FF6 Hacking
A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Vector, Imperial Capital (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-58.html)
+---- Forum: Announcements (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-60.html)
+---- Thread: A new year, An improved new-old layout! (/thread-3076.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

A new year, An improved new-old layout! - madsiur - 12-31-2015

Happy new year 2016!

Well after a few months of work, the new layout is finally here!  Hello

First, if you have problem login, delete your ff6hacking.com cookies. This should solve your problem.

The site will be slow the first time your enter it because it loads various stuff in cache such as the fonts used. The new layout has been developed by testing with recent Chrome and Firefox desktop browsers, so there might be problems with Opera and phone browsers, which will have their own solution soon enough.

New functionalities mentioned in the update thread have been implemented. First, you can set alerts via the userCP for various things such as quotes, thread replies and more. There is also the possibility of doing a mention by typing "@" followed by the username you want to mention. This will create a profile link in the post and the user can have an alert for this if he has set the option for it.

There is also more smilies (and maybe even more to come) and there's an imgur button to upload (small) images in the post editor (typing window).  Victory

Another great feature is the tag feature, which can be entered by the thread creator. The thread creator (or site staff) also has the possibility to input tags for older thread that have none. The profile page had an upgrade with more stats and option to leave public or private comments. We also have FF status that you can set on the main panel on Portal/Index thanks to JamesWhite.

There's also a bunch of little stuff that have been improved that I can't think of at the moment (oh yeah, there's 2000+ sprites in the avatar gallery, a music and video player).  Pummel

Of course, nothing is perfect and I kinda rushed the release in the end to meet the 2015 deadline, so there's a few half-moderate-half-easy to fix bug and other small thing I did not had the time to fix or improve. They are listed in this thread. You are invited to submit bugs, question or suggestion there as well.

Here what will follow in chronical order in 2016. I start university while working part time in a week so I hope I will have some free time for the site but most likely less than in the last few months.

2016 Resolutions  Pray

1. Fix most if not all bug that will be in the bug thread
  2. Finish the Database (50% done) and submission page (95% done) for sprites.
  3. Install MyBB GoMobile theme for folks that visit the forum mainly on their phone (Safari & Chrome).
  4. Check desktop theme compatibility with Safari then Opera.
  5. Make different color version of the theme (at least 2). Another option would be to allow users to
    choose some main colors of the theme (background, blue containers, quotes etc...).
  6. Get back to the Monster Expansion Editor
  7. Work on my hack!
  8. More forum goodies along the way if I feel like it (most likely yes).

Enjoy your stay!  :hurry:

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Jackimus - 01-01-2016

cool beans, good work you guys. site is kickass

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Lockirby2 - 01-01-2016

@Madsiur A big thank you for all the hard work!  This will be pretty awesome. Hello

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - madsiur - 01-01-2016

Thanks guys, I could have done more and push the downtime end date, but I felt it was enough to release. Also, you don't disown a newborn because he is born a few weeks prior to his planned date XD.

Edit: Also added a tentative 2016 schedule to 1st post.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Catone - 01-01-2016

Still stumbling around through all the new stuff, but for the record,

The work and effort is appreciated. Thanks for taking care of the site.

On another note, while I can't say much about the site because I'm not sure how much is on my end vs actually wrong/undesireable with the site. But the "Activities" window on the main homepage, is that layout a user setting or site setting?

Not overly fond of every new post having its own block, vs the old style of showing a list of threads (one block per thread) and the thread being on that activities list if containing new post. Instead of having a full list of "new post" notifications in the Activities tab, all going to the same thread.

Think I said that right, eitherway its not unbearable, I'm just lazy and liked having a list of currently active threads always on the homepage. One round of conversation and it ends up with a full box of one thread.

Still if that's all I can complain about, nice work.

Oh yeah, one other issue/bug/thing. It seems when a shout post is over the limit as far as being to long/to many characters, it just drops the post. If it doesn't require moving mountains, a popup or "error" message saying you wnet over the limit would be nice. If not, we'll get used to it, just a suggestion.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Kugawattan - 01-01-2016

I agree with Catone, every post having it's own block is confusing for me, specially with the sprite next to it changing every time I re-enter the page, kinda makes it hard to keep track of, but otherwise this new page is excellent. Love the FFVI font used to write, the new way you can post pictures and see them without clicking preview-as well as being able to add your size quickly.

So far I can't think of anything wrong wiewing the site with Opera. Keep up the great work.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Catone - 01-01-2016

I have only one problem with the random sprites displayed next to stuff... I can't click on them to see the full sheet. Never seen some of those before, most, but still several I didn't know about. Wish I could see the rest of the sheet without hunting and digging. Would be pretty slick anyway, but that's just me maybe.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Lockirby2 - 01-01-2016

(01-01-2016, 07:51 AM)catone Wrote: Not overly fond of every new post having its own block, vs the old style of showing a list of threads (one block per thread) and the thread being on that activities list if containing new post. Instead of having a full list of "new post" notifications in the Activities tab, all going to the same thread.

The quote block in this post editor is a lot more streamlined now!

Er... that's not where I was going with this...

I agree with what catone is saying here.

Just sent out eight or so Buddy Requests as well.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - madsiur - 01-01-2016

(01-01-2016, 07:51 AM)catone Wrote: Not overly fond of every new post having its own block, vs the old style of showing a list of threads (one block per thread) and the thread being on that activities list if containing new post. Instead of having a full list of "new post" notifications in the Activities tab, all going to the same thread.

The new activity Stream is a plugin that has more option than the default one, such as displaying an entry for new members and new thread when they are one. If more people agree with you two, I could easily modify the query to display last post only of the thread, though there would still be a distinction between "new thread" and "last post of thread". As for random sprite, I like random stuff. I'd say 30% are from full sheets, most of them available here.

(01-01-2016, 07:51 AM)catone Wrote: Oh yeah, one other issue/bug/thing. It seems when a shout post is over the limit as far as being to long/to many characters, it just drops the post. If it doesn't require moving mountains, a popup or "error" message saying you wnet over the limit would be nice. If not, we'll get used to it, just a suggestion.

I never tested lengthy shout or tried to set a limit XD, though I did mention to try to set one. The problem is probably an error on server side when shout is longer than hardcoded limit, thus creating a PHP error and sending the shout to the void. An easy fix would be to set a limit on the textbox with a CSS/HTML attribute, thus not allowing you to exceed X characters before even sending the shout for validation.

RE: A new year, An improved new-old layout! - Gi Nattak - 01-01-2016

I'd have to agree about the display last post only. I like that how it was compared to this showing multiple posts as threads.