FF6 Hacking
Final Fantasy I - Redux - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Dragons' Den (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Final Fantasy I - Redux (/thread-1989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Final Fantasy I - Redux - Ghost XIII - 03-03-2013

Updated May 21, 2013

Hey all, I'm putting my other project on a bit of a hiatus to work on a rebuild of FF1 using FF6. I figured 'why the hell not?' virtually all the enemy sprites exist in one form or another that looks good with the graphics of FF, and it's a good way to brush up on learning event hacking. Also I love the classic FF1, so why not give it a snes style facelift?

Here are a few screenshots thus far:
[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]
[Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png][Image: imgshk.png]

Along with displaying some screenshots and telling everyone of my progress, I will also be asking in this for advice for work arounds to solve a few issues.

Goals:
  • World Map (Partly complete)
  • Towns (Cornelia Town, Cornelia Castle complete)
  • Dungeons (Chaos Shrine)
  • Job Selection System (Scraped)
  • Class Upgrade System (No Progress)
  • Starting Class Sprites (100% Complete)
  • Upgraded Class Sprites (50% Complete)
  • Additional Secret Characters (No Progress)
  • NPC sprites (No Progress)
  • Ship and Canoe Functions (No Progress)
  • Music (Coming along nicely, thanks to Gi Nattak)
More info to come.

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - SSJ Rick - 03-03-2013

not a bad look so far

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - kanbei as cyan - 03-03-2013

Wow!!! Its is Very Cool!!!Tongue

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - Zeemis - 03-03-2013

I like that he has a "Blank" name, if you get my drift. :p
You should really use my FFIV tileset, it's closer to the original FF1 game.

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - LordSutebenu - 03-03-2013

Zeemis I think that the name "Blank" is referring to Blank from FF9; I think this because the character named Blank is also a thief ^_^

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - Zeemis - 03-03-2013

I figured it was a character name Sutebenu lol, I was making a pun lol

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - Ghost XIII - 03-03-2013

That pun was so awful it deserved a rimshot after it. And I will definitely be considering using your alternative tileset, but that kind of cosmetic stuff will probably be left to last.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I actually could use some opinions or expert advice on a few things though. I'm still unsure how to do the party setup aspect of this game and I have two options each with their unique benefits and faults, I would definitely appreciate feedback or recommendations on how to change them.

Option 1: You start the game in a character selection map with 4 rooms, each room has all six classes as NPCs, when you talk to them in their respective rooms they assign the properties, sprite, and palette associated with their respective class. This is an easy way to create interchangeable party members and to allow you to create whatever team combination you want, like Fighter, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, or 2 Fighters, Black Mage, and a Red Mage, or 4 White Mages. The problems with this is that is makes it very difficult to graduate your classes as I cannot figure out a way to keep track of which characters the player is using to change their sprites respectively. The other problem with this system is that you cannot assign the properties of one character more than once without screwing up your game, so I would need to use characters 0-23 to cover all of the possible party combinations. This is a bit of a pain because it means finding a new way to assign equipment to characters, assumably through hex editing rather than doing it the easy way with FF3usME. Is it possible to create equippable item lists for characters past Umaro? Like if I use General Leo or the placeholding moogles as characters can I allow them to only equip certain items?

Option 2: Is much easier, but significantly less fun. I simply overwrite the first 6 characters (Terra through Sabin) with the 6 job classes, and open the party select screen at the beginning of the game, forcing the player to pick 4 of the 6 characters. This option is way easier because at job class graduation you can just swap over the character's properties, sprites, and palettes to their new stronger classes (placeheld by Celes through Gau) and be done with it. It's also really effing boring because it only allows you to use one of any possible character.

Any solutions people can come up with? I am open to ideas.

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - madsiur - 03-03-2013

(03-03-2013, 02:28 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: The problems with this is that is makes it very difficult to graduate your classes as I cannot figure out a way to keep track of which characters the player is using to change their sprites respectively.

Event commad DE load the caseword with the characters in the party. You can check with this if a certain character is in the party. Check some event dump examples in the combination with the Event Bits list to understand how this works.

(03-03-2013, 02:28 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: The other problem with this system is that you cannot assign the properties of one character more than once without screwing up your game, so I would need to use characters 0-23 to cover all of the possible party combinations.

You can assign properties via events more than once. The moogles are actors higher than 16 but during the fight they replace characters like Celes and Edgar. The two ghosts in the ghost train become Strago and Relm and were moogles before being ghosts. :P

(03-03-2013, 02:28 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: Is it possible to create equippable item lists for characters past Umaro?

Yes. Their starting equipment only. Check the actor editor in FF3usME.

(03-03-2013, 02:28 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: Like if I use General Leo or the placeholding moogles as characters can I allow them to only equip certain items?

Yes and no. There is no available bit I think in the item data to allow an item to be equipped only by a character past Umaro. In fact there is only 16 characters in the game (not to mix up with an actor) and the last 2 bits of the second "equip byte" are for "imp equip" and "heavy gear". You would need to modify the purpose of those last two bits.

I hope this help.

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - Ghost XIII - 03-03-2013

That is helpful Madsiur, as always. I'll have to look into the DE command and see if that will work properly. That sounds promising.

Also I just double checked the problem with assigning properties multiple times, and I believe the issue I was having before was just a keyflicking error. The game doesn't seem to bork up if you assign the same character to the team more than once, like assigning two Fighters (which is effectively assigning two Terras,) I must have just messed up a hex digit. Good thing for backups, right?

RE: Final Fantasy I - Redux - Angelo26 - 03-03-2013

(03-03-2013, 03:10 PM)Ⓐ Mᴀᴅsɪᴜʀ Ⓐ Wrote:
(03-03-2013, 02:28 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: The other problem with this system is that you cannot assign the properties of one character more than once without screwing up your game, so I would need to use characters 0-23 to cover all of the possible party combinations.

You can assign properties via events more than once. The moogles are actors higher than 16 but during the fight they replace characters like Celes and Edgar. The two ghosts in the ghost train become Strago and Relm and were moogles before being ghosts. Tongue

Very careful here. You can assign properties, sprites and names to any character as long as the character has not permanently joined the party. If a character has permanently joined the party, then it becomes impossible to do so.

Example: The game turns every PC into moogles during the narshe scenario since no other character has joined the party permanently. DUring the Phantom Train sequence, the game is able to turn strago and relm into temporary ghosts in the same manner.

I have tried assigning Mogs sprite to gau more than once...but since I am trying to do it after he joins permanently, I have been unsuccessful to do so.