FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-18-2016

Well there are cases of overlapping sprites in formations at least to my idea of what overlapping is, and depending on which monster is in which spot dictates if they will be in back or front of another sprite. For instance check out formation 25 (Magitek Armor claw going threw soldier's head), or 28 (Trilium behind the Tusker) as a couple of example.

Also, to cover this as well, I remember having an issue with the moulds cutting into each other's sprite graphic on larger formations, at least when testing with snes9x. Like certain spells would show the part of the monster that the mould was cutting into disappear while the character would walk up to attack, or certain spell animations. Maybe this is just for certain moulds though, I didn't try and research it much just moved some of the sprites around a bit to compensate as best I could.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 02-18-2016

The moulds may be overlapped on the field yes (to an extent), but not on the 128x128 grid of vram. Not sure how to say that more clearly. I'm not talking about the placement of the mould boxes on the screen, but the actual amount of monster drawn into the boxes. At that point I could have swore it would layer them if the boxes were overlapped on the screen. Or possibly you can overlap the boxes, but you can't overlap the sprites actually drawn... that really is hard to explain.

And no, by falling out I ment I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to type a full sentance. Tend to ramble more than normal when I fall asleep mid post.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-18-2016

Okay, I see. Thanks.

Back to my original question, though - if the sprites don't display properly in US, how can I give them properly sized molds once I begin replacing those images? Do I just need to keep track of how big each individual image is?

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 02-18-2016

(02-18-2016, 07:43 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: if the sprites don't display properly in US, how can I give them properly sized molds once I begin replacing those images? Do I just need to keep track of how big each individual image is?

FF3usME is not open-source. There is no way really to fix this, unless you use something like IDA Pro and change the code at the assembly level. Keeping track of the size of the monsters is the almost the only thing you can do.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-18-2016

There's probably some creative ways to do this, for instance drawing the exact size of the box moulds in paint, and then overlaying them over the monster sprites in usme lol, this is an idea off the top of my head. Besides that, you can import your monsters into another ROM (obviously not all of them or at once due to not enough bytes), and then use that as a reference when editing your monster/formation/moulds.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-18-2016

Good ideas, thanks for the tips. Smile

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-20-2016

I can't help but feel like I missed something here. :/

[Image: Bahamut_zpsqu1n2nqd.png]
[Image: Spike%20Attempt%202_zpsmsi2n3yq.png]

[Image: Demo%20Test_00023_zpsbsf21mpy.png]

Also, is it possible to get rid of Alexander's viser that moves in his summon animation?

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-20-2016

I'm not too sure but sometimes a sprite graphic being placed over an original one needs to have some part of the sprite being in the same place as the last one, which yours basically is, except for the top left wing portion. It has something to do with a graphics buffer trying to still read the original sprite that is housed in its particular mould, I believe. To test if this is the issue, try placing some pixel in the top left (and possibly right), where Bahamut's wing extended to, and see if it shows up then in battle.

That viser can be removed yes, it's the special animation for that summon, index 3...I think.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 02-20-2016

Ah, so the visor is part of the actual casting animation? Was leaning toward that, least it seemed more reasonable than being an extra/multiple sprites (like a PC sprite waving thing).

The other I was thinking it sounded like some special code but why would one esper have a special code (even bahamut) just to load a wing? Unless it falls into part of the casting animation... actually, a better question: are espers (the actual esper sprite) drawn as spell animation type code or do they run an entrance move type script? (I mean same concept as the script that runs for having the PCs do their entrance method at the start of battle... battle event type code I always thought.)

Eitherway sounds like something interesting to look at.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-20-2016

For Alex - index 3?

For Bahamut, ugh. I did what you said, no go. So I spent the last 40 minutes cutting up the original Bahamut sprite in various ways to see what it can do without and what it can't. And I got conflicting results. In one instance getting rid of the three lower body parts on the right, and it worked fine. In another, getting rid of them ruined it. Another time, I deleted the wings bit by bit until they were gone, and it worked fine. Then I deleted everything but the very tip of the wing, and it worked fine.

The only guess I have at this point is it has multiple pointers, maybe, but it doesn't need all of them.

EDIT - I decided to go with a palette swap of Bahamut. It actually looks decent, and for the character it's supposed to be, it's just gonna be funnier looking like this.