FF6 Hacking
Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pony Fantasy VI Remake (/thread-3106.html)

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Catone - 01-30-2016

Remember, the bytes of pointers are read backwards.

C3/5C3A: 48 5C leads to C3/5C48

91 F0 leads to C3/F091 and so on.

Might seem basic, but you'd be surprised how many times it'll throw you off if your not thinking about it.

Also, since that table won't point outside of bank C3, you'll probably want to relocate one name entirely to some other free space (such as around the area of C3/F091), then rebuild the list (minus the one word you relocated) and use that space to extend the others. Course that assumes your making them all longer names.

Just some advice/suggestions, need it or not, there it is just in case.

*EDIT*
Typed this before I saw your updated post, but yes think you've got it right. The part about only moving one word to free space still applies though. (Move one / resort the rest) just keep track of the order of the table and what command it reads what name for. Won't cause big problems but I wouldn't advise trying to change the order of or add entries to the table at this point in time.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - DrakeyC - 01-30-2016

Yup, edited my original post to those exact plans. Laugh

Thank you. Rest assured, many back-ups will be made as I attempt this.

Okay, I checked the forums for a C2 disassembly and can't find one. Little help? I don't wanna have to search the hex manually. I'm using Find to find the commands now but still.

EDIT - A partial success. I replaced the "stole your GP" message with a new message in a blank area, and redirected the pointer there. And it worked, but the message only displays the first word of my entry.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - madsiur - 01-30-2016

C2 disassembly can be found here: http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Thanks.

What about the one-word message problem?

Moving ahead, one last thing to worry about - changing the casting animation. Specifically it was Antdot and Quick that I've changed to Black Magic, so they need to have their casting animations changed from White/Status (the wave of stars) to Black (the red-orange orb flash)

Is there a simple answer to just "go to these bytes and change this stuff" to rename what commands are called in the menu? That C2 disassembly is like reading Japanese. 0_0

There was a link on one of these pages for a thread describing how to do exceptions for spell casting, I just don't remember the page. It should be correct, even if a bit advanced of an edit.

As for the character's palettes in the party select screen, (should be in shops and save screen as well) I don't remember if that's the OAM issue or the palette being assigned at recruitment issue. Eitherway, not difficult to fix by any means if you have a map.

Also, quit being nervous about screwing something up! That's what backups are for. Make yourself a "Temp" folder, and any time you start doing something your not sure about drag a copy of the active ROM into that folder. (This not being your legit "backups" folder, just a temporary copy). Then open up your active ROM and... break it, molest it, turn it inside out, kick it a few times, and be sure to poke it with a stick at least once to make sure. After your sure you've broke it, replace it with the temp copy and try something else. If what you attemped work, make an official backup and move on.

Point being? Never be afraid to break it. Sometimes you may even want to do it on purpose just to make sure your doing something. Oh, and the massive glitches are always the pretty ones.

Quote:There was a link on one of these pages for a thread describing how to do exceptions for spell casting, I just don't remember the page. It should be correct, even if a bit advanced of an edit.

You're referring to this, and if it talks about which casting animation is used and how to switch them, it's cleverly hidden.

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2383&highlight=command+stance

Palette, I have no clue what you're talking about. If you mean the in-game palette messing up, don't worry about it, went to a back-up, it's fine now.

Quote:Also, quit being nervous about screwing something up! That's what backups are for.

I know, but the hex is also just exhausting and annoying. Something as simple as "if I rename the Blitz command, change what it's called in the menu" shouldn't need hours of work to figure out. :/ Trying to navigate that disassembly is only making me want to give up more because I have no clue what it's talking about. To be honest, it hasn't helped at all, it's only confused me more.

RE: Pony Fantasy VI Remake - Gi Nattak - 01-30-2016

(01-30-2016, 01:21 PM)DrakeyC Wrote:
Quote:Also, quit being nervous about screwing something up! That's what backups are for.

I know, but the hex is also just exhausting and annoying. Something as simple as "if I rename the Blitz command, change what it's called in the menu" shouldn't need hours of work to figure out. :/ Trying to navigate that disassembly is only making me want to give up more because I have no clue what it's talking about. To be honest, it hasn't helped at all, it's only confused me more.

That's not the best attitude to have! And nobody ever said this stuff outside of what the multi editor could do is gonna be easy... No, it shouldn't take hours of work to move a name, but if it does it does and that's what learning is all about. If you already feel like giving up already after all this in-depth help, that doesn't bode well - maybe this project is a bit too much for you? On a personal level and not just experience. Or perhaps a break is in order to clear your mind and hopefully come back strong with a better resolve. Most of what you are asking I had to figure out for myself which was not easy and very time consuming, but never did I feel like throwing in the towel. I'd really like to say "keep it up!" But if you already feel this way I think I'll hold on to that.

I don't see how a disassembly can confuse you more, having damn near everything in a bank commented on and organized. This I cannot understand lol.

I don't need a break. Coming back tomorrow will not make me understand the Hex any better.

And no, the project is not too much for me. I've dealt with setbacks in the palette and the spells and the items, I deal with them, it happens. With the Hex I can't even get to the point I screwed something up, because I don't even know what I'm doing. That C2 disassembler means nothing to me. I looked through it trying to find where it defines menu parameters or whatever, and I don't know if I found it or not.

Honestly, I just want a simple answer. "Go to byte C2A521, that handles what the menu says, blah blah blah." I think I've proven I can follow step-by-step direction well enough.

I'm honestly still very enthusiastic about this project. I can't wait to start working on it each morning, I go to sleep brainstorming stuff I want to do for it. It's just this. Not even Hex, the Runic and Rage and palette stuff were no problem. It's this specific problem, changing the commands in the menu. It should be simple. It is not.

In-game palettes include battle and overworld (and some others). Battle palettes are set from a table, that unless your doing something crazy, whould be in one set place and editors can change it.

Overworld (such as town/overworld maps) which are set with event commands, generally at recruitment and won't be saved or updated by any conventional editor.

Then there are the palette settings for shops, character select screens, and the save menu, which are set in OAM data (simply another table full of blocks of data for stuffs). What I don't recall is if usME changes those or not. Or for that matter the game might update them on the fly from character data with the event palette setting. So, if they don't show up in a shop correctly, you'd have to set the palettes proper in that data as well.

Someone correct me if I'm lost on that statement. If I am correct, its easy as ... its easy. Just need a map, as I said. Load a save before recruiting those characters that you gave a new palette, play through recruiting them, then check the save screen and a shop screen see if they have the correctly updated palette.

As for disassemblies, they really are not THAT complicated, however, until you've used them for awhile you really shouldn't try looking at the whole thing at once. Have to force yourself to only look at one block of code at a time and see whats going on. If you don't understand what a line is doing, ask about that line.  

Some explinations on all those three letter things in there:
Op codes
... I can't find my bookmark on explinations of those, but that one will tell you more than LDA, BRA, JSR, ext.

Yeah yeah, I'm a slow typer and my phone wants to argue, anyway, as Nattak said, I think he said it, you just have to learn. Don't forget everybody was a noob once, most of us still are. Hell you dig deep enough in forums and you'll find some questions ask by senior members that even you could answer right now.

So yeah, one step at a time, don't get ahead of yourself.

Again - I have no palette problems. I appreciate you typing out that explanation, but I have no palette problems. Palettes are fine.

As for the disassembly, I have no choice but to look at the whole thing. I'm looking for one specific thing in it and don't know where it is.