Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
FFVI Worlds Collide

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Wow, the speed you’ve been replying and implementing suggestions is amazing. Thank you for all the fixes and changes!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how complicated it would be to change the upper bounds for costs on items? If the current cap is 65535, how hard would it be to change it to the next highest byte size (Oh man my programming degree is failing me now)? I think this would be useful and make it easier to added the rare equipment into the shop pool, as you could set a much higher base price for those items (Kind it like I had mentioned in a previous comment). I’m sure it could cause some other problems but it was mostly just a thought I had.

As for the item progression discussed by MarthSR, what if there was more “hard enforcement” of specific encounters? For example, WoR Doma requires you to have Cyan in the party, Opera requires Celes, things like that? It can at least allow certain party members to have uses throughout a run.
  Find

Status
None
(01-14-2020, 11:32 AM)Imperatus Wrote: If the current cap is 65535, how hard would it be to change it to the next highest byte size (Oh man my programming degree is failing me now)? 

Well this is the FF6hacking forum; pretty sure someone here found a way to increase some 16-bit values to 32-bit. XD
I do recall seeing some rom hacks with bosses having ungodly amounts of HP, so that must've played a part.
  Find

Status
None
(01-14-2020, 11:42 AM)MarthSR Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 11:32 AM)Imperatus Wrote: If the current cap is 65535, how hard would it be to change it to the next highest byte size (Oh man my programming degree is failing me now)? 

Well this is the FF6hacking forum; pretty sure someone here found a way to increase some 16-bit values to 32-bit. XD
I do recall seeing some rom hacks with bosses having ungodly amounts of HP, so that must've played a part.

Haha well I think I’m more concerned about any potential issues that could arise from increasing that upper bound, more than how technically feasible it is; poorly phrased, I suppose!
  Find

Status
None
(01-14-2020, 11:49 AM)Imperatus Wrote: Haha well I think I’m more concerned about any potential issues that could arise from increasing that upper bound, more than how technically feasible it is; poorly phrased, I suppose!

Yeah, logically, that would indeed mean that memory locations would be sequentially shifted forward. Which would cause a mess whenever the ROM would look for values located beyond that memory location. Either that, or the specific memory location within the ROM where the game looks for that variable would have to be changed (which would be the least damaging way of doing things).

But then again, AtmaTek would give you a better answer, as I'm merely guesstimating here. Laugh
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-14-2020, 11:32 AM)Imperatus Wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone know how complicated it would be to change the upper bounds for costs on items? If the current cap is 65535, how hard would it be to change it to the next highest byte size (Oh man my programming degree is failing me now)?

It's feasible as the item price is the last two bytes of the item data. It would be as simple as expanding the item data (add 1 byte to each entry) to allow a 24-bit price and relocating the item data block somewhere else in the ROM. There would be some shop code to modify as well as an example (and maybe some menu code too to display 6 digits prices). The reason it has not been done in any hack to my knowledge is not because of the difficulty to do so but mainly because doing so would break the current editors when wanting to modify prices (such as FF3usME or FF6Tools).
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • AtmaTek (01-27-2020)

Threads: 3
Status
None
I am happy to announce a discord server!
https://discord.gg/5MPeng5

A big thank you to Marth SR for essentially setting it up by himself and helping me get started.
If anyone is interested in helping with organization or moderation please let me know. I would really appreciate help from some of the longer and more reputable members around here and people who have already been helping out in this thread. If you are interested in getting involved please feel free to send me a message or leave a reply here.

Thank you.
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(01-14-2020, 07:31 AM)AtmaTek Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 11:33 AM)MarthSR Wrote: nothing is really "gated" behind items, which makes this rando sort of a "Find the most optimal character/item route, do that on all seeds, and get a great time" one-trick pony. Perhaps requiring to have certain characters to access certain parts would be a way to have the route vary?
I really appreciate your (as well as other experienced speedrunner's) feedback about this. I want to make runs as interesting as possible so ideas from veterans really helps. If I understand what you mean, once players discover which events are quickest to complete the best approach will be to repeat that same path over and over until you get the luckiest. To help alleviate this characters would each have to unlock multiple new events to better prevent one single optimal route. Does that sound correct to you?

I believe you are right and I will probably need to implement some kind of progression system eventually to keep things interesting. I will start giving some more thought to exactly where/what the gates may be.

Character gating is okay, but you could also use the rare items for this.  FF6 has 20 Rare Items which are handled by event bits 1D0 to 1E3.  You could rename some of them and then require them to trigger events (by putting a branch at the start of your event triggers that returns [go to $CA5EB3] if the event bit for the rare item is unset).  Then, you could shuffle the "get rare item" events in with your character and esper scramble.

For instance, maybe you make one of the rare items a train ticket and require that to board the Phantom Train... or an Opera Balcony Pass could be required to trigger that event.  Heaven knows a randomizer doesn't need four fish and a manicure!  Although... maybe "Poison Fish" could trigger the "Cid Dies" event!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • AtmaTek (01-27-2020)

Threads: 7
Status
None
Here are some Rare Items that I thought of and where could be their non-randomized locations.
  • The basement in the Imperial Basement could be gated behind a Basement Key.
  • Some kind of temporal device would allow the move back-and-forth between the WoB and the WoR.
  • An Imperial Degree could remove the soldiers blocking the entrance to Doma's Castle.
  • The Raft that Cid provides in vanilla could be needed to travel down Lete River.
  • A Hook could be needed to go down on Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower. (I thought about this for some time. Even though you're gating Kefka's Tower for a nb. of characters/espers, I still believe it could be interesting. And yes, it is totally based on FF4's Hook.)
  • Terra's pendant could be necessary to interact with Tritoch in the WoR.
  • Gau's Helmet must be found to go down the Serpent Trench.
  • The Dried Meat could be removed from everywhere in the game except for one chest, making it a gating "rare" item as well.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Prowess
It's all good stuff, but the Dried Meat may have to be dealt with in a different manner, because one could feasibly use it and brick their seed depending on the settings.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
@NPCnextdoor: "Imperial Decree" instead of "Imperial Degree."

@AtmaTek: While I'm not yet sure about the feasibility, I would like the option to apply this randomizer to FFVI Brave New World's hack, or have a separate BNW version.

Request: Add an option in the menu (perhaps by commandeering the Mono/Stereo bit) so players can toggle random encounters, like with FFIV Free Enterprise.

Request: Add an option pre-game or in the options menu to change the names of all playable characters.  Preferably, this happens pre-game to aid speedrunners.

Request: In WoR, add an airship option to "Find Doom Gaze."

Request: Move the healer and vendor on the airship to the top deck for WoB and WoR airships.

Request: Add an option to multiply all shop prices by a certain amount (less than 1 for a discount or more than 1 for price gouging).  Giving EVERY item random prices is RIDICULOUS, especially early game!

Q: By visiting certain Schrodinger's Chests in WoR first, does that upgrade their contents so I can visit their WoB versions and collect their less upgraded treasures?

Bug: WoR Albrook cafe has Imperial Soldiers dancing as if it's WoB.

Bug: WoB Thamasa has Gungho who talks to the party as if Strago is in it, regardless of whether he's joined the party.

Idea: Terra's Pendant could be the item needed to access Kefka's Tower like in Brave New World.

Plea: DON'T make the meat a hard-to-find one-time item unless users ask for it on their seed!  The chance of accidentally eating or selling the item is too great and may cause a soft lock!  (Making it a key item may fix things, but I'd prefer not to need the meat for WoR "Gau" recruiting.)

Thankee, though, for releasing this randomizer!
  Find