FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 02-02-2016

That's his party member data, as an NPC he uses a different palette.

Alternatively to the Hex stuff, I'm gonna look at the palettes. I think it'd be easier to let Banon use Palette 03 and change another party member reliant on it (one that doesn't use a second palette somewhere) to another palette.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 02-02-2016

(02-01-2016, 05:36 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Okay, I do need help on this. I tried the event editor (and was told it is crap), so I have to do it in Hex but I dunno how. 

I guess you haven't tried the level editor in ZoneDoctor? Banon is there, map 110. NPC get the palette set/changed with the NPC data most of the time, it has nothing to do with event code.

So, this Location Editor to let me change NPC sprites. In tandem with the expansion thread, is that how I can make more unique NPC sprites and replace them on the maps?

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2837&highlight=palette

(02-02-2016, 11:53 AM)DrakeyC Wrote: So, this Location Editor to let me change NPC sprites. In tandem with the expansion thread, is that how I can make more unique NPC sprites and replace them on the maps?

The link you provided is about expanding the number of different battle sprites, but Caton seems to have working NPCs (see this post). I'm not sure where his progress are. You'd also need a modified version of FF6LE he has.

Hm, okay. Something else I thought of, I was thinking of merging some character roles (Vargas, Dadaluma in Zozo, and Number 128 would all be the same character for story reasons, and the 128 palette swap in Kefka's Tower would be a robot version). So I'm thinking now, if I reuse Vargas's sprite for Dadaluma, that means I can make Dadaluma's sprite something else and reuse it elsewhere, right? In relation, is there an easy way to find out which sprites are used on which maps? Like, "Sprite 17 is on map 1, 5, 6."

Also, I noticed a few sprites (85, 87, 89) are blank. What are they for?

(02-02-2016, 12:32 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: So I'm thinking now, if I reuse Vargas's sprite for Dadaluma, that means I can make Dadaluma's sprite something else and reuse it elsewhere, right?

Absolutely, as long as spritesheet imported in FF3usME have the same number of poses of the one you're replacing.

(02-02-2016, 12:32 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Also, I noticed a few sprites (85, 87, 89) are blank. What are they for?

There's no feature in ZoneDoctor to see where sprite IDs are used. You have to check individual NPC. There's also the NPC data document available on Izmogelmo's site that tell the graphic entity (sprite ID) of each NPC in the game among other stuff. You may try a text search in that document with your sprite ID.

Edit: Not sure but "blank NPCs" may have their graphics loaded in a special way or the sprite/direction combination makes the graphic invisible in ZoneDoctor (possible?). They can also be used for treasure chests purpose. In any way they are not useless, check their event (in event dump) to understand what they do.

Edit: Sorry I thought you meant "blank NPC" in ZoneDoctor. The sprite you are reffering to seems to be unused but you can only insert there three separate 8x8 graphics. A good thing to do would also be to check the NPC data document mentionned above to make sure these sprite IDs are not used by some NPC(s) for a reason.

Okay, if they're blank and just 8x8, I doubt I'll have much use for them.

Thanks again for your help, loving this editor. Laugh

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 02-02-2016

I'm fairly certain, mostly sure, there are not any "blank" NPC's slots.

Those are just special cases. For them to display correctly they have to be facing the right direction and then have the proper special settings selected. Not sure how that is handled in Zone Doctor at all. As for LE... you pretty much have to know where that sprite number is used, then go look at the settings.

The order of sprites in usME seems to be mostly correct, however it tends to combine things like Owzer into one sprite, when it actually uses two sprite numbers to display the whole Ozwer. Even then, when I say usME has the order of sprites correct, the "blanks" are still not blank.

Sorry don't have a good answer there, nor can I provide a perfect list. All I can say for certain is, there is no spoon... I mean there is no blank sprite numbers, yeah that one.

(02-02-2016, 04:24 PM)Catone Wrote: however it tends to combine things like Owzer into one sprite, when it actually uses two sprite numbers to display the whole Ozwer.  Even then, when I say usME has the order of sprites correct, the "blanks" are still not blank.

Owzen is 78 and it goes as ..., 77, 78, 79, ... in FF3usME. Are you telling the order after 78 in FF3usME is all shifted by 1 (same goes with those "empty" tiles) and don't match the sprites IDs in FF6LE and the NPC data?

Owzen use 2 NPC, the cranes use like 4. Are you talking about that?

A NPC being maximum 6 tiles, a sprite consisting of 12 will require 2 NPC. A sprite ID can be a whole spritesheet, a PC doesn't use a different sprite ID for every pose.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 02-02-2016

A sprite ID can be a whole sheet, yes, however, Owzer, for instance, actually uses one sprite ID for each half. By expanding one sheet to contain both halves, 1 ID can be freed up and used for something else. But as I said, vanilla Owzer is actually 79 and 80 sprite IDs. (Don't have the list in front of me, it might be 78 and 79, regardless its two consecutive IDs in use). usME displays Owzer as one whole sprite though with only 1 ID number, which, yes shifts all of the following sprites ahead 1 ID higher than what usME shows them as.

All that is until you get up to about ID 87 or so and it starts doing all sorts of funny stuff.

Take the 4Ton weight for instance. To display it properly in the game it is sprite ID 97, facing North, with 8.4 check box checked. Even in LE it still shows up as a glitched slave crown, yet correctly in game. That's also about the same ID range that usME starts showing "blank" sprite IDs, yet all of those I've tested in that area all have a sprite in game that uses those ID numbers and some sort of special formatting to display properly. Once you get up to the crane and elevator platform and some of those others up near the top... I have no clue never looked to hard into it.

All that being said, if you expand those sheets, like Owzer, into full size sheets, then you can place two of the same sprite ID, and have his left half facing North, right half facing South and get the full Owzer from one ID, yet vanilla doesn't do it that way.

The others, like the 4ton weight, flowers, envelope, etc can be turned into normal sprite sheet format and used like any other sprite (least as far as I could ever prove) but I still never figured out why those "blanks" were there at all. Cause the ID definatly isn't empty.

Not saying I'm absolutely correct in my findings, or my explination, but the one thing I can be mostly sure on, if anything, is there isn't any blank or empty sprite IDs below the 160 range. Maybe up past 200, but not down low as usME shows.