FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 02-13-2016

(02-13-2016, 07:19 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: So replacing 80 with F1 makes the screenshake but the head isn't there?

Quote:try to substitute the bytes leading up to what seems like the main command for the head to appear and screen shake (the 80 89 01) with some other byte that basically does nothing important for the animation code (1F).

You should try what he did and see for yourself. No need to approve everything you're going to attempt to be 100% sure before even attempting it.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-13-2016

I DID attempt it. And history has proven what works for you guys, sometimes for inexplicable reasons, does not always work for me. So I feel the need to ask to clarify.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-13-2016

Read what I said carefully:
"substitute the bytes leading up to what seems like the main command for the head to appear and screen shake (the 80 89 01) with some other byte that basically does nothing important for the animation code (1F)."

I said nothing about replacing 80, or rather the whole command 80 89 01, I said the bytes leading up to it, the previous commands before that one, replace them with 1F. Look at the script, replace the bytes leading up to the 80 89 01 with 1F, and put an FF after the 80 89 01 to end the script. The rest of the bytes after in the script will no longer matter so they can be FF as well just to look more organized.

I don't wanna get in the habit of showing you exactly how some things are done to the point where you don't get to experience the joy of doing it yourself lol, especially in this case since I'm sure I did it really ghetto. Although, I just did...you just gotta do the changes on your side there which should be acceptable enough to you. I really just wanted to show you how not to dismiss something as impossible right away, and how a bit of trickery can get you the results you seek.

EDIT: And while you did attempt to do it, you attempted for all what had to be about 5-10 minutes before reporting right back asking for help/how to do it, while I did not ask for help and messed around with it until I got it, which is a lesson I'm trying to portray.

Thank you. And now, if you please, a note.

I spent 25 minutes picking apart the animation, figuring out what starts the screen shake, what makes the head's intro animation happen, and eventually found the specific byte that starts the screen shake. I blanked out the bytes in the sequence leading up to that point with FF, and the head still appeared when the screen shake began. I don't know what F1 does that it stops this, but I would not have guessed this is possible from my own observations where I did much as you did to no success. In lieu of that, I saw a single byte controlling both parts of the animation, so I changed it so some other bytes to see what it did - every time, it crashed the game. But I suppose I *could* have tried the hundreds of possible byte combinations, blind to what I'm actually doing and if what I wanted to do was possible anyway. So I'm sorry I gave up so easily.

I do not say this out of anger, but out of dejection - please do not always presume I run to you guys for help without trying things myself. I do. And I'm sorry I'm not as smart as you guys when it comes to these things.

Okay your right, 25 minutes it was.

'Blanking' the bytes with FF is your problem, that would end the script, as you could have researched while looking at that document - all the bytes, commands, and info is there to see. FF ends the script. That's kinda what I mean by not trying to learn first, before deeming it impossible and asking for help.

I went in this having the same amount of experience editing animation scripts as you: none.
But, I figured that some command/byte that seems to do basically nothing might work as a NOP or sorts, to 'blank' out the part of the script that deals with the placement and building of that head. Nothing to do with how smart I am, I'm at a 7th grade math level and have killed off the majority of my brain cells thanks to many, many parties. You'd probably have the upper hand than I, had it not been for the experience I've gained in general.

I know you've done stuff without asking for help, but sometimes I'm just trying to tell you it will take longer than 25 minutes and it's not impossible. Doing harder stuff requires more time and learning, instead of instant answers from those who might be able to do it. You'll get there as well, but not by just getting blatant answers. Think of it like school Smile Much of the time with this stuff it's not an issue of how smart someone is, but how determined and patient to learn...without getting too bitchy lol. And of course, experience comes along the way.

Sorry I'm bitchy, then. I tried to be polite. In the future I'll just keep trying for hours.

Okay NOW your being bitchy lol. Or rather, sarcastic...
And it seems my lil speech has fallen on deaf ears =(
I'm trying to teach you along the way, you see, but all you seem to want is a 'cheat sheet'. And get a bit unraveled when that doesn't happen.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 02-13-2016

(02-13-2016, 07:49 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I do not say this out of anger, but out of dejection -  please do not always presume I run to you guys for help without trying things myself. I do. And I'm sorry I'm not as smart as you guys when it comes to these things.

I understand now and thanks for clarifying this. However sometimes you give the opposite impression (to me at least). There no shame to be a newbie and ask newbie questions, but my personal impression is sometime you just want something get done for you hack the quickest way possible (e.g. being told which bytes changed to what or asking about an easily verifiable example) and not understanding a more general principle and apply it. As I said I might be wrong but it's the impression I get. Don't think I blame you of anything.

Either way I wouldn't place this impression as a "bad attitude" (neither a good one), I was just the opposite when I started: I was reading numerous threads on different forums, searching the whole web and trying multiple things before even asking about something. Some people are more toward the opposite but in this case I'm less available to answer their questions.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Tenkarider - 02-13-2016

8 bits, not 7.

And yeah... even if i asked lots of stuff to make reverse HP/MP (that did help to barely reach 10% of my reverse goal, i dunno if it was due to lack of knowledge of others on the matter, mostly it was due to the time required to do the whole thing)
in the very end if i didn't do all the rest of the work on my own CotG hack would never exist.
It took months to figure out how to do that and i spent a lot of days without even knowing what i was doing, really.

Said that you'll surely receive a lot of help, but the outcome of your project depends only on you.

Quote:Okay NOW your being bitchy lol. Or rather, sarcastic...
And it seems my lil speech has fallen on deaf ears =(
I'm trying to teach you along the way, you see, but all you seem to want is a 'cheat sheet'. And get a bit unraveled when that doesn't happen.

I'm not unravelled. I'm not angry at the game. I'm angry at you. I'm angry at you for insulting me, talking down to me, and mocking my efforts to do things on my own.

Quote:I understand now and thanks for clarifying this. However sometimes you give the opposite impression (to me at least). There no shame to be a newbie and ask newbie questions, but my personal impression is sometime you just want something get done for you hack the quickest way possible (e.g. being told which bytes changed to what or asking about an easily verifiable example) and not understanding a more general principle and apply it. As I said I might be wrong but it's the impression I get. Don't think I blame you of anything.

I concede, when I started here, yes I did just want quick answers. I'm a straightforward person in general. I do look at some threads and tutorials to try and figure things out, but the subject is still confusing at times and it doesn't help that a lot of threads here seem to give multiple answers to the same question, so I'm not sure what to do, especially since there may be things I don't know about that will bite me. The variable thing is a good example - I didn't know only certain variables are safe to use in battle scripts, and if I'd kept going ahead using Variable 33, I have no idea what that could have done to my game down the road.