Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Palette Editing Tutorial (outdated)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
dude read through this thread it tells you what to do

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Well pictures would help to be honest everthing seems chinese to me
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-04-2014, 10:17 PM)wolfokami321 Wrote: Well pictures would help to be honest everthing seems chinese to me

I suggest you read some hex tutorials available here. In fact you only need to know how to deal with offsets. Then you can check the document I posted in this thread, it gives you all the assignation offsets. I can't do anything if this makes your nose bleed or give you migraine.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (09-06-2014)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
Looking at this thread, I can see why some people got confused upon reading the explanation. I'm going to attempt to make this clearer.

(Note: I am going to assume that the reader does have a basic understanding of tiles, how they make up sprites, and how pallettes and indices work, and that they are stored separately from tiles. Aside from understanding hexadecimal, this is critical to grasp before proceeding. If, as a reader, you do not understand this, please review the linked supplemental material.)

In Final Fantasy VI, the roster of playable characters is made up of sprites which are assigned predetermined palettes. However, through hex editing, you can change which of these predetermined palettes a sprite uses.

It is important to note that each playable character has two palettes assigned to their sprites. One palette is exclusively used for in-battle sprites while the other palette is used for out-of-battle sprites. Swithcing the predetermined palette for battle sprites is more straightforward, so we will begin here.

First things first, one needs a hex editor and a headered copy of the FF3 rom.

If you have both of these, open the rom in the hex editor. The hex editor should have a list of addresses to the left.

Scroll down or search until one reaches the address 0002d020, or 2D020 for short.

From this row, move the cursor over to column B. if the rom has not been tampred with and it has been headered this value should read 02. This 02 represents Terra's in-battle pallette, as the pallette for her character is stored at this address (row 0002d020, column b). If you want her to use, say, Locke's pallete, change 02 into 01, then start a new game.

As mentioned above, though, this only changes how she appears in battle, though. To change the pallete she uses outside of battle is more involved.

[To be continued]
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Turbotastic for this post:
  • madsiur (03-14-2016), SSJ Rick (04-15-2016)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
If I could merge your post with the first one I would.

This among some other stuff is not clear in OP:

if changing battle palettes here is the offset 2D02B (search SNES Hi Rom) <- This is not an HiRom offset.
  Find