Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy 6: Two Sides of the Same Coin

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
So, as this thread states... I'm slowly working on my own hack.Tongue

The hack basically follows the plot of Final Fantasy 6, but changes things as if there were some different characters involved during the story. Along with these edits come new skills, a new magic-learning system, new enemies, and even some new challenges that await you.

I still have a LOOOOONG way to go, but I thought I would post some screenshots of what I have done so far.

[Image: imgshk.png]

A basic battle in progress. It shows one of the new characters, as well as how they all have unique command sets. Not every character gains the ability to use Magic now.

The full roster of playable characters.

A look at one of the new skill sets.

A look at the menu. Unfortunately, there isn't any high quality face pictures of the new characters. So, I'm using sprites instead. Kinda gives it an FF5 feel.

New, updated, more mature dialogue. No more censoring someone telling another character to die by telling them they're going to sleep, for example. >.>
SmileCharacter Information:Smile
Terra- No real changes. She now learns strictly Black Magic attacks as she levels up. There are three spells she can only learn through the use of certain, rare weapons...
Commands- Attack, Trance, Magic, Items

Rita- Replaces Locke. Rita is a professional at gathering information and observation. She makes her living researching the various monsters that roam Gaia. She tends to be a bit direct to the point and becomes angry when people acuse her of being a hunter.
Commands- Attack, Steal, Blue, Items

Edgar- Again, no real changes. I brought out his more... playboy ways, making him a bit more flirtatious as I always imagined him being. Still, he's the same responsible king with a knack for technology that wel all know and love.
Commands- Attack, Tools, Jump, Items

Lenne- Replaces Sabin. Edgar's twin sister. She's hyper and a bit less refined compared to Edgar. Headstrong all the way, Lenne isn't one to back down from a challenge. She is a monk in all aspects now. Lenne can duel wield claws, but they do not add to her basic attack power. Instead, they add elemental properties to her attack power.
Commands- Attack, Blitz, Throw, Items

Shadow- No changes have really been made to Shadow. He can now dual wield his knives, but their attack power have been weakened because of such. He can now use his ninja stars as a weapon, but he loses the ability to dual wield if you do so. They're also weaker than two ninja daggers combined for the most part. Basically, it allows you to choose power or defense for the ninja.
Commands- Attack, Throw, Mug, Items

Judith- Replaces Cyan. A dark knight from the kingdom of Doma. She is a warrior of few words with a cold, calculating personality. Judith tends to remain on the serious side, attacking her foes with the power of darkness. The Dark Knights of Doma have managed to keep Magic alive through their vigorous training...
Commands- Attack, Heretic, Magic, Items

Gau- Absolutely no changes have been made to Gau, save for his commands.
Commands- Rage, Leap, Steal, Items

Celes- No real changes have been made to Celes. She is now more or less a Paladin type character, learning only White Magic spells as she levels up.
Commands- Attack, Runic, Magic, Items

Setzer- No real changes have been made to Setzer. For the most part, only his commands have changed.
Commands- Attack, Slots, GP Rain, Items

Kupo- Basically, a renamed Mog. Seeing as how easily he commanded Umaro, I imagined he would have a knack for speaking to and controlling monsters. He no longer has Dance.
Commands- Attack, Control, Health, Items

Tamber- Replaces Strago. Tamber is a young girl who has learned to express herself through the art of dance. She is Relm's sister, about a year or so older than the young artist. She tries to remain mature for her age, but Relm's antics can occasionally draw out her younger-side. She learns a variety of status effect magics.
Commands- Attack, Dance, Magic, Items

Relm-No real changes have been made to Relm. She retains her magic ability, learning various Time magics.
Commands- Attack, Sketch, Magic, Items

Umaro- No changes.

Gogo- Has been nerfed a bit. He can only equip a few daggers and some of the throwing weapons naturally. For the rest, he requires a certain relic which allows him to equip more.
Commands(Starting)- Attack, Mimic, Items
Hmm... Don't know why it's not showing my pctures...
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
oh to show the images u need to upload them to image shack and include the direct link within [img] [/img]

and they should appear just fine Wink

other then that the character info is good but since this is overall still FF6

u should explain some other aspects to the story

it sounds good but I wanna hear a bit more about it Wink

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I personally really like the skillset changes. Very appropriate.

What do "Heretic" and "Blue" do? Also, what kind of changes did you make to the Dance skillsets?

Looking forward to the screenshots!

Threads: 9
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
There. Got 'em to work. Thanks, Poco. Laugh

Yes, I suppose I should go into the newer skill sets.Surprised

Blue is basically Lore. It is essentially the same thing, but I did tweak the skills to make more than one or two useful. There are now several elemental attacks in them for example. Giga Volt, for example is now learnable and deals Lightning elemental damage to all enemies. Since a character now has Lores available during the start of the game, the enemies will be reworked to where a few of them are learnable earlier in the game.

Heretic replace Swd Tech. Heretic skills focus on disabling enemies through means of inflicting negative status effects, HP based attacks, or pure damage. For example, Minus Strike deals damage based on the difference between Judith's max and current HP. Curse Slice inflicts negative status effects(Imp, Sleep, and Darkness) on an enemy.

Dances for the time being still work the same. The only difference is they are learned later in the game. I might tweak them a bit. I would like to actually make them more useful/stable. But I really don't have much of an issue with them for the time being.

Other skill changes involve balancing the elemental spells. Fire, Ice, and Bolt all cost the same MP cost per level and have the same power. W Wind has been destroyed and replaced with Aero, a powerful wind elemental spell that targets all enemies.

Espers no longer teach magic or give any sort of bonuses when leveling up. They can still be summoned in battle, however.

The basic differences of the game are a bit more subtle. Unlike the original game, magic is still in existance, but EXTREMELY rare. The only well known case of it naturally existing is Terra, Thamasa, and the dark knights of Doma. In fact, the sole reason for the Empire attack on Doma is to eliminate the threat of this. Basically, the Empire wishes to obtain a full domination on magic and along with it the world. There are more changes, such as relationships between characters, developments into their back stories, but I really don't want to give a whole lot away just yet.

There are several things I wish to do for this hack. I would like to have a LOT of custom monsters, some custom music(any possible help with this part would be LOVED), and some extra bosses as well are planned. Naturally, this will require some custom sprites for the enemies(and maybe a field sprite or two for the special boss battles). I already have had some help with character sprites, mostly thanks to Poco as well as the two responsible for making Final Fantasy 6: A Complete Hack(http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/650/). I don't know their names, but they're responsible for the sprites that Loco helped to refine.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Cool screenshots. Rita looks great. Judith and Lenne are pretty decent.

And there's no nice way to say this, but I have to be honest - Tamber is an unholy abomination of ugly. But there's hope. If you just make her head bigger, she'll be alright. Also, make sure to use an outline. It looks weird for the rest of your cast to have an outline while one of them has a squashed head and fuzzy, un-outlined hair.

Skillsets sound pretty good. Particularly Heretic.

To make Dances more stable, you could adjust their probability rate of being used. The default is 7/16, 6/16, 2/16, 1/16 for each available move in a Danceset. You could adjust those up or down with a hex editor as you see fit.

FF6: ACH is by MC50.