Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Giving Gau's Magic to Umaro

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Okay, this one needs a bit of backstory. The hack that I am doing is one that adds Leo as a playable character. I am aware of "General Leo Edition", and am playing through it right now, but I am unable to justify giving up Shadow to put Leo in. My plan is to place Leo in Umaro's position $0D. Then, I will either create a hybrid "Gaumaro", by having Gau equip the Bone Club, Rage Ring, and Blizzard Orb, or to use HatZen's guest character adder to make Umaro a permanent guest in position $30.

I've tried a couple of hacks here that make Gogo or Umaro able to learn Magic, but they all require giving up Gogo's "Magic List Mimic" ability, drastically changing what Gogo means as a character. My solution is to actually change Gau around, since he never felt fully realized. I'm using a combination of hacks people have already made:
* Gau learns Rages after simply battling enemies, not by Leaping on the Veldt.
* Gau does not go into Berzerk when he uses his Rages. He can choose one each turn.
* Rages use the Control list to get 4 options for attack instead of 2.
* As stated above, I may also merge Gau and Umaro so that the fight command either attacks or charges, with the ability to add "throw" and "storm" later.
* Gau's commands are thus | Fight | Rage | Summon | Item (using the "Summon This" hack. Note, I've given up on trying to make Summon act like Magicite)

This frees up space in the SRAM to have another character learn Magic. I've been looking around in disassembles, but I can't figure out how characters are linked to a specific magic list. How would I go about moving a magic list from $0B to $0D?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
You'll need to remove some checks for Gogo AND above IDs such as this one (search "gogo" or "Umaro" in bank $C2). The following is done after battle:

Code:
C2/5E59: B9 D8 3E     LDA $3ED8,Y (Which character it is)
C2/5E5C: C9 0C        CMP #$0C
C2/5E5E: B0 13        BCS $5E73   (Branch if Gogo or Umaro)
C2/5E60: 20 83 62     JSR $6283   (Stores address for spells known by character in $F4)

You'll need to modify the following code; if actor ID == $0D, do $0B * 54 instead of $0D * 54. I'm not sure if the actor ID in X is reused later so you might have to save it and restore the real actor ID after this function.

Code:
Stores address for spells known by character in $F4

C2/6283: 08           PHP
C2/6284: EB           XBA
C2/6285: A9 36        LDA #$36      ; # of spells per character
C2/6287: 20 81 47     JSR $4781     ; Character ID (in X) * 54
C2/628A: C2 21        REP #$21
C2/628C: 69 6E 1A     ADC #$1A6E    ; multiplication result + Base offset (Terra's fire spell address)
C2/628F: 85 F4        STA $F4       ; store to use later
C2/6291: 28           PLP
C2/6292: 60           RTS

There will be other things to modify, as an example for magic list loading during battle likely. This is also in bank $C2. You'll need to use the same concept as swapping $0D for $0B for the time you need.

Edit: Similar code at C2/56CC.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • PowerPanda (03-11-2017)

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
This patch doesn't remove Gogo-style Magic. The only sacrifice is learning magic via equipment, but it will allow up to 16 fully functional magic lists. You could skip rearranging the characters and just add Leo in the first NPC slot as a permanent character.

If you need help with specifics, let me know and I can walk you through setting it up to your liking.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • PowerPanda (03-15-2017)