Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Gogo select more commands?

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Confuse
Is there any way possible to give Gogo more commands to choose from? Essentially I want them to be able to use Summon, Shock, Pray, etc on top of the normal commands available.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
The game compile everyone's commands, excluding guests and dead Shadow then remove duplicates. That is how Gogo's skill selection menu is build in vanilla. Modifying this behavior will require an ASM hack (see $C35DC8 in the $C3 Compendium). I don't recall if there is scrolling or extra room in Gogo's menu so that is to take into consideration. You may need to expand or modify the $CFFE00 command properties table to support you extra command too. I dunno if it has entries for commands gogo wouldn't normally have..
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • xDaygo (03-30-2020)

Status
Confuse
Good to know, I'll definitely look into it! Would it just be easier to replace some existing equippable commands with other existing ones?

i.e. remove something like Slot from the selectable commands and putting in Summon in its place?

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Yes it's easier to replace commands, there's a limit of (I believe) 15 commands + empty, going over this will cause display issues.

Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Warrax for this post:
  • xDaygo (03-30-2020)

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
We were discussing the Gogo skill limit just a few months ago when PowerPanda was trying to finish up the complete roster hack.  A user by handle Myself086 actually solved the problem by adding scroll arrows to Gogo's menu (a patch that user made as part of an improvement package for the BeyondChaos randomizer), and I relocated the code to fit into original ROM space.

You can read the post about it here and get the latest version of the code from the bottom of this post.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • PowerPanda (03-30-2020), xDaygo (03-31-2020)

Status
None
Sort of related to Gogo, is there a hack to allow others to have a similar status menu -> select battle commands menu as him, but with different options? So Relm doesn't need to waste an equipment slot for Control, Setzer doesn't need to do the same for GP Rain, and the same for whoever gets Summon?

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(03-30-2020, 09:19 AM)C-Dude Wrote: We were discussing the Gogo skill limit just a few months ago when PowerPanda was trying to finish up the complete roster hack.  A user by handle Myself086 actually solved the problem by adding scroll arrows to Gogo's menu (a patch that user made as part of an improvement package for the BeyondChaos randomizer), and I relocated the code to fit into original ROM space.

You can read the post about it here and get the latest version of the code from the bottom of this post.

Nice, I wasn't aware of the updated version, thanks.

Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(03-30-2020, 09:19 AM)C-Dude Wrote: We were discussing the Gogo skill limit just a few months ago when PowerPanda was trying to finish up the complete roster hack.  A user by handle Myself086 actually solved the problem by adding scroll arrows to Gogo's menu (a patch that user made as part of an improvement package for the BeyondChaos randomizer), and I relocated the code to fit into original ROM space.

I can confirm that this code works. I just tested it with 15 Gogo-selectable commands, and it worked beautifully.

(03-30-2020, 11:38 AM)MysticLord Wrote: Sort of related to Gogo, is there a hack to allow others to have a similar status menu -> select battle commands menu as him, but with different options? So Relm doesn't need to waste an equipment slot for Control, Setzer doesn't need to do the same for GP Rain, and the same for whoever gets Summon?

To my knowledge, nobody has done something like this. The immediate problem that I see is that Gogo's menu loads for EVERY character; you just can't see it unless you're in there as Gogo. You'd need to make a condition on what list loads when. The other problem is that the determination of which command is used is done via equipment flags. You'd have to rewrite that portion so that it checked something else, like the presence of a key item. So this is a cool idea, but it would require extensive ASM.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • xDaygo (03-31-2020)

Status
Confuse
First off thank you guys for the answers and input!

I suppose my next question would be: would there be anyway to have Gogo be able to select any command at any time?
I.e. I never collected Sabin in WOR but I can equip Blitz to Gogo anway.

I know the Equip any Command patch exists but would there be anyway for it to apply to just Gogo?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(04-01-2020, 01:45 AM)xDaygo Wrote: First off thank you guys for the answers and input!

I suppose my next question would be: would there be anyway to have Gogo be able to select any command at any time?
I.e. I never collected Sabin in WOR but I can equip Blitz to Gogo anway.

I know the Equip any Command patch exists but would there be anyway for it to apply to just Gogo?

Hatzen comes to the rescue for that.  The "Equip any Command" patch is built on top of "Extra Mimic Slot", which can be found on Romhacking.net.  Hatzen needed to make the list static in order to allow the player to replace Gogo's first command, meaning it no longer populates from which characters you have available.

Not sure if there's a conflict with the Myself086 scrollbars for Gogo, but hopefully there isn't.  Additionally, based on how Hatzen constructs that list for Gogo, we could hypothetically build separate lists for characters who gain an upgrade command, set up a code bypass to check for these characters if a certain event bit has been set, and let them replace an existing command with their alternate (like Sketch to Control).  I'll need to look at the code from Hatzen's patch before I can be certain such an approach would work, though, and whatever menu options granted would have to include ALL the character's base commands as well so the player can't permanently hose the character's menu.

I'm also... slightly concerned that if the first command is changeable it can be emptied, allowing an empty menu on a character (which causes a softlock when that character gets a turn in battle).  While Hatzen's patch makes Mimic the first entry on the list, I don't know how it would interact with the scrollbars patch.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • madsiur (04-01-2020), xDaygo (04-02-2020)