FF6 Battle Background Palette Helper
by madsiur
version 1.02
released on 07/29/2017
Download
wiki entry
GitHub Repository

Summary
In one sentence, what this archive contain ease the battle background (BBG) palette editing by allowing correct background images to be edited in Gimp, then their palettes imported in the ROM. The archive contain all default palette, BBG rips and final BBG rips with correct palette order (which are those displayed in this thread and on the wiki). The archive also contain a palette exporter, image converter and palette importer.

All displayed rips are 256×147 8bpp indexed PNG images with FF3us ROM palette order. All rips available on the internet are 240×141 non-indexed images. Removing the game window black border allow almost a full rip, except for a row of 1 pixel. It is strongly suggested to check the readme if you want to edit Battle Background palettes.

Normal Static Backgrounds

[Image: bg_00.png] [Image: bg_01.png] [Image: bg_02.png] [Image: bg_03.png] [Image: bg_04.png] [Image: bg_05.png] [Image: bg_06.png] [Image: bg_07.png] [Image: bg_08.png] [Image: bg_09.png] [Image: bg_0a.png] [Image: bg_0b.png] [Image: bg_0c.png] [Image: bg_0d.png] [Image: bg_0e.png] [Image: bg_0f.png] [Image: bg_10.png] [Image: bg_11.png] [Image: bg_12.png] [Image: bg_13.png] [Image: bg_14.png] [Image: bg_15.png] [Image: bg_16.png] [Image: bg_17.png] [Image: bg_18.png] [Image: bg_19.png] [Image: bg_1a.png] [Image: bg_1b.png] [Image: bg_1c.png] [Image: bg_1d.png] [Image: bg_1e.png] [Image: bg_1f.png] [Image: bg_20.png] [Image: bg_21.png] [Image: bg_22.png] [Image: bg_23.png] [Image: bg_24.png] [Image: bg_25.png] [Image: bg_26.png] [Image: bg_27.png] [Image: bg_28.png] [Image: bg_29.png] [Image: bg_2a.png] [Image: bg_2b.png] [Image: bg_2c.png] [Image: bg_2d.png] [Image: bg_2e.png] [Image: bg_2f.png] [Image: bg_30.png] [Image: bg_33.png] [Image: bg_34.png] [Image: bg_35.png] [Image: bg_36.png] [Image: bg_37.png]

Heat Wave Backgrounds

[Image: bg_02_w.png] [Image: bg_19_w.png] [Image: bg_23_w.png] [Image: bg_2e_w.png] [Image: bg_2f_w.png] [Image: bg_37_w.png]
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • q8fft (08-07-2017), SSJ Rick (07-24-2017), Tenkarider (07-23-2017)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Cool, i saw you put existant wavy BG... what if someone remove/add wavy property to 1+ BG?
still work in the same way your tools?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-23-2017, 01:19 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: Cool, i saw you put existant wavy BG... what if someone remove/add wavy property to 1+ BG? still work in the same way your tools?

The set of 54 BBG have the 6 heat wave BBG but the property is removed. The 6 BBG at the bottom have the property set. The difference is that the heat effect can be made with the third palette of 16 (colors 32 to 48). Those may appear "unused" on an image with the effect disabled. Using a BBG image with heat effect enabled (like provided in the archive) allow to edit more colors in Gimp, the only advantage it gave is you might have a better idea of what you are editing instead of going a bit blind for colors 32 to 48 in the other case. This was observed on a test desert BBG, I can't guarantee all 6 BBGs work this way and I dunno about a heat effect on a normal BBG (tested on Opera BBG and the effect was working).

Also I updated the release to version 1.01. I had mistaken provided a duplicate set of 8bpp BBG in the place of the 32bpp rips. This also led to some bug with the converter because I mistakenly tested it with the 8bpp set, so the bug was hidden until I realized the swap and tested with a 32bpp set. Bug is now fixed.

Edit:
When the band is about to start but the venue is overcrowded
and temperature reach one similar to a humid day of summer

[Image: crowdy.gif]
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (07-24-2017)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
very very nice man

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Tissue-aware
I updated to version 1.02. Converter optimization (one final image generated instead of one temporary one and one final), code clean-up and source now included. I also made a GitHub repository (see 1st post). This is the final versions of the utilities.
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
I wanna do an edit to the Figaro Castle tentacle background, where I just recolor the tentacles a different color but change nothing else. Is there an easy way to just do that in hex or do I gotta go through all this?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(07-02-2018, 09:18 PM)DrakeyC Wrote: Is there an easy way to just do that in hex or do I gotta go through all this?

Yes the easy way is "all this", meaning editing the palette correct yellows in Gimp and importing it in the ROM, unless you can blindly and magically edit a palette in a hex editor.

Edit: You cannot edit graphics with this tool, it only edit the palette.

Edit2: Sorry if I sounded a bit rude, but you can't tell which colors are yellows and to which hex value to change them by looking at 96 bytes in a hex editor, you need some sort of visual support and conversion tool, which is what this process do.
  Find

Threads: 36
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 41
Status
None
Okay, thanks.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
We can use this to change the backgrounds now finally? Wicked.