Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Divergent Paths: The 3 Scenarios

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hmm... not working. I'll move the discussion over to Magitek Research Facility.

Other than the minimap, I finished the hack today.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
Divergent Paths has been completed. It will be posted on the main page shortly.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Pretty interesting project. I'll try to implement it into my hack and report on bugs, issues, etc.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-19-2017, 04:48 PM)Warrax Wrote: Pretty interesting project. I'll try to implement it into my hack and report on bugs, issues, etc.

Since it change quite a few things like dialogues and NPC data, applying the patch to an existing hack would likely just break things off. It worth a try but a safer approach would be to make the hack changes manually.
  Find

Status
None
Just a note here. Madsiur already wrote the note in the release thread. It was found about a week ago that Zone Doctor irreversibly corrupted the rom file, making it impossible to do the Ancient Castle, the Colosseum, or trigger the Final Battle. There were also game crashing bugs if you revisited the Lete River or Barren Falls later in the game, also caused by Zone Doctor (in this case, switching the subroutines to all call from bank CA, instead of their native CB. I should have caught it.)

End result is that the rom has been rebuilt from the ground up and released as version 1.1. Due to the nature of the rebuild, you must patch 1.1 to a clean rom. Save files should transfer over though. As a bonus, I also incorporated DarkMage's hack to restore the invisible treasure chests on the Phantom Train.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Used this on a 1.0 Rom with tons of patches & USME edits already in it, with the save point directly in front of the original Returner's hideout. It wildly corrupted the World map & the party can't move. Don't know whether any previous patches corrupted it when combined with yours, or whether G.I. 's observation that it doesn't work on 1.0 Roms is correct.

Edit: Tried applying it to a clean 1.0 Rom and the map issue is gone. Seems to work ok at least as far as just applying it to a clean 1.0 rom & continuing on from a save point. Haven't gone further than that. Looks like certain patches are gonna corrupt it when combined with yours. GI's black screen issue might've been from whatever rom he used; trying a different clean 1.0 rom will work eventually (smc, not sfc.)

Edit II: the patch that caused the map corruption when combined with Divergent Paths, I figured out, is Dr. Meat's Relocalization Project 1.03. Makes sense, since that is a massive patch will all kinds of unique changes & fix patches included in it - though it doesn't change any maps via Zone Dr. as far as I know. (Correction: it contains the ancient patch by Novalia Spirit 'The Sealed Door', which is a faulty patch that breaks the interior maps of WoB Jidoor. If that is indeed the conflict, then CV Reynolds' fix compilation patch, which also contains it, would also conflict with D.P.) So D.P. is not compatible with RLP, for some reason. That is my base patch for my Rom with all others added on top of it, so I can't use D.P., but I wish you the best with it. Great idea & execution!
  Find

Status
None
Hmm... I did some tests, and the issue is not Novalia Spirit's. What actually happens is that the Relocalization Project expands the rom to 32Mbit, and in doing so re-arranges a massive amount of data, inlcuding the WOB World Map and the dialog. Since Divergent Paths contains World Map edits for an UNEXPANDED rom, the two conflict.

I have confirmed compatibility with a non-expanded massive bugfix patch though: DarkMage's "FF6 Improvement", which contains most known bugfixes.

I love what Dr.Meat did with the Relocalization Project, and would be happy to retrofit the 2 patches together once I'm done with my second hack. I even considered using it as the basis for my own hack. However, whatever he did makes FF3usME unusable, so I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
USME (6.8.0, latest version) is actually usable in RLP 1.03. Meat later revised it to 1.04, relocating lots of data & making changes that makes USME unusable. 1.03 is the most stable version. I use USME all the time with 1.03 as my base patch. If you could retrofit yours with that, man, that would be fantastic. You're correct that Sealed Door is not the conflicting issue: I removed it from RLP and got the same corrupted World Maps with D.P. patched on top of it. I'd have to agree that RLP's expansion of the rom & relocation of map data (possibly; I'm not sure if Dr. Meat did that in version 1.03) is the problem. If you're going to retrofit, definitely RLP 1.03 is the version to work with. As far as whether CV Reynolds' Bug-Fix Comp will work with D.P., haven't tried it yet. That's the bug-fix comp everyone is using now; DarkMage's is outdated & unfinished.

Actually though, the bug-fix comps are not necessarily needed if one is using RLP, since it has it's own lengthy list of fixes. In fact, there were conflict issues with using CV's on top of RLP that prevented it's usage. I just figured out a workaround for that today (after 2 years of trying) by removing the "sealed door" & "banon riding" patches from CV's comp. Now it can be used on top of RLP 1.03, *with* the full usage of USME for editing and no patch conflicts noticed (thus far.) The upside of using CV's patch on top of RLP is that you get all of Leet Sketcher's amazing patches in one shot, as opposed to applying them one by one & having to be somewhat careful about the order they're applied. This is just extra info for anyone trying to combine all these large patches.

EDIT: One other note - Meat's RLP patch puts in his own internal ROM name which negates the usage of USME. You have to go in a hex editor & change it back to normal (FINAL FANTASY 3) before you can use USME with RLP.
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
I'm having a little trouble with one of the events in this patch... but I'm using it as a base so it might be a problem not present in your original work.

The problem is in Locke's scenario, with the secret passage.  Winding the clock unlocks it, but any screen load resets the room (for instance, leaving or opening the menu).  But the clock cannot be wound again; this creates a potential soft-lock... particularly bad if the player has saved in the basement beforehand.

Have you encountered this problem?  If not, do you know the ROM location of the event that moves the bookcase?

--
EDIT: I learned how to use ZoneDoctor to find hex addresses!
Found the spot in question, it was near CA/5EB3 and CA/7935.  My patch had different values than yours did, and when I transferred the latter into the former it fixed the problem.
Not sure how I mussed up those spots, since I haven't done any event editing and I've been nowhere near the CA block.  Anyway, I guess it was my bug, not yours.  Sorry to have bugged you!

I really like your scenario changes, by the way.  High quality work.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
(05-25-2017, 03:14 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: it might be interesting if Beyond Chaos would work with this one

The latest version of Beyond Chaos EX (https://github.com/subtractionsoup/beyon.../tag/3.1.4) does! Use the secret code "thescenarionottaken" and it'll apply this patch and make it work properly with the randomization.
  Find
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Subtraction for this post:
  • madsiur (08-08-2019), PowerPanda (08-08-2019), Robo Jesus (08-08-2019), Tenkarider (08-08-2019)