Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Dragon' Den in the SNES version

Threads: 22
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Auto-life
Is it possible to add the dragon's den with all the enemies from the GBA port into the SNES version or does the latter have too many limitations to make it possible regardless of memory expansion?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
It's possible to add new maps with a custom build of FF6LE like FF6LE Rogue CE. It allows NPC, event triggers, exits and maps expansions. For monster, it's possible to expand them as you can see in this thread but it has to be done manually. What you could do is relocate the data and then edit your monsters with a vanilla ROM and FF3usME to finally transfer your changes into your ROM with a hex editor. As for monster GFX, the latest source of FF3SE can be build to allow monster GFX expansion.

So in one sentence, it's technically possible to add the Dragon's Den to the SNES version.
  Find

Status
Auto-life
I thought there was not enough data to perfectly replicate it and if not wasn't there another topic that involved challenging the biggest limitations in terms of level editing and rom expansion?
  Find

Threads: 1
Status
Dark-Arts
it's possible, but you require a lot of work to make it possible.

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
What about Esper expansion? It doesn't make much sense to do the Dragon's Den without getting the Esper at the end.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
Auto-life
That too as well. I am not planning on replicating because it would be too difficult to make, but I wanted to know if there were limitations on a snes rom that would prevent it from existing. the gba port being 32 bit would have less limitations because it opens more coding combinations right?

as for the summons, well you do need the 4 of them although Gilgamesh could replace raiden if there is an esper limit.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-11-2019, 06:38 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: What about Esper expansion? It doesn't make much sense to do the Dragon's Den without getting the Esper at the end.

It's possible. The menu code is well documented so you could expand the esper menu. The esper data would require a custom editor though if you relocate the data unless you edit it by hand.

(07-11-2019, 11:13 PM)CzarMalboro Wrote: I wanted to know if there were limitations on a snes rom that would prevent it from existing.  the gba port being 32 bit would have less limitations because it opens more coding combinations right?  

It has nothing to do with code being 16-bit or 32-bit, in fact the GBA version use Thumb mode 99% of the time which are 16-bit instructions.
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
Faith
Sorry for butting in, but what do you advise/suggest for event editting? For example, in the opera scene, how would I add more dialogue? Or imagine I want to edit the joining of Gogo to give them more character depth. Can I do that with FF6LE Rogue CE?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-15-2019, 08:45 AM)Blunderpuggs Wrote: Sorry for butting in,  but what do you advise/suggest for event editting?

You can edit events with FF6Tools. A common technique to add new events is calling event code in expanded ROM space or outside regular event banks. I'm not sure if FF6Tools can deal with event code outside the $CA-$CC regular event banks. The other way around is coding your events with a hex editor. I would advise against Zone Doctor event editor as it can corrupt your ROM.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Blunderpuggs (07-15-2019), PowerPanda (07-15-2019)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
FF6Tools requires the event script to be in a contiguous block. There are a couple of event commands which are currently unsupported for FF6. If you add a lot of events it can expand the ROM and move the dialog to the expanded area so that bank $CD is available for the event script. Please let me know if you have any issues with this because I haven't tested it very thoroughly.
  Find