Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Antinomia: FF6

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(03-06-2021, 07:09 PM)C-Dude Wrote: I'm guessing Leo doesn't have any natural magic?  If he doesn't know any spells, then Magic won't show up as a command in battle.  And if he hasn't had an opportunity to learn them since he's on a guest profile, then even switching to profile $0A for the fight won't have it show up.

So, upon talking to Kefka, you could write profile $0A to Leo's actor $0A, and then upon the end of the fight, write $22 to actor $0A again so that he's once-more off limits until his recruitment in the World of Ruin.

The only edge case there is that the player might be able to steal his weapon and shield during the fight, but they still wouldn't be able to snatch the relics because his profile would switch mid-event, prohibiting an inventory access while he's on $0A.

I suppose that could be a possibility, even though it would still allow the player to gank the Crystal sword and Aegis Shield mid-battle if they scrolled up (literally robbing his corpse, you reprobates!), they at least couldn't get the Offering.  Still, I'm getting fonder of the story-based workaround of just having him use his default name for WoB while he's a guest and generally acting separately from the party, and only giving you the option to rename him once he renounces his title and joins you for good, since that's sort of an organic reason to rename him, anyway.

(03-06-2021, 06:09 AM)Negazeia Wrote: Other than that, ah, I do have a few more questions for Fast Moon.

1. Will you be making a unique Desperation Attack for Leo? I'm honestly really curious about it.

2. What about Umaro? Will he still be a main party member? I actually don't remember what happens when you beat his boss fight without Mog in the party but I think basically Mog is the character who orders Umaro into the party. Will the player have to take Mog with as a guest to his boss fight to recruit him?

1. I haven't looked too much into giving Leo a unique desperation attack, though I'll see how much space it would take.  The battle animation memory is tightly limited and I already used up some of it adding a couple new actions to the battle event for Leo's death.  I think right now he has Mog's desperation attack.

2. I think I'm going to have it that you have to recruit Mog as a guest in WoR to go find Umaro, and then he'll tell Umaro to go with your party so he can protect you during times that Mog can't (since Mog, being a guest, can't be selected from the airship or party selection menu and just warps back to Narshe, so you can't take him to the Phoenix Cave or the final dungeon).
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
You're sure you don't just want to use the full roster patch that the members of this community have made? You could make Mog fully playable and selectable. You could also use Hatzen's guest adder patch to make Umaro a permanent guest, since you can't change his equipment anyway. I have all of my notes for moving Umaro to slot 0F, freeing up slot 0D for Mog.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
(03-06-2021, 10:41 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: You're sure you don't just want to use the full roster patch that the members of this community have made? You could make Mog fully playable and selectable. You could also use Hatzen's guest adder patch to make Umaro a permanent guest, since you can't change his equipment anyway. I have all of my notes for moving Umaro to slot 0F, freeing up slot 0D for Mog.

Nah, that's getting beyond any kind of problem I'm even trying to solve.  I'm fine having Mog as a guest character and so far he's working as one.  The only issue at the moment is still whether it's possible to have Leo's equipment and skills locked in WoB and unlocked in WoR without giving him two different actor profiles.  And if not, I already have a story-based workaround for it, so it's still not a show-stopping issue.
  Find

Status
None
I rewatched your "Razing of Vector" scene, and I gotta say I love it. I have a ton of event space left over in my rom after rewriting the final encounter with Kefka to actually make sense (there was around a half kilobyte of extraneous event code just in that one scene), and I have plenty of NPCs left over from rewriting Cyan's dream sequence. Long and short, would you mind if I borrowed that sequence from you?

If I implement this, I'm going to make a couple of changes, and if you're interested, you can borrow the code. First, since this is before Leo joins the team in my hack, I want to have him fight autonomously, like Cyan in the Imperial Camp. He'll be a few steps ahead of the rest of your party, and fight like he's in the Colosseum. Second, I want to have the 2 grunt troopers in Magitek Armor.

Lastly, I thank you so much for pointing out that the 3rd member of the Biggs/Wedge trio is named Piette. I had totally forgotten that from Chrono Trigger. The wounded soldier in my hack features into Leo's story, and I had named him Dak after Luke's co-pilot from the Battle of Hoth. I have now renamed him Piette, and like that name so much better.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
(03-08-2021, 11:46 AM)PowerPanda Wrote: I rewatched your "Razing of Vector" scene, and I gotta say I love it. I have a ton of event space left over in my rom after rewriting the final encounter with Kefka to actually make sense (there was around a half kilobyte of extraneous event code just in that one scene), and I have plenty of NPCs left over from rewriting Cyan's dream sequence. Long and short, would you mind if I borrowed that sequence from you?

If I implement this, I'm going to make a couple of changes, and if you're interested, you can borrow the code. First, since this is before Leo joins the team in my hack, I want to have him fight autonomously, like Cyan in the Imperial Camp. He'll be a few steps ahead of the rest of your party, and fight like he's in the Colosseum. Second, I want to have the 2 grunt troopers in Magitek Armor.

Lastly, I thank you so much for pointing out that the 3rd member of the Biggs/Wedge trio is named Piette. I had totally forgotten that from Chrono Trigger. The wounded soldier in my hack features into Leo's story, and I had named him Dak after Luke's co-pilot from the Battle of Hoth. I have now renamed him Piette, and like that name so much better.

You can utilize some of the event code if you like, but be warned that it's a bit more expansive than it might look:

1. The Vector Burning map is actually an entirely new map copied from the original Vector Burning map, with the exits all removed (similar to how the Thamasa map for the Leo battle is also a different map from the regular Thamasa map, for similar reasons).  The map also contains some modifications like added flames blocking certain paths in order to "herd" the party to the event tiles that activate the battles.

2. Despite the exits being removed, there are still event tiles flanking the north and south exits to prevent you from leaving because they both have the same X-coordinates and with no exit tiles the map allows the player to "wrap around" and get stuck in null space.

It's actually not possible to only have some party members in Magitek armor in the battle screen, it's an all-or-none thing.  I tried to edit Terra's flashback in the beginning of the game to have Terra in armor and Kefka not, because I added an additional follow-up scene after it and Kefka doesn't have a "riding" sprite so his map sprite was getting messed up if I put him in armor there.  But to remove him from the armor necessitated removing both because the "Magitek" status applies party-wide.  So, if you have the two grunt troops in armor, Leo has to be in armor, too.

Between all the scenes and battles, it's about 1.4KB of additional event code, plus new event tiles, new NPCs, the new map, and new monster data.  The three new enemies overwrite Czar Dragon, Siegfried (who I removed from the game entirely and used his sprite slot for teen!Leo), and... I think Colossus?  Some other unused boss.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • PowerPanda (03-08-2021)

Status
None
(03-08-2021, 06:43 PM)Fast Moon Wrote: You can utilize some of the event code if you like, but be warned that it's a bit more expansive than it might look:

Thanks for the offer, but I will probably need to write my own events so that I can fit it into the right spaces in my rom. I'm more looking to use the idea.

(03-08-2021, 06:43 PM)Fast Moon Wrote: It's actually not possible to only have some party members in Magitek armor in the battle screen, it's an all-or-none thing.  I tried to edit Terra's flashback in the beginning of the game to have Terra in armor and Kefka not, because I added an additional follow-up scene after it and Kefka doesn't have a "riding" sprite so his map sprite was getting messed up if I put him in armor there.  But to remove him from the armor necessitated removing both because the "Magitek" status applies party-wide.  So, if you have the two grunt troops in armor, Leo has to be in armor, too.

Huh. I actually didn't know that. Laugh The only thing I've done up until now with Magitek is remove it, since the other bug is that you can't have 4 magitek suits onscreen at once due to sprit limitations.

Projects:
  Find

Status
None
(03-08-2021, 09:42 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 06:43 PM)Fast Moon Wrote: You can utilize some of the event code if you like, but be warned that it's a bit more expansive than it might look:

Thanks for the offer, but I will probably need to write my own events so that I can fit it into the right spaces in my rom. I'm more looking to use the idea.

Oh, sure, you can certainly use the idea since it isn't exactly "original"; it's just a depiction of a canon event that originally happened off-screen.  And you're welcome to use the "Piett" name, too, since, again, I already stole it from Chrono Trigger where he appeared alongside Biggs and Wedge, and all three of them in and of themselves are references to Star Wars side characters, so they're not "mine".  XD
  Find

Status
None
New WoR intro event is done, and I also went back and added Shadow to the crumbling airship deck if you completed his WoB recruitment event. The new WoR event sequence required some overworld map modifications to keep you from going places you're not supposed to yet, and I repurposed the unused "Umaro's Cave" event bits and map tile modifiers to render those modified tiles passable once the time is right (sort of like the landslide the blocks the road to Nikeah until a certain point).

The new sequence of events is that you're now starting with just Terra again in the WoR instead of Celes. She goes to Mobliz and finds the orphaned children, and therefore her entire re-recruitment event is getting an almost total re-write. Celes will wash up there instead of Albrook a year later, and the two of them decide to set out to find everyone else. Sabin will still not be accessible at this point to prevent having more than 4 recruited party members before getting the airship, but the path to Nikeah and therefore Edgar will open, and then you can get Setzer and the airship to proceed with the other recruitments as normal.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • Endarire (09-04-2021)

Status
None
Interesting reroute, and it seems to fit your theme of having Terra and Leo as the deuterotagonists.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
@Fast Moon
Looks exciting! How fares progress?
  Find