FF6 Hacking
Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen (/thread-2505.html)

Pages: 1 2

Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Royaken - 03-08-2014

So! back to my project and I decided I'd try to re-tackle the Dragons den by freeing up some more space. 1st off, I want to list the places I'd be getting rid of in order to attempt this:

-Phoenix Cave
-Cyan's Dreams
-Zone Eater place (Triangle Island Cave[Not using Gogo in my hack])
-Hidon's lair (Not gonna include this)

If I need more space, please let me know. Now then, I can't ask anyone to jump on this FOR me, so I would like to request the following:

-information (or best opinion) on what I should start with. What's the best way to tackle this from the start?

-What all I would need? Does this require event editing? Is that how the switches and such work to navigate the dungeon with 3 parties?

-How to make the dungeon ask for 3 parties instead of 2? I remember Madsiur mentioned this in an older post about how the Dragon's den needed more than 2 parties but I myself have never played the GBA version.

-How to disable the Cyan's dreams event, the Hidon event, and the zone seeker event.

-Anything else you can think of.

I know this is a lot to ask but not doing any of this for about 2 years really gets your brain jumbled with it all xD. I would like to tackle it though and I intend to succeed and release the 1st dragon's den (or so I am aware). Any help is welcome and if I missed anything I'd need, please let me know. Thanx so much for the help ahead of time!

~Roy Objection!

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Cyprus - 03-08-2014

As in Zone Seeker Are you referring to the Zone Eater in Triangle Island?
If you are, this can easily done. The Zone Eater has the spell Engulf, this spell can be easily manipulated in FF3usMe. The spell Engulf has its special status to banish target from battle, but if allies are hit they will be transported to The Triangle Island Cave. You can Modify the spell not to do this or simply eliminate the spell engulf from its battle script

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Royaken - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 06:55 PM)MrChocobo Wrote: The spell Engulf has its special status to banish target from battle, but if allies are hit they will be transported to The Triangle Island Cave. You can Modify the spell not to do this or simply eliminate the spell engulf from its battle script

.... Don't know why I didn't think of that xD. Thanx for the input. I appreciate the help Smile

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - madsiur - 03-08-2014

(03-08-2014, 06:24 PM)Royaken Wrote: Does this require event editing? Is that how the switches and such work to navigate the dungeon with 3 parties?

Well switches and such are event triggers with an event "linked" to them, same things for NPC. You can take a look at FF6LE to see event triggers on some map with the event offset. Now looking at that offset in the event dump will giving you the detail of the event, that you can also lookup in a hex editor to understand better.

(03-08-2014, 06:24 PM)Royaken Wrote: How to make the dungeon ask for 3 parties instead of 2?

The party selection is done with event command 99:

Code:
99 : 4    : Invoke party selection screen (A groups). Forced party members in bitfield B/C.

So I guess 99 03 00 00 would allow 3 parties to be selected. If not then look up the Kefka tower event on the WOR map and you'll get your answer.

The party switching is made by activating an event bit:

Code:
CA/03B3: D2    Set event bit $1E80($1CE) [$1EB9, bit 6] (Enables party switching with the Y button)

(03-08-2014, 06:24 PM)Royaken Wrote: How to disable the Cyan's dreams event, the Hidon event, and the zone seeker event.

For Cyan's dream, by removing the corresponding event trigger. As for Hidon I'm not sure how and when the cave appear but it's also a map event that can be removed/edited.

Note that you have some empty maps that can be used to make an extra dugeon, I'm not sure if there is enough of them to have the Dragon's Den.

(03-08-2014, 07:18 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Now looking at that offset in the event dump will giving you the detail of the event, that you can also lookup in a hex editor to understand better.

Dumb question but what do I do to get the offest info or the event dump?

(03-08-2014, 07:18 PM)Madsiur Wrote: The party selection is done with event command 99:

Code:
99 : 4    : Invoke party selection screen (A groups). Forced party members in bitfield B/C.

So I guess 99 03 00 00 would allow 3 parties to be selected. If not then look up the Kefka tower event on the WOR map and you'll get your answer.

The party switching is made by activating an event bit:

Code:
CA/03B3: D2    Set event bit $1E80($1CE) [$1EB9, bit 6] (Enables party switching with the Y button)

So if I left the Dragon's Den entrance as the Phoenix Cave, would I need to reinsert this event bit? Or simply change it in the hex to require 3 parties?

(03-08-2014, 07:18 PM)Madsiur Wrote: For Cyan's dream, by removing the corresponding event triggers. As for Hidon I'm not sure how and when the cave appear but it's also a map event that can be removed/edited.

Do I do this in Hex and FF6LE for Cyan's dream? How do I know which event I am looking for?

And as for the Hidon there's also an instance where I believe Strago's old friend is injured because he went after the Hidon. How do I take that out to avoid the prompt? Any idea where that event would be? Or am I suppose to make the event think I already finished it? And how?

(03-08-2014, 07:18 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Note that you have some empty maps that can be used to make an extra dugeon, I'm not sure if there is enough of them to have the Dragon's Den.

Thanx I'll look for those. Any idea where some are?

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Synchysi - 03-08-2014

Most of that requires event editing, so you'll want to start with the event dump found here: http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html#disassembly

The event commands file on that site can also be useful, though I've found a few inaccurate entries. I find it easier to cross-reference the event dump with the raw hex of the game to find the exact syntax I'm looking for.

Supplement those with an event bits listing here: http://novaliaspirit.99k.org/ff6/docs.html

And lots of patience, since event editing this game isn't the most intuitive thing in the world.

(03-08-2014, 07:41 PM)Synchysi Wrote: Most of that requires event editing, so you'll want to start with the event dump found here: http://www.angelfire.com/al2/imzogelmo/patches.html#disassembly

The event commands file on that site can also be useful, though I've found a few inaccurate entries. I find it easier to cross-reference the event dump with the raw hex of the game to find the exact syntax I'm looking for.

Supplement those with an event bits listing here: http://www.synchysi.com/tmp/Event_Bits.txt (credit to Novalia Spirit; his site appears to be down at the moment, though).

And lots of patience, since event editing this game isn't the most intuitive thing in the world.

Well thank you ever so much for those links Laugh! If you don't mind me asking, though you said most, which instances do you believe require event editting? Any info I can get on what needs to be done for this helps Smile

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - madsiur - 03-08-2014

Before attempting such a big project, I would personally visit the links section to get the event command list and the event dump and after attempt simple event editing by following some tutorials that are available on this very site. Also explore FF6LE or Zone Doctor to get better understanding of some concepts. I have the feeling every answer from me will just produce an additional question from you without any attempt of exploration or documentation/editor understanding.

This is just my humble opinion that may have no value.

(03-08-2014, 07:45 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Before attempting such a big project, I would personally visit the links section to get the event command list and the event dump and after attempt simple event editing by following some tutorials that are available on this very site. Also explore FF6LE or Zone Doctor to get better understanding of some concepts. I have the feeling every answer from me will just produce an additional question from you without any attempt of exploration or documentation/editor understanding.

This is just my humble opinion that may have no value.

And it is an opinion that I can almost completely agree with. I would have taken longer to ask questions but I am currently at work and nowhere near any of the programs I have for this project xD. I simply wantesd as much info as I could get before I went home so I'd have a list of things to look at or do. Thank you as always for your input Madsiur Laugh

RE: Dragon's Den... It's gonna happen - Synchysi - 03-08-2014

From what you've posted so far, everything outside of reallocating and building the actual maps requires editing events to some degree. Zone Eater wouldn't be event editing, though that was already covered above.

Disabling access to certain places can be as easy as removing the pointers to the events, which generally entails preventing certain event bits from getting set. This is information you'll need to extract from the event dump and event bits listing.