Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tentative Runic -> SwdMagic patch

Threads: 19
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 15
Status
None
This was based on RPGX_Omega's idea, hopefully it'll get his attention. I also felt it deserved its own topic, to get a little more visibility.

Since "SwdMagic" is too big a name for the command label, I changed it to Spirit -- as in spirit of the sword. To create this new command I went the easy way and appropriated Lore. It's the one that lends itself the best for what I have in mind. There are still things to figure out, however.

The link below contains an .ips file -- patch it on a clean unheadered rom, to be safe -- and also a .srm memory file. Load the saved game and you're in the Narshe caves with Siegfried. Then try it out and tell me what you think.

Hope you guys find it interesting.

link http://download1651.mediafire.com/f5f270...spirit.rar

Edit: changed file, last one had a minor flaw.

Edit2: this new patch doesn't change Runic like the old version did. Now it's a retool of Lore for my Siegfried hack -- and possibly a bigger project.

Edit3: final demo patch
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I already knew of the replacement method.

I wanted it to work similar to FFV like how some weapons cast an element when used. Though I was wanting to be able to strike with an element on command.

Looking myself not sure if really possible. Not sure how can set it to be "physical + elemental damage".

I am not sure where the weapon data is stored but if can see how to compare those that does similar things and set it as a trigger/command that can work.

Like how Ragnarok can cast Flare. I guess you can say I am thinking it may be possible to set commands to do "Physical + Elemental Attack". The Physical possibly being the equipped sword weapon damage. Also for the command to do the cast every time instead of random chance.

Thanks for giving effort though. I appreciate it.
  Find

Status
None
No prob, good luck with your endeavor. Phys + magic damage sounds tricky.

I think I'll work on this for a while, I like the concept.

Log entry #2: I switched Celes to Siegfried and this fits him like a glove, being a swordsmaster and all. I've cemented the choice to replace Lore. Siegfried will take Strago's actor slot as well. Later I'll start on event editing for Sieg's story segments. Maybe he'll even teach Celes the fine art of Spirit. I sense a full hack coming on. Kungfu!
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(05-23-2016, 07:42 PM)FF6Fanatic Wrote: No prob, good luck with your endeavor. Phys + magic damage sounds tricky.

I think I'll work on this for a while, I like the concept.

Log entry #2: I switched Celes to Siegfried and this fits him like a glove, being a swordsmaster and all. I've cemented the choice to replace Lore. Siegfried will take Strago's actor slot as well. Later I'll start on event editing for Sieg's story segments. Maybe he'll even teach Celes the fine art of Spirit. I sense a full hack coming on. Kungfu!

This is literally how every major hack has started... someone comes in to tinker around, makes a patch, gets another idea to expand it, thinks of some neat lore to go with it, then it snowballs...

ladies and gentlemen, another victim of cold, relentless hacking addiction.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
What you could do is make a bunch of spells that have the physical property, and have different elements, and each have different animations that are variants of the "Battle" animation with some flair added in, then write a custom spell effect that loads the equipped weapon's battle power instead of the spell's spell power.

With a little menu hacking you could change Runic into a menu with 8 spells, one for each element. LightPhoenix made an extensive patch for menu Swdtech and Blitz that supposedly is pretty extensible for other menu-making purposes.
  Find

Status
None
(05-23-2016, 09:18 PM)B-Run Wrote: This is literally how every major hack has started... someone comes in to tinker around, makes a patch, gets another idea to expand it, thinks of some neat lore to go with it, then it snowballs...

ladies and gentlemen, another victim of cold, relentless hacking addiction.

I got the fever alright. Although I don't really know how it happened. Kind of like falling in love, huh. Or maybe something in the water at this site.

@Seibaby: I'll definitely check out the patch you mentioned, I could learn a lot from it.

Something I've been interested in is how to get the field menu to display the new commands in the battle menu. In my case, how to get Spirit to show up instead of Lore. Maybe LightPhoenix's patch holds the secret.
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
EASTMOST PENINSULA IS THE SECRET

Actually check out this thread of mine, explains how to properly change names in the field menu. With windhex and loading the Ff3battl.tbl, with a text search look for "Lore", and change to whatever you wish. But since Spirit is longer than Lore, you should follow this thread too.
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=3188

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Status
None
I'm following your thread as a blueprint... damn I'm a slow learner.

This is what I got atm

[Image: 5x6hdc.jpg]

lol...

I'm trying to undestand what Everything said in your thread. Why changing that value from $63 to $61 was the solution to your problem.

I learned to use tables, though! Zing
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
The string that holds the menu text starts with two bytes (one 16-bit number) that holds the position of the text.

Menus are made up of layers, and each layer has a number of tiles, ordered from top left to bottom right, like this:
Code:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08
09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F 10
...and so on.

The above is just an example; I don't think the top left tile at the bottom layer actually starts at 0x0000.

I forget how many tiles there are, but each tile is 8x8 pixels so just look at the size of a screen dump and divide that by 8.
Incrementing the bottom byte (the second one) of the positioning bytes by 0x02 moves the string one tile to the right, until it hits the right border and wraps around to the next row of tiles. Layers work similarly I think.
  Find

Status
None
I see, by that logic I need to "push" Rage into the next line of tiles? To apply the increment you mentioned I have to increase the value of the.... erm, I don't know.

[Image: 2w2rhoo.jpg]

Poking around the rom I found the character names, they start at 04/78D0 (U):

[Image: 2a0dfm1.jpg]

"Siegfd" is kinda odd. I'll make "Siegfried" fit in the menus, no matter what it takes Pummel
  Find