Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Map Layer 2 got... weird

Threads: 15
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 10
Status
None
I'm hoping someone can advise me.

I'm working on the next release of my hack. Somewhere along the way, Layer 2 of the Figaro Castle at night map got FUBAR'd. Now, during the Figaro brothers flashback, the map won't load and the game hangs.

Is there any way to pull a clean copy of either that map layer or the whole map from a vanilla rom and copy-paste over to my hack? I do this a lot when I make a boo-boo but I don't know where this particular map is stored in the data.

Any help is appreciated. I have all my changes made and was doing a final run through to test everything, and... here I am.

Thanks.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
You can check your Tilemap ID for L2 in Zone Doctor or FF6LE and get the good pointer from here:

Code:
D9CD90     D9D1AF     Pointers to Map Formations (3 bytes each, +$D9D1B0)
D9D1B0     DDFFFF     Map Formations (350 items, compressed)

Pointer + $D9D1B0 = tilemap offset. The first two bytes of the data is your data length or you can simply take up to the next pointer. Copy this data in your ROM but make sure to not overflow on the next start of data. If you made changes to maps or maybe simply by saving with the editor, tilemaps might have been optimized so pointers might not have the exact same values in your hack.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • fedorajoe (12-18-2016)

Status
None
Thank you so much!  Victory

I use Zone Doctor for everything but some of the advanced features have been a bit over my head.  I'll try this out later today. Thanks again, I was in serious despair this  morning.  Cover

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-18-2016, 02:13 PM)fedorajoe Wrote: I use Zone Doctor for everything but some of the advanced features have been a bit over my head.  I'll try this out later today. Thanks again, I was in serious despair this  morning.

Zone Doctor is ok for basic map edits as far as for its features that were present in FF6LE. However, Zone Doctor is not recommended for its new map edit features that are in some case buggy and can corrupt map related data. I would stay away from its event editor as well. I personally use FF6LE Rogue (for expanded ROMs only) which is a lot more stable while not being perfect.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • fedorajoe (12-18-2016)

Status
None
Madsiur, thank you for being so generous with your time and experience.

Your comment got me thinking, maybe I could fix the issue by just manually adjusting the tilemap ID for layer 2 in Zone Doctor.  Sure enough, manually shifting the value a bit got the pointer back to how it's supposed to be.  I did make some significant map edits in another area so that's probably what somehow did it.

Also, thanks for the tip about Zone Doctor--I've had it on my PC for several years and hadn't explored any alternatives.

Have a great day!

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-18-2016, 05:02 PM)fedorajoe Wrote: Your comment got me thinking, maybe I could fix the issue by just manually adjusting the tilemap ID for layer 2 in Zone Doctor.  Sure enough, manually shifting the value a bit got the pointer back to how it's supposed to be.

Well yes, if your L2 Tilemap ID for that map is different than in vanilla game, restoring it to original should fix the problem.
  Find