FF6 Hacking
Evaluate please - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Evaluate please (/thread-1587.html)

Pages: 1 2

Evaluate please - gaje - 04-14-2012

I'm a new member here so i'll keep the intros short to get to the point.
I used to do hacks for various games on my free time even uploaded some videos(2 actually) on youtube so I decided to get back into hacking FF6 since its been 2 years and a-lot has changed since the last time I did any of this kind of stuff besides my recent Sonic hacking.

Anyway I installed a patch the will exceed the damage/healing limit for ff3.
I tested it on a hack boss battle that i've yet to finish which is why the video i am about to show seems bland and easy to beat.
It really did feel right so I wanted to know what should I change.
Give enemies more HP or what, so basically i'm looking for some advice.

(<_< I thought I made this topic already but I logged out as soon as I was done(I some other business to get to.)

RE: Evaluate please - Angelo26 - 04-14-2012

Very Nice! I got a seizure because of the multiple ice spells cast at once XD

I would suggest making this fight a super boss battle, and removing weaknesses to gravity (or Lode stone).
Give each enemy a variety of skills in the monster script. Give cless lots of sword abilities. Arche could revive characters, drain the MP of the party, or even cast time stop (she's know for doing this in later games).
If you add Klarth, he can summon espers too! Arche would be a nice option to cast attack spells.

RE: Evaluate please - Zeemis - 04-14-2012

I'm going to give you some constructive criticism here. It was a really good attempt for a boss and I liked that you add custom spells.
That aside, I thought it was all a little unbalanced. Your healing was extreme, whereas your damage was either very low or extremely high. Same with them.
I felt like the sprites were a little out of place. If you were to "FFVI-itize" them a little more by changing up their palettes, it might go along with the theme a little better.
I must ask though, wtf is with the fanfare?! XD

RE: Evaluate please - gaje - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 07:51 PM)Zeemis Wrote: I must ask though, wtf is with the fanfare?! XD

Experimenting with custom instruments in FF3usME it was for the main instrument in the battle theme but that is also used in the returners' theme and fanfare probably other songs as well eventually I will correct it back to the original.
As to the rest of your post, I was trying to find that balance in damaging and healing enemies and allies but because my party had super stats it caused me to put the bosses defensive stats up to 220 just to stop my party from dealing more than 9999hp worth of damage.
I thought the sprites fit ok I agree, not very ff6 like but close.

to Angelo26:I thought about adding other characters but I will consider it again if the formation molds can fit them(this is what kept me from making a double atma boss battle 2 years ago).

I also have another question, with the 24bit Monster HP patch where would I find the HP of Monsters 381(Mint aka Atma) and Enemy 377(Cless aka Soldier) because I want them to have around 200,000 HP a piece.

RE: Evaluate please - madsiur - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 08:18 PM)Gaje Wrote: I also have another question, with the 24bit Monster HP patch where would I find the HP of Monsters 381(Mint aka Atma) and Enemy 377(Cless aka Soldier) because I want them to have around 200,000 HP a piece.

The third HP byte is from CFCF50 to CFD0CF. There is 384 bytes, one for each monster. As an example, the third HP byte of monster #377 is at CF/D0C9 and monster #381 at CF/D0CC. If you want to edit manually the first two HP bytes, they are the 9th and 10th bytes in the monsters stats of each monster. There is 32 bytes per monster:

Code:
0F0000    0F2FFF    DATA    No    "Monster Stats (384 elements, 32 bytes each)"

By the way, I really like the custom spell you've made.

Edit: The offsets I gave are for a headerless ROM.

RE: Evaluate please - gaje - 04-15-2012

Ok I followed your post but the patch doesn't work it freezes whenever I go into the battle or any battle luckily I backed my rom when I applied the patch.

Its weird all I did was remove the header(using winhex)apply the patch and edit the value.

I'm also in the process of uploading another damage test video this time its more like a boss fight 14mins. Wink

EDIT: here it is

RE: Evaluate please - madsiur - 04-15-2012

(04-15-2012, 11:18 AM)Gaje Wrote: Ok I followed your post but the patch doesn't work it freezes whenever I go into the battle or any battle luckily I backed my rom when I applied the patch.

I'm pretty sure this patch is for a ROM with a header. The offsets given in the readme are with a header. Sorry if I misleaded you, but it should work if you leave the header and add 200 bytes to the values I gave.

RE: Evaluate please - gaje - 04-15-2012

Still didn't work though I might be doing it wrong but the Patch is one too many and when used with the Damage patch it the screen goes black when anyone tries to attack.

Oh well I'll just use the HP script though how would I make it so that the loop will end but the boss doesn't die cinematically because that cause both characters to disappear?

Anyway thanks for the help.

RE: Evaluate please - Zeemis - 04-16-2012

One of the variables in the HP script has the number of "invisible" lives. Multiply that variable by how much life you're giving your boss and that's how you determine his total life.
Make sure to read my release thread on the HP script, I explain which bit to change.
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=19

RE: Evaluate please - madsiur - 04-17-2012

(04-15-2012, 06:38 PM)Gaje Wrote: Still didn't work though I might be doing it wrong but the Patch is one too many and when used with the Damage patch it the screen goes black when anyone tries to attack.

It's because there is a big conflict between both patches. I made a thread about it and how to resolve this problem. You might consider doing what I explain in the thread instead of a HP loop because a HP loop can sometimes (even if done properly) not work because of the maximum damage you can deal in one turn. Plus there is the fact that a HP loop not done properly will disable/skip the dropping of items from your monsters randomly. It's up to you to decide...