FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-06-2016

Patch report just shows everything that's been changed from the original, or previous version, not specific patches you've used.
To make a patch, use a program like Lunar IPS. Choose to create a patch, then it will tell you to select an original clean ROM, so do that, then it will ask for the changed ROM (your hack), and that's it, a patch will pop out.

Then with the same program, choose to 'apply ips patch', and make sure the create ips patch log box is checked. Then when you patch over the clean ROM, it will generate an IPS report.

Make sure both the clean ROM and your hack have or do not have a header or the report will be off. Just have them both no header so it's easy to match up the addresses.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-07-2016

Okay, got the patch report. Any idea where exactly in it I should look for a cause for this? I'm not even sure how to read it.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 02-07-2016

I'm not sure, no, not being able to see it lol.

Really though I'm not sure either what would cause this so no I'm not sure where to look. I'd try injected clean data over though by like whole banks until you can narrow it down further, backing up your current broken ROM of course...

Can post the report here if you'd like and I can take a look and explain to you how to read it - it's the offsets on the left that is all the addresses of the changed data, and it shows the byte range and size of the patch.

Enjoy. Thanks for your help once again.

https://www.mediafire.com/?74j9gmx6gpxie75

Wow shite, yes that is a lot of changed data. I didn't think it would be this much from all what you've done. I'm aware of the programs altering & shifting large chunks of data, but damn... Well, like I was saying earlier, try for instance to inject the whole clean C4 bank bank in, you'll see in the report there the changed to C4:
from 041D78 (this is C4/1D70)
to
047DB1 (the end of changes in C4)

So basically try injecting the whole clean C4 bank back and try it out, if it still glitches, it's not that and try another...
This is hella ghetto way to do it and I'm almost embarrassed to recommend doing this, but when you don't know what or where exactly to look, it's the only way I can think of and has saved my ass countless times Wink

I'm not sure looking at this log where to start though, but I know doing this technique I could most likely find out the general area or bank once that freeze no longer happens really fast, then narrow it down bit by bit.
I guess I'd start by injecting back the whole E bank (E00000-EFFFFF), and like I said C4 bank.

Once you know which offset(s) is causing this, you can go about tackling it much much easier. ...Unless there has been tons of corruption beyond what is rationally fixable... I mean, everything can be fixed back up to working, but hopefully it won't knock off any of your work in the process.

Hopefully. I played past that and up to leaving Narshe, aside from some minor graphical glitches that were easily fixed, it was fine. So yeah, hope this can be sorted out.

I feel dumb asking this but - how do I copy over and inject whole chunks of code like this? And what does the E-bank and C-bank do? The disassemblies I have bookmarked don't say.

Forgot to say, usually you can have a much smaller IPS report by comparing to a previous working version of your hack...

(02-07-2016, 12:50 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: I feel dumb asking this but - how do I copy over and inject whole chunks of code like this? And what does the E-bank and C-bank do? The disassemblies I have bookmarked don't say.

With a hex editor. You need to find the function to dump and inject data, with windhex this under Edit at the top, 'inject binary data' and 'dump binary data'. You would first go to the bank in question with the clean ROM, and dump the binary data, the whole bank of C40000-C4FFFF. Soooo, you would dump it like:
start address - 00040000
end address - 0004FFFF
dump!

Then inject that right at the same spot in your ROM, thus restoring that bank or w/e.

Not sure what disassemblies you're looking at, but the 'C' bank, well it does many many things, it gets broken down more like C0, C1, C2, C3 etc.
See here: http://www.slickproductions.org/docs.php?id=FF6

I forget what exactly E0-EF bank does, but I see it's been changed and I remember having some issues there before...I dunno, I'm just guessing 100% what to try first. You should get the basic idea though of the process and that's all I'm trying to explain.

Okay, went back through my back-ups. At January 28th, found one where it works. The next one on the 29th, it does not. So fortunately I have a very precise time window to look at. Here's the patch report from the two versions; the patch was made from the good version and patched over the broken version.

https://www.mediafire.com/?xc2z81aesnh6gy2

For now I'm calling it a night, will read replies and sort this out tomorrow.

I'm retracing my steps from Jan 29. Dumped the location stuff from my newest Rom and imported it into the last working back-up, event still works fine, so thankfully I don't need to do that again. Dumped the C3 bank and injected it to save myself the menu and spell work, too. Need to figure out how to do the Rage/Leap thing again, but that's fine.

Now I'm adjusting the spell animations.

EDIT - Spell animations were all done, no problems.

Back to the pointer glitch when trying to import sprite sheets...

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Jristz - 02-10-2016

Santa Celestia...

I can believe that someother IS remading PF6, I remmeber how pumped I was way back and so far still my faourite Rom Hack from fandoms, I remember the last may that John respond when I try to encourage the guy but he ended giving up... and like a year later how happy I was when RydelFox (In DA) post the real-last version (when the website disapeared) including the new ponified enemies sprites that she do for PF6 [Maybe you can reuse some if you ask she].
(PM for the whole think about QuickBronyFix, and the design changes I know if you want)

I'm emosiounated (that a real word?) watching the screenshoot so far in this thread about the project and I wish you the best, and don't forget "dont let that Ramble Over throw your work away".