FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 01:47 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: I don't need a break. Coming back tomorrow will not make me understand the Hex any better.

And no, the project is not too much for me. I've dealt with setbacks in the palette and the spells and the items, I deal with them, it happens. With the Hex I can't even get to the point I screwed something up, because I don't even know what I'm doing. That C2 disassembler means nothing to me. I looked through it trying to find where it defines menu parameters or whatever, and I don't know if I found it or not.

Honestly, I just want a simple answer. "Go to byte C2A521, that handles what the menu says, blah blah blah." I think I've proven I can follow step-by-step direction well enough.

If people stopped helping you bit by bit, it would definitely be too much for you, imo.

Simple answers on what byte to change exactly etc. etc. will not help you learn in the long run, this I can guarantee. Again, that is a poor attitude to have on a project, you should want to do things for yourself, I mean, unless that's your goal. Answering every beck and call you may have for your project will only go so far. This step by step directions you seem to be taking for granted, that's not usually how it goes you're lucky to have received such help. You seem to not want to do the footwork of reading a hex tutorial and yet you say disparaging remarks about how you don't even know what you're doing - that's probably because we are spoon-feeding you the answers and you're not learning the basics like how to navigate a hex editor first, I guess.

And the only reason I say you might need a break, is because you're bitching and whining a bit about how hard things are, just imagine if you had to do it all solo... Sorry to sounds harsh, just calling it how I see it. In the end, it's supposed to be fun so I'll leave it at that and wish you the best of luck on your project. =)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 01-30-2016

You tell me, then. What do I do? Shall I spend hours watching and reading tutorials to learn Hex editing for the sake of just changing the ability names on the menu? I'm not looking to reprogram FF6. I just want to change what the menu lists the command names as.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 01-30-2016

Hell, what is at C2/A521 anyway?

You also do have to consider, playing with menus is not simple by any means. I could be wrong but Ifor one don't have a hell of a lot on menus. Definatly not in C2 anyway.

Simply put, its just not the best thing to learn on. Not to mention not many people know menu work off the top of their head. Last I saw, there wasn't any tutorials on doing that either.

Okay then, that settles it. Renaming the commands to the originals. If it *is* so complicated that no one knows how to do it, all that had to be said. Thank you.

That said, moving ahead with ability reworking now. I'll look into NPC sprites at a later time, it's a neat extra that isn't a priority.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 01:47 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Honestly, I just want a simple answer. "Go to byte C2A521, that handles what the menu says, blah blah blah." I think I've proven I can follow step-by-step direction well enough.

I'm not denigrating your enthusiasm, but this statement is not the good attitude to have. Yes your must learn some stuff in order to make changes that that are out of the editors, even something your consider as simple as renaming stuff in menus. First thing to learn is to love the find function of notepad++. Did you actually tried to find the word "Blitz" or "SwTech" in the C3 bank? Yes, bank C3 take cares of the menu. To download it go to the link page, everything is there.

(01-30-2016, 02:19 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: If it *is* so complicated that no one knows how to do it, all that had to be said. Thank you.

I think I know how to do it, I'm just not checking the thread every 30 minutes to see if you need help.

We'll take an example, Blitz. Same things apply to most commands.

2 occurrences:

First one at C3/5C63
First two bytes are x,y position, don't touch those. Last byte must be a 00. If you exceed the length, you must change the pointer in the C3/5C3A table. If you have less character, put whatever you want after the 00 or pad with empty character (maybe FF).

Second one at C3/5CB0
First two bytes are position. Last byte must be a 00. No pointer table. The offset is in the code. Ctrl+F "Blitz" or Ctrl+F "5CB0" (second option is more precise). You'll end up at C3/55DE. Change the LDY params to whatever you need instead of B0 5C.

If you never check the disassembly you'll never understand how more easy is to do something that you can struggle with if you got no documentation.

P.S. I have not tested this but it seems like the logic things to do, please don't blame me if you can't make it work. I'm just trying to give you directions without spending too much of my spare time on someone's else problem.

Okay, I have screenshots this time (as was pointed out, makes things a lot easier).

I referenced the table Gi posted before.

Quote:C3/5C3A: 485C
C3/5C3C: 515C
C3/5C3E: 595C
C3/5C40: 635C
C3/5C42: 6B5C
C3/5C44: 725C
C3/5C46: 795C

(these are what they are pointing to)
C3/5C48: 0D7984ACA99EABAC00 (position of and word "Espers")
C3/5C51: 8D798C9AA0A29C00 (position of and word "Magic")
C3/5C59: 8D7A92B09D939E9CA100 (position of and word "SwdTech")
C3/5C63: 0D7B81A5A2ADB300 (position of and word "Blitz")
C3/5C6B: 8D7B8BA8AB9E00 (position of and word "Lore")
C3/5C72: 0D7C919AA09E00 (position of and word "Rage")
C3/5C79: 8D7C839AA79C9E00 (position of and word "Dance")

I added the new command names to a blank spot in the data, as shown here. Alicorn is Blitz, Party is Dance, Ancient is Lore, and Emulate is Rage. I separated each entry with 00.

[Image: Hex2_zps5bx36hmc.png]

I changed the above pointers at C3/5C as shown here to point to the new locations.

[Image: Hex1_zps4n6kgglt.png]

I changed the normal "Blitz" name at 5C60 to "Testz" to check just in case.

In-game in the menu, it still shows up as "Testz" and the other command names are unchanged.

On a related note, I was able to change the battle messages properly. I figured out the problem - as a text entry, Space enters the blank as "00." I have to put in "FF" to have the whole message. So, I am learning. Smile

I did it privately, but publicly as well - I apologize to everyone here for allowing my frustrations and anger over the Hex to influence my behavior here. I know it's a pain to keep looking up answers for me (I do try to look some up myself, but I admit I usually don't do much with that), and I do appreciate you guys putting in the effort to help me.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 05:37 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: [Image: Hex2_zps5bx36hmc.png]

You forgot the first two bytes of each entry, their position. As an example, for Blitz it is 0D7B. You'll need to rechange your pointers accordingly.

There's also these as described in point 2 of my previous post. I think they refer to the status menu though:

Code:
C3/5C87:    B7818C8FC7FFFFFFFF00          (position of and word "MP...    ")
C3/5C91:    B7818BA8AB9E00                (position of and word "Lore")
C3/5C98:    B781919AA09E00                (position of and word "Rage")
C3/5C9F:    B781839AA79C9E00              (position of and word "Dance")
C3/5CA7:    B78184ACA99EABAC00            (position of and word "Espers")
C3/5CB0:    B78181A5A2ADB300              (position of and word "Blitz")
C3/5CB8:    B78192B09D939E9CA100          (position of and word "SwdTech")
C3/5CC2:    2D428B9500                    (position of and word "LV")
C3/5CC7:    AD42878F00                    (position of and word "HP")
C3/5CCA:    2D438C8F00                    (position of and word "MP")
C3/5CD1:    BB42C000                      (from C3/4EF6, position of and character "/")
C3/5CD5:    3B43C000                      (from C3/4EFC, position of and character "/")
C3/5CD9:    FFA19AACFFA2ADBE00            (" has it!")
C3/5CE2:    394492A4A2A5A500              (position of and word "Skill")
C3/5CEA:    23448B9E9AABA7C5919AAD9E00    (position of and words "Learn rate")
C3/5CF7:    80ADFFA59EAF9EA5FFAEA9C5C5C5  (position of and words "At level up...", note this isn't terminated)

Okay, I see the 0D7B for Blitz, but don't understand what I need to change them to.

Tried troubleshooting various ways to no success. I put 0D7B in front of the Alicorn entry (and changed the pointer accordingly), but that did nothing.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Badass - 01-30-2016

Umm not sure if this helps but did you look at this thread?

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1537

I know Madsiur explains pretty well what each letter is.  He also explains which are the pointers.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

EDIT - Well, it did help me find and change GP to BT (Bits is the MLP currency). But it doesn't really solve the Blitz question any further. I'll try some more troubleshooting, though.