Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need help fixing bug in Magitek menu

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
So it just came to my attention that the Magitek battle menu in Woolsey Uncensored has an interesting but. For characters other than Terra, there's only four choices, but if you pick a blank spot, they go to use a blank attack that does nothing. I know that i used a name expansion patch when I first created this project, so I don't know if this is caused by that OR FF3USME.

If anyone is willing to help, I'm not sure WHERE to look.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
You should check FF3USME first to make sure that all attacks they aren't meant to have are ??????? (the last spell ID on the list). It's an easier check to make.

But... I think it might be being caused by the spell name extender. I've rearranged the Magitek menu before without problems using FF3USME (and even given Terra a completely separate set of abilities), but it caused some weird behavior when I tried it on a project with the name extender.
As for what might be causing the glitch... I don't know. Maybe the name extender considers the last index spell to be an actual spell, instead of an end marker, and so it's trying to update the text display for that spell and thereby triggering Magitek's targetting override. The Magitek menu DOES have some supercedence over the regular spell editor, such as who is targetted by the spellcast.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Does the character step forward and do nothing or all what you see is a blank attack textbox?

Edit: I had a look and when you select a blank menu option, the good command (1D) and spell (FF) is loaded. However I can't find the check for command FF that would prevent the menu selection..
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
I think this may have been a FF3usME bug with older versions if you were to rename the last spell (???????), with the latest FF3usME I loaded up TWUE and simply went to the Battle Editor>Magitek Editor, clicked OK and saved, and that seems to have corrected it. The current version of usME is 6.8.0 and can be found here in Utilities.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Rodimus Primal (06-24-2019)

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(06-24-2019, 12:07 PM)madsiur Wrote: Does the character step forward and do nothing or all what you see is a blank attack textbox?

Edit: I had a look and when you select a blank menu option, the good command (1D) and spell (FF) is loaded. However I can't find the check for command FF that would prevent the menu selection..
Yes that is EXACTLY what they do.

(06-24-2019, 01:57 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: I think this may have been a FF3usME bug with older versions if you were to rename the last spell (???????), with the latest FF3usME I loaded up TWUE and simply went to the Battle Editor>Magitek Editor, clicked OK and saved, and that seems to have corrected it. The current version of usME is 6.8.0 and can be found here in Utilities.

THANK YOU! I had downloaded 6.8.0 a while back and never got around to switching over to it as I wanted to be sure TWUE would work as it has in the past. I did this on all of my ROMS and now it works as intended, at least I hope so.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find