Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
MMMMMMMagic update

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
*raucous applause*

I'd like to remind you that there are three dummy spells that are in no way utilized in vanilla: Clear, Confusion and Heart Burn. If you're axing the desperation attacks, that's fifteen slots freed up for new spells, though perhaps you only have ten free bits available for spell list expansion.

For myself, I'd delve into the code and customize it to my liking for whatever purpose I had in mind. As for plug-and-play options, you might consider releasing one general-purpose patch for expanded Magic spells and Espers, allocating the extra 10 spells roughly according to vanilla proportions (B24/G21/W9/E27); in other words B3/G3/W1/E3.

There might be another case for following the FFVIA release and add the six new Esper attacks (10,000? Needles, Excalibur, Masamune, Excalipoor, Enkidu, Dark Messenger) and the three new spells (Gravija, Flood, Valor), and one more of whatever, perhaps Curaja or Comet. Though axing original content to add content from the remake is kind of weird.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I think that releasing two versions of the patch would be a good idea. I feel that this approach falls down if there's a combinatorial explosion of different options that you want to offer, but that since you are providing just two options it should be fine. You should probably name the patches themselves in a way that clearly indicates which is which though, since noobs tend not to check the ReadME.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Well, the first pass of the patch is done! I have a bunch of code to optimize/reorganize before its ready for release, but it's ready for the first round of functional testing! The only thing I haven't done yet (because I forgot) is making sure Magic works in the Colosseum. But other than that, there are 16 usable magic lists, and by editing a table at the beginning of the F3 bank, you can put those lists on anyone you want. If you want someone to have Gogo-esque magic, just give them a value of FF as their spell list ID. Have characters you want to share a special bond? give them a shared magic list! or just give a full roster's worth of characters totally non-intersecting magic.

That being said; does anyone have a low level end-game save? ideally with just about everything done and all characters gathered? I'm putting together a Beta package for testing including the MMMMMagic update + Guest Adder for showing off new lists. So I need a properly edited .srm at end game, with room from level up magic learning for Terra and Celes. Also, since this is using Guest Adder, I want to make sure the save has as many odd items as possible, so people who test the patch from the beginning (which I'll want to test a few things), we don't get problems with the wrong guest data in the WoB. Ultimately I can edit the save to add items, but the less work I have to do the better Tongue.

***The final patch will NOT have guest adder... this is just for testing purposes.***
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-31-2016, 09:17 AM)B-Run Wrote: That being said; does anyone have a low level end-game save?

Dude, plz: http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/save.../index.htm :P

Good job on the update!
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Here's a modified endgame save with all characters at level 1 and without magic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbaizs39fexxff...e.srm?dl=0
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Beta Testers Welcome!

Check the "Readme" for basic info. Post bugs/comments/hype here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yx0xrd...1_Beta.zip
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Another thing i forgot: the allignment during displayed messages for the new spells... should be a quick fix. Still, it's cool to see Leo finally learning magic!

[Image: MMMMMagic%201.9.1%20Beta001_zpsapi45qqk.png]
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
I'm assuming/hoping the lack of feedback means no one has found any bugs.

Getting ready to start the optimization phase. My plan is to make this compatible with Guest Adder, since most people probably won't know any other way to have a 15th and 16th character, so my code locations will work around Guest Adder's C3 code. Also, I will be attempting to make a .asm in addition to the .ips so more advanced hackers can place the code wherever they have room more easily... it'll just take me learning a little xkas, it looks pretty straightforward, but by this time next week the patch should be available for download.
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • Imzogelmo (09-08-2016), JWhiteLXXXIX (09-04-2016), madsiur (09-04-2016)

Status
Obliviscence
Final Beta Round!

MMMMMagic 1.9.5 Beta!

Includes:
  • headered FF3us 1.0 patched with the plug-and-play MMMMMagic update patch (no guest adder)
  • a save file with all magic unlearned
  • the full disassembly for the update
I will be making the expert hackers version this week that has no preset new magic, and desperations still enabled. It will have a .ips, a .asm, and this Thursday's stream will be dedicated to how to use/modify the patch: setting magic lists, what data to edit, and how to create and set up new spells in the lists.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
So, I know I finished all of this... but I had another idea for maybe a 2.1 version:

Totally giving up learning magic through equipment has been bugging me. It's, of course, not totally solvable... but i wonder if people would be more likely to pick up the hack if I edited it so that equipment with magic on it would grant the wearer the spell while it is equipped, rather than teaching it to them outright.... This allows gear with spells to continue being relevant, while not requiring progressive checks on the equipment.

Thoughts? worth my time? I doubt it'd take more than a few hours to write and implement.
  Find