Making Leo Darker

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
[Image: 0b3YYgy.png]
https://imgur.com/a/nm6Z3cW

General Leo is, canonically, of a darker skin tone than the rest of the FF6 characters. This has been carried forward to later games where he appears, like Opera Omni. I think that's awesome, and would love to offer a version of Everybody Gets a Chocobo that includes that. I've looked at DrakeyC's "General Leo Redone" patch, and unfortunately I just don't like the approach of changing to a different palette and altering the color of his clothing and hair. I think it's possible to keep Leo on his default palette 0 and acheive the same effect. However, I am colorblind, and I don't know if what looks good to my eye actually looks good or not. So, I've posted 2 possibilities above. The first one has his skin 1 shade darker, with no other edits are made to the sprite. The second one gives him much darker skin, but in order to make it work some edits needed to be done to his hair. Do either of them look weird? If not, which one would you prefer?

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I prefer slightly the one made by DrakeyC, the second edit looks less better because the same color is used for his hair and his face.

Btw, yeah image upload is broken, but you can right click "view image" on your imgur image which should display only the image in a new tab and put that image link ending with ".png" in an forum image tag (with no space):
[ img ]url[/ img ]
  Find

Status
None
(02-23-2021, 05:39 PM)madsiur Wrote: Btw, yeah image upload is broken, but you can right click "view image" on your imgur image which should display only the image in a new tab and put that image link ending with ".png" in an forum image tag (with no space):
[ img ]url[/ img ]

Thanks. That fixed it.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
This is what I'm using for Antinomia:
[Image: EEKJ4Aq.jpg]

This still uses palette 0.  I co-opted the "eye color" index and changed it to the lighter brown, then slightly darkened the dark blue from the clothing and used it for eye color as well.  I had to go through and edit every other sprite that uses palette 0 to fix their eye colors by either setting them to the dark blue clothing color, or just the black outline color for NPCs that use various palettes.  The darker brown skin shadow is the existing "hair shadow" color, the hair shadow is the existing "hair highlight", and the hair highlight is color index 16 which in the battle palette is a slight yellow-green color, but it's not noticeable.  The only issue with this palette arrangement is that his skin color no longer changes with status effects, but I consider that a minor inconvenience since there's still secondary indicators of color-change statuses like the bubbles for poison, steam for berserk, 0 HP for zombie, etc.
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
What about simply switching the function of the hair and skin indices in the palette full-hat?  The hair color is just about right and then status effects will still show up.  Granted, they'll change the color of his mohawk, but without a new palette there's really no other way around that.

(Can't put an attachment here, see #VisualArt in the FF6 Discord for my take)

EDIT: Added the attachment to my own hack thread as the matter is relevant there as well.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=527]
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
How would that translate to other palette 0-using characters like Celes, Edgar, and Sabin, though? Would they also become dark-skinned, or would their hair change color with status effects instead? Super Saiyan Celes!
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
They don't change at all. Leo's skin color is Celes's hair color. The indices remain the same, they are 'switched' in that we are using the hair colors for Leo's skin and the skin colors for Leo's hair. The blond in the mohawk is an optical illusion of the high contrast and the slight orange hue shift, which I don't feel is noticeable on the other Pal 0 sprites.
  Find

Status
None
As i haven't done graphics having before, I didn't realize that certain colors had to be hair, and certain colors skin. I think this is more than a colorblind person like me can do on their own. Fast Moon, I like your sprites the best of what I've seen, but I'm trying to see if Leo can be done without the super blonde hair.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
I think "2 shades darker" is the best of the three on the OP.
The other two give kind of a sickly vibe imo.

Threads: 20
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
That is actually a tough choice.  I like all 4, including the original Leo. The 2 shades darker is pretty nice... I personally made Leo's armor a tad darker in my hack, although it's barely noticeable.
[Image: 4LFxANx.png]

I couldn't get myself to change the Leo sprite further than that, even though I changed the rest of the characters.  I just like the original too much!
  Find