Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Why Leo?

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I get the sense from the story though that Leo DIDN'T know what was going on most of the time. Gesthal and Kefka intentionally hid things from him to use him as a tool. He may have had enough clues to put pieces together, but his belief in what he THOUGHT the Empire stood for allowed him to "normalize" those clues. It wasn't until he had it in front of him that he realized what was going on.

I'll be interested to see what you guys think of the direction I'm taking his character if and when my hack is complete.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(05-12-2017, 07:00 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: Also, a big part of the problem with how to view Leo is that since the game is from the perspective of the rebels, we are not privy to his actions outside of what is seen, and from what is seen Leo does seem to be a soldier with true honor, just misguided. He could be actively ignoring what is happening in the Empire, or maybe he is feeling guilt after the fact end overly blames himself for his actions.

(05-13-2017, 12:37 PM)Turbotastic Wrote: The central problem with any interpretation of Leo is that due to the point of view the game uses to tell its story, we as the audience never know enough to make any judgment beyond that of the characters. The Empire is obscured intentionally so we never get more than the vaguest glimpses of its inner workngs. We only get to see it from the perspective of its victims.

For instance, Celes turned traitor. However we are not giving any sort of context or backstory as to what drove her to her decision, or even what she did.  The only direct, specific mention of her former deeds comes from Cyan. It's telling that despite Leo and Celes being both generals and perhaps the only two authority figures in the Empire who were arguably decent people, there is no actual on screen interaction between them in the game. Basically, Leo reintroduces her to Locke and that's it; Leo means more to Terra than Celes.

You guys are dancing all over CoV's entire premise. Smile (if only I would work on the dang thing.)

Personally, I think there was a LOT more gray in the empire than we are privy to, but we are given a very narrow perspective on a very select few characters, albeit those in charge. Leo's position could have been informed by a lot of factors, and the "blind eye" or lack thereof, I think, is very open for interpretation (like in any good literature).

Happy Hacking to both of you in your ventures!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • PowerPanda (05-15-2017)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
https://www.zophar.net/hacks/snes/final-...n-387.html

there's already a hack out there that lets you get leo.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Hey there Kidd, welcome. Thanks for the heads up about that hack, although I must say that I'm pretty sure everyone here as well as this thread is aware of said hack. It was mentioned briefly in this thread and we host it here as well Wink

Just because there's one Leo hack out there doesn't mean there couldn't/shouldn't be more. The fact that Leo Edition replaces Shadow for Leo could be deemed incentive enough right there, though I do understand the reasoning behind it. I probably would have used Umaro or Gogo's spot and made them Guest Characters ala HatZen's patch, but it is what it is, and it really is a nice quality hack indeed. I'd be happy to see more Leo backstory events, or the classic idea of a resurrection in the WoR. Or a large hack that focuses purely on him from the Empire's side would be cool. There's a bunch of ways to go about it I'd say.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.