Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need Some Help

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(03-23-2018, 07:09 AM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: "Xkas is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

You have to be in the folder where is xkas, the ROM and the asm file, not the default "C:\users\username" or whatever default your OS has. Also it will be "xkas" and not "Xkas". This is the easiest way, otherwise you can specify the full path of all 3 components, as an example "C:\some\path\xkas C:\patches\sketch.asm D:\rom\path\romname.smc".

Edit: I made an IPS patch for unheadered ROM:

.zip  sketch.zip (164 bytes, 4 downloads)
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
(03-23-2018, 07:43 AM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 07:09 AM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: "Xkas is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

You have to be in the folder where is xkas, the ROM and the asm file, not the default "CHmmusers\username" or whatever default your OS has. Also it will be "xkas" and not "Xkas". This is the easiest way, otherwise you can specify the full path of all 3 components, as an example "CHmmsome\path\xkas CHmmpatches\sketch.asm DHmmrom\path\romname.smc".

Uhm, your explanation is not very clear on what you're actually telling ShadowDreamer to do here. Even I'm having a hard time making sense of your post here. No offense intended or anything, nor am I trying to be rude.

Just honest confusion here.

Anyways, I wanted to see if I could make sense of things, so I downloaded xkas_v06 here from this site's utilies section, and put everything in a single folder after it downloaded. Clicked on the "as.bat" file and the "test.smc" and "test.asm" files are joined like they should. Great, that works wonderful.

Then I throw in a FF3 rom and seibaby's "Better sketch" asm code (as an asm file) due to both being headered, and nothing works on the xkas side of things (it focused exclusively on just the "test" files). Given that, I rename the FF3 rom to "test.smc" and seibaby's "Better sketch.asm" to "test.asm" (after deleting the originals), and xkas functions like it says it should, but that still makes me stop and go "What" in response.

Grabbed another fresh copy of the FF3 rom and the asm patch and renamed both "sketch.smc" and "sketch.asm" to see if it could also locate other files with the same names. Nope, no results there.

Moved all the files to the "C" directory, clicked on them, nope, no results there either.

So, hmm, I'm missing something with my own attempts at using the xkas utility here as well.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-25-2018, 10:46 AM)Robo Jesus Wrote: So, hmm, I'm missing something with my own attempts at using the xkas utility here as well.

Yes you are missing something. xkas is a console application and should be used as one: https://youtu.be/4A13pN9_s7c

My explanation is clear: easiest way to do this is moving in same directory as the patch and ROM and xkas, with the "cd" command and then type "xkas sketch.asm romname.smc". You bat file is to assemble test.asm to test.smc, it won't work with anything else. I'm not going to give a command prompt class each time I post code.

Also, I made a patch 12 hours later so he just have to hex edit the spell ID. I can't be more helpful than this.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (03-26-2018), ShadowDreamer (03-30-2018)

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(03-25-2018, 12:18 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 10:46 AM)Robo Jesus Wrote: So, hmm, I'm missing something with my own attempts at using the xkas utility here as well.

Yes you are missing something. xkas is a console application and should be used as one: https://youtu.be/4A13pN9_s7c

My explanation is clear: easiest way to do this is moving in same directory as the patch and ROM and xkas, with the "cd" command and then type "xkas sketch.asm romname.smc". You bat file is to assemble test.asm to test.smc, it won't work with anything else. I'm not going to give a command prompt class each time I post code.

Also, I made a patch 12 hours later so he just have to hex edit the spell ID. I can't be more helpful than this.

Yeah I was confused at first, too, but then I watched that video and it made more sense. But you've been really helpful. Laugh

I applied the patch without editing anything and there was some weird stuff like fight command doing nothing, for example with minor graphical glitches. And then when it went to the scene with Terra in the Magitek armor killing soldiers the emulator crashed.

But I went to Sketch in the hex edit by using the guide on Assassin17's site (http://assassin17.brinkster.net/code2i.txt) and went to this offset "C2/1520: 20 8A 29" which the guide says is where Sketch loads command data / etc. and tried editing it to A8 (which is the spell I want Sketch to use) and that didn't work. So I'm going to have to toy with it more.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-30-2018, 04:18 PM)ShadowDreamer Wrote: But I went to Sketch in the hex edit by using the guide on Assassin17's site (http://assassin17.brinkster.net/code2i.txt) and went to this offset "C2/1520: 20 8A 29" which the guide says is where Sketch loads command data / etc. and tried editing it to A8 (which is the spell I want Sketch to use) and that didn't work. So I'm going to have to toy with it more.

You are on the right spot since the LDA is at $C2151F:

Code:
org $C2151F
    LDA !sketch_spell   ; load sketch spell

It should be a A9 00 since the ASM file has 00 as spell, so change the 00 after using xkas, or better, open the .asm file with a text editor and change the 00 here, save and then use xkas:

Code:
!sketch_spell    = #$00      ;change for whatever spell ID in hexadecimal

If your ROM had no header and you did things correctly then my code changes have an error, I'll check this in the next few days.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I've fixed the sketch code, here is the good .asm file. I tested an it cast fire and the fight command seem ok. I'll get to your other stuff eventually lol

Edit: I've added your spell ID (A8) in 2nd version.

.zip  sketch.zip (720 bytes, 3 downloads)

Edit2: I've added the Control code. You'll need to change your 3rd custom spell ID in asm file. I left the whole fake mustache effect removal optional, if you want it removed there are 2 lines of code to uncomment for each Command.

.zip  sketch-control.zip (709 bytes, 3 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • ShadowDreamer (04-14-2018)

Status
None
(04-03-2018, 11:00 PM)madsiur Wrote: I've fixed the sketch code, here is the good .asm file. I tested an it cast fire and the fight command seem ok. I'll get to your other stuff eventually lol

Edit: I've added your spell ID (A8) in 2nd version.

Edit2: I've added the Control code. You'll need to change your 3rd custom spell ID in asm file. I left the whole fake mustache effect removal optional, if you want it removed there are 2 lines of code to uncomment for each Command.

Sorry I vanished for so long! I had to deal with midterms and what not. I'm going to test it tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you! Laugh
  Find

Status
None
Okay update:

I tested it multiple times and it doesn't work =/

I spent the last few days trying to make it work. Just so I can be clear if I'm doing it correctly:

make sure rom / xkas / etc. is in the same folder. Use Cmd prompt to apply them via: "xkas sketch-control.asm [insert rom name here] then press enter.

It doesn't give me an error, so I assume things are fine.

When I applied the basic Sketch one for spell A9 - the game freezes, despite the character who has the command not being in the party (I gave said command to Locke because it's easy to test as his recruitment is quick) so Terra is in the mines and the battles freeze. Ugh.

Then I tested the second one (separately) and made sure to put in the third spell I needed: but then the battles completely glitch out as if I was using the sketch glitch.

Some thoughts: I've tried to look it over and see what could be the problem. The only thing I could come up with is the targeting / whatever may be off? I briefly dabbled in hacking SMRPG and in that I found that if you try to edit spells / change things around the code can be tricky with like positioning and what not. So is it at all possible that because Sketch is so different than the Lullaby spell I'm replacing it with (likewise for Control and those rain spells) that the game is freaking out?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
I tested both patches and they were working fine, there random one I tested Control multiple times. Does your ROM have an header? You need to remove it if so. Also try with vanilla spells, maybe on a clean ROM, if it still glitch you are doing something wrong I presume. One thing I have not tested is other characters with like the default fight, I could check this tomorrow..

Edit: Use a savestate: https://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantas...6saves.htm

Edit2: I just retested everything and there is no problem in battle, including other commands.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • ShadowDreamer (04-19-2018)

Status
None
(04-19-2018, 02:29 AM)madsiur Wrote: I tested both patches and they were working fine, there random one I tested Control multiple times. Does your ROM have an header? You need to remove it if so. Also try with vanilla spells, maybe on a clean ROM, if it still glitch you are doing something wrong I presume. One thing I have not tested is other characters with like the default fight, I could check this tomorrow..

Edit: Use a savestate: https://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantas...6saves.htm

Edit2: I just retested everything and there is no problem in battle, including other commands.

So I redid it on a fresh rom, went through the whole processes / etc. and it worked! thank you thank you thank you thank you! Laugh

The only question I find myself having is how can I make it so the one move Heal Rain effects the party and not the enemy? I don't think it's enough to simply make them multi-targeted in their spell editing window I'm assuming the command would need to also?
  Find