* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
MBTI Personality Test

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Has anyone ever taken a personality test based on Briggs / Myers and Jung work? This classification divide humans personalities in 16 types, as far as deciding and perceiving goes. Each type is defined by 4 letter, each being the dominant in the following psychological preferences: Introversion/Extraversion, iNtuition/Sensing, Feeling/Thinking and Perception/Judging. Do not take the literal definition of those words as your personality trait, e.g. having a dominant Judging doesn't mean being judgmental in life.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers%E2%8..._Indicator

I'd be interested to know our members type if you guys are willing to take the test. There are a few available but I'll just link two reliable ones or commonly used.

1) http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

This is a 60 questions test, you just scale each statement. It's very fast. The site also offers a small description of each types.

2) http://similarminds.com/personality_test...5NnzaJOhzk

This one has a few under the "Jung Tests I-E S-N F-T J-P" category. You can take the quick test (60 items). I've done the last one (108 items) which give the Ennagram type also (which I have yet read about). I've also done the quick Word Choice Test that kinda confirmed my prior result but alone doesn't give a detailed result. All those test are the same, basically scaling a statement from 1 to 5.

These tests are no rocket science but are vastly used to help choosing careers and in human resources in workplaces. I think they can help also knowing yourself more and being able to decode other people personality when you read more on the subject. Regardless, I'm just curious to know other people's type and see if it fits their [online in this case] personality. When you know your type just google it and you'll find info and descriptions.

My results

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Prowess
I've taken the test once a few years ago, and once recently. Both times, I was an ISTJ.

The only thing harder than finding a needle in a haystack is finding a haystack in a needle. Laugh
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-23-2016, 09:38 AM)Cecil188 Wrote: I've taken the test once a few years ago, and once recently. Both times, I was an ISTJ.

I have a low dominance N meaning I've scored on some really short tests 50/50 or even ISTJ once. I think both facts and data (S) and context (N) matters when gathering info to make decision so I'm kind of happy to be more balanced in that regard though I'm always trying more to find the possible big pictures regarding a fact.

I've kinda been monitoring my type for the last 10 years though being consistent, it can change over years. I can say I was less quiet and reserved when younger, meaning I was less introverted.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
INTJ

Introvert(75%) iNtuitive(41%) Thinking(41%) Judging(22%)

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (75%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (41%)
You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (41%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

Similarly to you guys, I have taken the test before and I also scored INTJ back then. I read the description for ISTJ as well since that's what Cecil got and I was curious how deep the similarities would run, but I don't think that it fits me very well. I also read the description for INTP (since I seem fairly close to that as well according to the results), and that one is a lot closer. I think in some situations I tend to act more like an INTJ and in some I tend to act more like an INTP.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-23-2016, 11:28 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I also read the description for INTP (since I seem fairly close to that as well according to the results), and that one is a lot closer.  I think in some situations I tend to act more like an INTJ and in some I tend to act more like an INTP.

Both are NT types so knowledge has a predominant place. A notable difference is that a INTJ will take leadership roles easier than INTP. Also an INTP will try to push the learning of an idea to it limits while an INTJ will try to find applications of this idea. In my case I'm no leader IRL because it involves dealing with people Tongue

I think all NT types would get along well with me. I remember making a test about my ideal partner and it was "INTJ seeking INTJ" so I was pretty desperate. However INTJ's ideal partner is an ENFP / ENTP (see http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTJ_rel.html). However, I wouldn't consider this a s a prerequisite for dating, there are working couples of all types combinations.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 4
Status
Blind
I largely dont know what the hell any of this means but heres what i got:

ENTP
Extravert(34%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(6%) Perceiving(34%)

You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (34%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (6%)
You have moderate preference of Perceiving over Judging (34%)
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I tend to get INTP in these tests pretty consistently. I usually enjoy the company of other NT types and one of my best friends is a very typical ENTJ. Last few years I've really developed those F functions a lot.

I got really into MBTI a few years back and absorbed an insane amount of knowledge and insight on the topic in a short while. I typed this up back then, and since the topic came up I'd like to share it with you guys. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm on Mobil and formatting is a pain.

In order to understand the "dichotomies", you must first understand that the four-letter "type" is really just a shorthand indicating a person's development of four different cognitive functions, as described by Jung: Sensing, Intuition, Thinking and Feeling.
These functions are divided into opposing pairs that fulfill two different roles: Perceiving and Judging.
Sensing and Intuition are opposing perceptive functions. They describe how an individual takes in information from the world. Opposing in this case means that they share bandwidth, resulting in one being suppressed while the other is expressed.
Broadly, you can say that Sensing concerns the immediate sensory data entering conscious awareness and focuses on specific details, while Intuition concerns gaining an understanding of the bigger picture and capacity for abstraction, and focuses on alternate possibilities.
Yes, that sounds vague and AFAIK even Jung was vague on what Intuiton really means, other than it being related to subconscious processes.
Thinking and Feeling are opposing decision-making functions, also called Judging functions. They fulfill the role of making decisions and forming opinions, and they are responsible for pattern recognition and model-making in a broad sense. They differ in that Thinking is concerned with objective, impersonal decisions and universal truth: it is the rational logic machine of your mind. Feeling is all about personal concerns, be it your own personal emotions or values, or those of your peer group or even your enemies. If it is subjective, it is the domain of Feeling.
They are opposed the same manner as the perceptive functions; if one is expressed, the other one is suppressed.
Now, understand that Perception and Judgement really must work together; you can't have one without the other. Without Judgement, you would be hopelessly adrift in a sea of sensory input, unable to even discern objects, much like a baby. And without Perception, well, you wouldn't exist at all, seeing as your presence as an independent being in this world can only be inferred via sensory information. So, these functions work in tandem to create your unique worldview. Every individual makes use of these functions, either subconsciously or consciously. Your tendency to rely on one or more functions in different situations is what is going to determine the makeup of an individual's personality, and that tendency is going to be heavily influenced by how mature a function is, since well developed functions produce reliable results.
Development in this case means the degree to which you are consciously aware of the function expressing itself in your immediate experience, its level of maturity and your ability to discern appropriate utility of the function.
A well-developed function is one you are comfortably aware of, you know when and when not to rely on it, and you can choose to make active use of it as well as know how to enlist other functions to aid it.
For example: a mature logical reasoning capability is improved by the creativity granted by capacity for abstraction.
Really, the most important distinction between crude and developed functions is being consciously aware of their expression and being able to actively make use of them, rather than being unconsciously controlled by their passive expression.
The final piece of critical information regarding functions is that they can be applied in two different realms: your own internal processes, or the external world. This is what is meant by introversion and extraversion. Even opposing functions, like Thinking and Feeling, can be expressed simultaneously and even aid each other, so long as they are applied to different realms. If one is extraverted and the other is introverted, they no longer need to compete for expression (share bandwidth) and don't suppress each other.
With this distinction, the four functions Sensing, Intuition, Feeling and Thinking really become eight functions: Introverted Sensing, Extraverted Sensing, Introverted Intuition, Extraverted Intuition, and so on...
I'm sure you can figure out what kind of tasks most of the functions are suited for, but here's an example: Extraverted sensing concerns the ability to take in details from the environment and recognize opportunities for immediate action, as well as being focused on the present moment. This function is heavily involved in crafts or when playing games or sports.
The Introverted Sensing however, is not about the present moment. It is utilized when recalling images, words, symbols and so on. I suppose visualization and any kind of recreation of sensory data in your mind is also the domain of Introverted sensing.
So, in the end, how does an individual's development and reliance on different cognitive functions get translated into a "type"? Keep in mind one very important thing: it's all about the order of preference of your functions.
Having developed one function, it is likely, but not necessary, that the opposing function has been neglected. It is definitely possible, and common in mature individuals, that both Thinking and Feeling are well developed. Or that both the extroverted and introverted expressions of a function are well developed. Basically it boils down to simplification, and a bit of shoehorning to fit the pattern of opposing functions.
The simplification is (let's take the Feeling function as an example): if your Extraverted Feeling function is more developed than your Introverted Feeling function, even slightly, then the Feeling function is considered Extraverted. It might be a small difference, but the line must be drawn somewhere.
So, one of your functions is going to be the most developed and reliable of them all, and as such you'll likely have formed a preference for using it a lot. This is what is called your Dominant function. If the Dominant function is Introverted, you're an introvert (so your MBTI type starts with an I); if it is extraverted, you're an extrovert (MBTI first letter: E). But remember how you can't function with just one type of function, you need both Perception and Judging? So, if your Dominant function is either Sensing or Intuition (Perceptive functions), then it will need to be backed up by either Feeling or Thinking (Judging functions). This is called your Auxillary function, and according to the MBTI pattern, if your Dominant is Introverted, then the Auxillary is going to be extroverted, and vice versa.
There is more to the MBTI than Dominant and Auxillary, however. Remembering how opposing functions work, it follows that since one function is favored as Dominant and actively developed, its opposite is likely to be suppressed and underdeveloped. This is called the Inferior function, and it is always the mirror image of the Dominant.
For example, if the Dominant is Introverted Sensing, the Inferior will be Extraverted Intuition. This example is describing a proficiency with remembering details and a preference for evaluating situations based on comparison with earlier similar experience, but a deficiency in being able to connect-the-dots.
Finally, the last of the four functions that isn't Dominant, Auxillary, or Inferior is simply called Tertiary (third), denoting that it isn't as actively suppressed as the Inferior, but still likely less developed than the first two. The Tertiary function is the mirror image of the Auxillary (same purpose, but opposing functions and opposing I/E valence).
So, in our example:
Dominant: Si (Introverted Sensing)
Auxillary: Te (Extraverted Thinking)
Tertiary: Fi (Introverted Feeling)
Inferior: Ne (Extraverted Intuition)
Now, this is really all the information you need to be able to tell what mode of cognition a person is likely using most of the time, as well as their likely weaknesses in cognition, and it is what is reflected by the four-letter MBTI Type Indicator.
In our example, this type is called an ISFJ: Introverted perceptive dominant, Sensory Feeler, and the extroverted auxillary is a Judging function.
The first letter (I/E) tells you whether that type's Dominant function is introverted or extraverted, and by extension, that the Auxillary is the opposite orientation.
The second pair (S/N) tells you whether that personality type gathers information primarily with Sensing or Intuition.
The third letter (T/F) tells the preference of the decision-making and opinion-forming function.
So wait, what about that J/P dichotomy? Well, this is about a person's way of interacting with the external world, in other words, the orientation of their extroverted function (In Extroverts, it is the Dominant, and in Introverts, it is the Auxillary). It tells you whether the Extroverted function is a Perceptive or a Judging function. So, a person whose Dominant function is Extroverted Feeling, is going to be of the Judging variety, hence prone to making decisions and moving on.
If a person has a Perceptive mode of extraverting themselves however, that extraversion is going to be much more focused on gathering information, getting a good overview of the available options, even hesitating to make decisions or form opinions until pressed to do so.
One can look at it like this: a Judging character is much more likely to want to impress upon the external world an extension of their own internal world, or impose their will on others, while a Percieving type is more likely to want to gain an accurate reflection of the external world inside their own minds, and will hesitate to bring their internal world out into the open lest they influence the very thing they are trying to clearly percieve. They will likely resist someone trying to impose their will on them.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • madsiur (07-23-2016)

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
[Image: Capture_zpsznpazp2u.jpg]

Tho I'm uncertain about a bunch of questions... I took the test a number of years ago and came out INFJ. But as you can see, im pretty close on F/T and J/P and probably bounce back and forth on which is dominant depending on my current circumstances... In fact, I remember reading my old type had a tendency to become basically the polar opposite of my normal personality type if the situation called for it. but im pretty solid in the IN-- category.

I have a suspicion we will have a lot of overlap in this community.
  Find

Threads: 21
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 3
Status
Auto-life
My results:

Code:
Jung Test Results: ISTJ

Introverted (I) 77.14% Extroverted (E)  22.86%
Sensing (S)     66.67% Intuitive (N)    33.33%
Thinking (T)    83.87% Feeling (F)      16.13%
Judging (J)     78.79% Perceiving (P)   21.21%

@madsuir: if the forum system allows 16 options in a poll, you can try to open a poll for this thread. Each option should be one of the 16 personality types. The system can automatize the counting for the number of types.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
As @Hatzen08 suggested I made a poll. Number in brackets is the % in the U.S. population with data collected from 1970 to 2002.

@seibaby: I've read a bit on the theory a few years back but since it never went too far, I almost forgotten everything. I was more at the time into reading about different types rather than understanding the concepts. Thanks for your informative post. I'm starting to read more on MBTI and even ordered a French book on the subject last week.
  Find