info.

Well, there's the answer.

Quote:One effect of this patch will be to expand your ROM's size to 32 Mb. It is
designed to be applied to an unaltered, non-expanded ROM. There is no need to
expand the ROM yourself before applying the patch. In fact, if you apply this
patch to a ROM that you have already expanded, and you have written your own
code or data to the expanded region, this patch will overwrite that data. So,
apply this patch first, before applying your own additional modifications.

I'll try to figure out how to something with the rest of the info he provides.

EDIT - I need to use an assembler... I'm gonna see about rearranging my colors. See what I can do.

Hmm...shoot.

So what's all in your expanded F banks thus far? Ah is that where the expanded monster sprites are? There's a chance you could use this patch and export your data in the F banks (first), then re-inject it afterwords, but only if this doesn't conflict with anything, yeah.

I'll just rearrange colors. KISS and all that. Shouldn't take too long. Thanks for your help.

That's what I'd do, since you don't really need the patch for more colors or anything.
And yeah, np.

Okay, lucky me, Palette 6 has most of the colors I need, and it doesn't seem to be used by any other characters except Banon, who uses some of the same colors as Sombra will need anyway.

I'll have to fit red in so some NPCs may look weird, but that's easily checked and fixed.

Are you aware of the issue with using palette 6 for characters outside of battle? They will just look really weird on some maps that use an entrance event to color objects that are using palette 6, which is basically a placeholder palette. More info here about palette 6: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1498&highlight=placeholder

It's okay to use and won't show it's ugly side effects often, but when you see you palette 6 character or NPC look really strange on certain maps or events, now you will know why. Smile

Of course...

Well, I've already edited Palette 6 plenty, and nothing has stuck out so far. I'm only changing one more color to accommodate Sombra's cape, so I should be okay.

EDIT - Colors redone, no NPCs look hideous, and Sombra shows up fine in battle. Woohoo!

Frig. I jinxed it. Sombra entering the Sealed Gate, looks screwy. I'll have a look at that thread.