Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing Sprites and Palettes

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Hello,

So I'd like to add a challenging Monster-in-a-Box battle somewhere in World of Balance. To this end, I configured Enemy #1 (Soldier) to also serve the function of Enemy #377 (The Soldiers from Terra's flashback with Kefka), freeing slot #377 for a new encounter. The trouble now is that Terii Senshi's wonderful Sprite Editor no longer recognizes my ROM (nor does it recognize an untouched unheadered FF3US1.0 ROM, so perhaps this is a header issue?), so I have to find some other way to change the appearance of the sprite from a Soldier to something more suitable. I expect this would be rather straightforward, likely just the adjustment of a couple values, though if anyone could inform me as to where to look or what needs to be done, I would of course be most appreciative.

Thank you!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Well the first step is adding a header to your ROM when using FF3se, otherwise the editor won't work.
  Find

Status
None
I see, well, how might I go about that? I've had no luck so far with SNESTool, NSRT, or ROM Expander Pro. When I removed the header initially I just lopped off the first 512 bytes using a hex editor, though re-applying it is proving notably more difficult.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Try SNESStuff.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Or... Open the ROM with HxD then Edit -> Insert Bytes -> type "200" -> click Ok and save ROM.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Rainflush (12-10-2016)

Status
None
Success! Thank you Madsiur!

So I'm assuming that if I alter the sprite in FF3SE, and then remove the 200 bytes, the ROM should work as intended?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-10-2016, 03:30 PM)Rainflush Wrote: So I'm assuming that if I alter the sprite in FF3SE, and then remove the 200 bytes, the ROM should work as intended?

Yes it will!
  Find

Status
None
Excellent, now, concerning FF3SE, I assume that if I tinker with the pixels of a given sprite without changing the palette, the sprites who share that palette will not be affected; is this the case?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-10-2016, 05:27 PM)Rainflush Wrote: Excellent, now, concerning FF3SE, I assume that if I tinker with the pixels of a given sprite without changing the palette, the sprites who share that palette will not be effected; is this the case?

It's the other way around. Let's say you have monster A and B sharing the Guard sprite. Changing palette on A will do nothing to B but changing a pixel on A will reflect on B but it might not be the same color change if the palette is different.

Edit: Sorry I think I've misread; changing a pixel does not affect another monster having different graphics but sharing the same palette.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Rainflush (01-18-2022)