FF6 Hacking
Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom (/thread-2880.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - justincreedon - 06-08-2015

Just because I know I searched forever, anyone new to hacking SNES roms looking for a hex editor should download WindHex, not to be confused with WinHex. I have looked at so many different hex editors, and this is the only one that displays the offsets in SNES HiRom that I could find. (FYI, this is an edit of a post where I was asking for this information.) Thanks!

WindHex on Zophar's Domain:
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/hexutil/windhex.html

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - madsiur - 06-08-2015

The only advantage of WindHex is the tables support. Anyway, who really needs HiRom offsets? I much prefer HxD for data moving, copy/paste features among other stuff. It's a mater of taste I guess.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - Gi Nattak - 06-09-2015

Well I'd imagine some beginners might wonder where the CA CB and CC are at when looking at the dump and then get confused by the lack of the HiRom offsets in the hex. It took me extra long to understand this when I first started, when I finally found and selected to display offset as HiRom, everything suddenly became easier and made since finding addresses. But yeah man I agree about not needing it, once you know what is what. I like having and using both WindHex and HxD, though WindHex I use about 95% of the time, HxD does have those nice features though.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - Catone - 06-09-2015

I was always more fond of HxD, still impresses me that it will paste data from multiple cells, copied from a spreedsheet, all at once. Windhex on the other hand always wants to give me hell trying to scroll, just less friendly in general.

Only reason I keep Windhex handy at all is because I'm still one of those noobs that have to use it to convert HiRom offsets to raw addresses. Of course I never did get the hang of using tables effectivly either so that might also be why it didn't appeal to me.

In the end, your still better off keeping access to both programs, and knowing a little about both. Not like they are huge or costly and both have their uses. Always good to have options.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - justincreedon - 06-09-2015

I know I really don't have a place in this conversation given the local celebrity that's involved, but my purpose for putting this up was simply for the new guys searching for a hex editor for the events. I literally JUST found it when I posted this and I have been making due with MS Calc in Dev mode and a neat little program I found that takes a raw address and auto converts (instantly at that) to LoRom and HiRom. I will find the program next time I'm in front of the old terminal and post a link, could be nice for even veterans to use so there are no mistaken in-head conversions. But yeah, definitely a fan of copy/paste when moving stuff, but for simple bit editing when you know the exact HiRom address, WindHex works, and WinHex is not the same thing. I'll quietly sneak out of this conversation now. Thanks.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - madsiur - 06-10-2015

When you realize that C = 0, D = 1, E = 2 and so on, you don't need hiRom offsets anymore. I can understand that new modders prefer Windhex, but a veteran modder should prioritize rapidity and functionality. Same goes for writing code, you can be more at easy with editing code with a hex editor when you begin, but when you discover how an assembler works, it's hard to go back to the first option.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - Catone - 06-10-2015

Any valid information has the potential to be useful for somebody, even if that someone takes part in the conversation or just reads it. In the end, its probably best to at least look at several hex editors and learn for youself, on a personal basis, which fits your own taste best.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - Tenkarider - 06-10-2015

Recently i started writing code as hexadecimal in a text file, then i copy-paste it in the hex editor and i like it a lot, yet i'd like to test some ASM code just to say i can do that too...
Just saying... is it possible to open/edit the ROM/RAM with higher level languages, like C++?
I mean, Abyssonym made Beyond Chaos with Python...

In the case anyone knows how to do that?

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - madsiur - 06-10-2015

(06-10-2015, 01:42 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: Just saying... is it possible to open/edit the ROM/RAM with higher level languages, like C++?

You can code SNES games in a higher language, like C.

http://www.portabledev.com/media/SNES/PVSnesLib/doc/

(06-10-2015, 01:42 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: I mean, Abyssonym made Beyond Chaos with Python...

Yes, but he doesn't write ASM code in python, unless he wrote a library for it. Lord J made FF3usME with C++, I made my FF6A editor with C#. It's the same thing. You can open a ROM with any language and edit data with it or edit bytes.

RE: Hex Editor with SNES HiRom - justincreedon - 06-10-2015

Wow. That escalated quickly. Laugh