FF6 Hacking
FF6 Museum Help! - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Vector, Imperial Capital (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-58.html)
+---- Forum: Announcements (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-60.html)
+---- Thread: FF6 Museum Help! (/thread-3099.html)

Pages: 1 2

FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 01-20-2016

For archival / documentation purpose and because we love FF6, we're most likely going to set up a forum page that is sort of a FF6 virtual museum. The idea is not 100% hacking related but is interesting nonetheless.

While we can do research online, sometime people found stuff it's hard to get with simple searches, so we are asking you to post links or send files through pm that pertain to all FF6 versions and hacks (FF3us, FF6j, FF6 Advance and Steam release). If you send / post an image, it would be preferable it is in hi-quality (original jpeg, jpg or vector image though if only small png format available we'll use that). Here's a list of the content we are looking for, but it could be material if it is relevant to the purpose of the museum.

If you think you send a file with possible copyrighted content (see categories with *) or content hosted on another website (as an example an OCremix), please send a link to the file via pm or post the link of the file where it pertains (as an example the OCremix webpage link). We might have to ask permission to host some content so we'd like to know where the file originated from. TL;DR; don't break copyright laws unless you send the said content via pm. 

We really hope people will help setting up this page. I'll update this post with content as people submit send stuff. I personally have a lot of stuff regarding FF6 and I'll update this post with my content probably in the next days, but having / finding most really interesting stuff is a big task for a man alone. Everyone has probably interesting links or content in mind or bookmarked, it's a matter of participating and building something up that stands out. There is no deadline, I might also set up the page when enough material will be collected and allow link / content submission indefinitely.

Thanks!

Possible Content:
  • Cart labels (official / custom / hacks)
  • Cart boxes (official / custom / hacks)
  • Logos (official / unnoficial / hacks)
  • Official / Unofficial merchandise pictures
  • Relevant videos (links or files, no Youtube LP please)
  • Official art (or as an example unnoficial Amano art pertaining to FF6)
  • Interviews mentionning FF6 with translators / developpers or FF6 hackers / ROM hacker interviews
  • Books (PDF / epub) *
  • Manuals (PDF / epub?) *
  • Posters (PDF or image)
  • Complete Walkthroughs (Official / Unofficial / Hacks. Excluding GameFAQ links)
  • Hard to find unofficial music / remixes (Should be files like mp3, midi, ogg and flac or link to these files excluding low quality YT videos and excluding any official CD release) *
  • Pixel art (Unnoficial FF6 style custom monsters, spite, backgrounds, object or other relevant art, excluding original pixel art we can find everywhere or custom sprites posted in threads or hosted on ff6hacking.com in the previous database).
  • Animated GIF images (excluding as an example random 5 seconds GIFs of vanilla playthrough, though Sabin suplexing the train has a place in a museum I think Tongue)
  • Font files (TTF)
  • Other relevant art, images, pictures, links or other files pertaining to FF6 or FF6 hacks**
**Excluding most of the stuff found on Tumblr or Deviant Art as an example unless it fits in others categories mentioned in the list. There is thousands off FF6 art images more or less good and at some point it's too much to have a only interesting content if we host them all. If you think something really stands out, post it / send it and we'll judge it. Excluding also links to ROMs, original or custom cart selling links (not relevant at all) or links to ROM hacks or patches (only if a very rare hack / patch not found elsewhere. We all know RHDN or Slick PRoductions).

Content Found so far Frog

Sound / Music
  • FF3us sound effects (WAV)
  • Bunch of Fan remixes / cover from real albums but not published by SE or Major Studios
  • Overlooked FF6 remixes (OCremix spoof remixes) (1)
  • Some underground chiptune remixes
  • vgmusic.com FF6 midi collection (1)
ROMs
  • Armovil hack (Beta)
  • Children of Vector demo
  • FF3us Prototype ROM (SFC)
  • about 20+ translations (not sure if relevant) (2)
  • about 10 spoof hacks, each more obscur than the other (2)
  • at least 30 custom bosses hacks or hacks created prior to 2008 I'd say (not sure if relevant) (2)
Art
  • All of official Amano's art
  • Yoshitaka Amano - Final Fantasy Japan scans (3)
  • PSX intro drawing scans (comics strips used to plan the CGI)
  • About 20 nice prints found in various places New
Scans /Screenshots
  • FF Anthology (case (front/back), CD, booklet (PDF))
  • FF3us (Box (front/back/"3D"), cart, maps (PDF), booklet (PDF))
  • FF6J (Box front (JPEG)) Missing bunch of stuff!
  • FF6 Advance (U) (Box (front/back), cart) Missing booklet!
  • N64 FF6 tech demo official screenshots
  • PSX intro official screenshots
  • Custom SNES cart labels (PNG) (Made by James McPhee)
  • More maps New
  • FF6 Monopoly New
  • Playing card Deck New
Books / Manuals / Strategy Guides (PDF)
  • Complete FF III Forbidden Game Secrets (3)
  • BradyGames - FF Anthology (3)
  • Final Fantasy III - Players Guide (PDF & CBZ formats) (3)
  • Nintendo Power issues featuring FF3us with a main article (issues 65, 66 & 67) (CBR format) (3)
  • Final Fantasy III FWAQ New
Articles / Web Pages
Videos New

(1) Shall we ask the original hoster for permission?
(2) Most of the hacks are hard to find but most of them are of poor quality I believe
(3)  Are we breaking any copyright law ? (overpassing the "fair use" concept in the law in which as an example hack patches are)

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - Lockirby2 - 01-20-2016

Hmm, I can think of surprisingly little that I have to contribute offhand, unfortunately. Of course, I'll help search for things though. Smile

What do you already have though? I'd prefer to avoid reinventing the wheel here by digging up stuff that you've already found.

Have you thought of asking the World of Balance Facebook group? They do seem to like their art though, so I'd be worried that you might get inundated with Tumblr/Deviant Art stuff like you mentioned might happen in your footnote. But some people there might have some cool stuff.

I'm not sure unofficial walkthroughs are worth putting in the museum. From what I've seen, a lot of them are pretty bad. I'd be surprised if there were any real number of decent unofficial walkthroughs that aren't copyrighted and are obscure enough to be worth archiving.

I'll PM you something at least, to begin with.

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 01-21-2016

(01-20-2016, 09:56 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: What do you already have though?  I'd prefer to avoid reinventing the wheel here by digging up stuff that you've already found.

I update my first post with the relevant stuff I found on my hard drives (see bottom spoiler tag).

(01-20-2016, 09:56 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Have you thought of asking the World of Balance Facebook group?  They do seem to like their art though, so I'd be worried that you might get inundated with Tumblr/Deviant Art stuff like you mentioned might happen in your footnote.

That is a good idea. Do you think they will get offended if I link this thread and they see the footnote? Tongue

More seriously, how could I ask diplomatically "Awesome and unique art accepted but no average DevianArt images!" ?

(01-20-2016, 09:56 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'm not sure unofficial walkthroughs are worth putting in the museum.  From what I've seen, a lot of them are pretty bad.  I'd be surprised if there were any real number of decent unofficial walkthroughs that aren't copyrighted and are obscure enough to be worth archiving.

This is mainly for archival purpose rather than consulting a guide to play the game. In any case like you mentionned, I can't tell if I break copyright law for each PDF Guide due to them being not printed anymore and with their age (if those are elements to consider or if it has no inpact on how the law is interpreted). And no there is no worthy unnoficial guide except some text walkthrough hosted on GameFAQ, but that's not really what we are talking about here.

Again, thanks for the link sent via pm!

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - Lockirby2 - 01-21-2016

I can't seem to view the spoiler by clicking on it.

Did you want a video of the N64 tech demo instead of just screenshots? There's a couple videos floating around, if any meet your standards.

Maybe you could say something like "I know there's a lot of great art on Deviant Art, Tumblr, etc., but there are too many pieces of FF6 art on the internet to archive them all here. In other words, please only link to a piece of unofficial art if you feel it is particularly exceptional or noteworthy in some way." Honestly, I mostly just rephrased your footnote anyways. Tongue

Okay, so you're mostly accepting walkthroughs originally in physical form then?

BTB probably knows some music, I'll probably PM him.

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - Catone - 01-22-2016

To an extent, by calling it an archival project, and the fact that it is (again, to an extent) informative/educational, as long as you cite the original source (think of it as a research paper/report) as well as include an ending "catchall" that states it can be/will be removed if ask by the proven owner/creator... should be all good, even more so considering the age of most of the content.

As for quality of content? Depending on what it is, (hacks and such) if there is something/anything of special note, then why not? Specially if it is hard or next to impossible to find otherwise. As for art, or things that resymble such, same concept. Wouldn't get picky there unless it gets really really bloated. Some devientart stuff, maybe just a list of links to relevent artist's pages/names.

Speaking of Nintendo Power, I seem to recall some decent "envelope art" from back in the day. Might be worth including in the roster.

Either way, its a cool project.

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 01-23-2016

(01-21-2016, 03:20 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I can't seem to view the spoiler by clicking on it.

I removed the spoiler. It was only there to make the original post shorter.

(01-21-2016, 03:20 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Did you want a video of the N64 tech demo instead of just screenshots?  There's a couple videos floating around, if any meet your standards.

Yes, videos would be cool too. I was going to do a FF6 YT search for cool stuff (excluding LPs) but if someone wants to start it, it would be a good thing.

(01-21-2016, 03:20 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Okay, so you're mostly accepting walkthroughs originally in physical form then?

No, internet walkthrough are ok too or even text files, as long as they are of quality.

(01-22-2016, 08:25 AM)Catone Wrote: To an extent, by calling it an archival project, and the fact that it is (again, to an extent) informative/educational, as long as you cite the original source (think of it as a research paper/report) as well as include an ending "catchall" that states it can be/will be removed if ask by the proven owner/creator... should be all good, even more so considering the age of most of the content.

I think I'll do something similar to this, thanks!

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 01-31-2016

I added a few articles worth of mention in the announcement post.

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 02-01-2016

I added more stuff gathered this afternoon (labeled as "New" in announcement).

You guys should really check the V-Jump video: ackward moments with demo / "impossible in vanilla" footage.

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - Tenkarider - 02-02-2016

I don't get where's the thread you're talking about...  Hmm
could you provide a link?

RE: FF6 Museum Help! - madsiur - 02-02-2016

(02-02-2016, 08:00 AM)Tenkarider Wrote: I don't get where's the thread you're talking about... 

Check the end of first post.