Poll: What, if anything, should be changed for Iris?
Everything, scrap her entirely.
Alter her concept/backstory
Make a brand new backstory
Alter her design
Make a brand new design
Alter her ability
Make a brand new ability
She's just fine, leave the poor girl alone!
Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Iris Havengard Current Progress

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
What could be cool is having one or two relic(s) that influence the randomness of the spells. I could see at least in two ways:

A relics could drop to 0% the chance of a healing / buff / debuff spell being chose among the five possible spells. Same could be done for offensive spells or we could even force the esper choice if proper relic is equiped. As an example if the fusing on an esper offer 2 offensive spells, 1 debuff spell, 1 healing spell and the esper call, the "defensive" relic could produce a 50%-50% odds between the debuff and healing spells.

In a similar way, instead of theoric 20% chance for each choice in a vanilla odds setup, a relic could increase the chance of stronger spells (defensive or offensive), as an example a 10%-10%-10%-30%-40% odds setup.

Also I don't see Fuse as losing control of the character, it's more an uncertain call each time and the strategy rely on the esper equipped mostly. It's a bit like attacking with the pearl lance while being blind: your shot can either miss, hit, hit and cast pearl or hit and do critical damage. You're in control the whole time, you're just not certain of which possibility will occur. Rage on the other hand is losing control, but I see Fuse as an ability that can be chosen each turn.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
I voted to alter the ability and her appearance.

For her appearance I mean only the portrait. It is not a bad portrait by any means, but the style seems a little too different from the others and the pose is too similar to Terra's. Maybe one based off of the unused Terra Esper form would work well.

As for the Fuse ability, it sounds a lot like the spells used by the Evoker job from Final Fantasy III mixed with that game's version of the Terrain ability. I think this is a great thing. Given that FF6 was originally called FF3 in he US, it creates a subtle little nod to that in a way.

This is the set up I think would be most fun to play with...
- Simple command, no menu.
- Spell list dependent on equipped Esper and drawn from a common pool.
- 1 of 5 possible spells is cast when selecting the command.
- 1 'backfire' (target WWind style, low damage, 'lite' ailment on user like blind)
- 2 'weak' spell (single target)
- 3 'strong' spell (group target)
- 4 'overflow' (group target, 'lite' ailment on party)
- 5 Esper summon spell (lowest chance to use, 'serious' ailment on user like condemn) <- less new animations, too.

I like the idea of just using the summon casting animation in a different palette too. A flashing rainbow palette might be cool to represent the wildness.
Instead of eliminating backfire in the WoR, it should be through a new relic.
And instead of a relic that improves certain outcomes, if possible, it should be a new piece of equipment like how the Coronet improves Control for Relm.
And if ever there was a character that should have the fixed version of the summon command it is definitely Iris.
In fact, that could be what her special command relic does.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
The only problem with adding relics is that we don't have expanded items, so we would have to REPLACE something, and I'd like as much of vanilla to stay in tact as possible. We are working on bonus content, not alternate. But I am open to suggestions.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-13-2016, 08:02 AM)B-Run Wrote: The only problem with adding relics is that we don't have expanded items, so we would have to REPLACE something, and I'd like as much of vanilla to stay in tact as possible. We are working on bonus content, not alternate. But I am open to suggestions.

Item expansion is out of question for me (as a task assigned to me), even if we use T-Edition as a base (it could be feasible though). If someone wants to attempt it, he's welcome. I had look into it once but it was a humongous task and specific RAM used for item indexes ($EXXX) in FF6j might conflict in the US version.

However we could maybe remove a Umaro specific relic? I don't remember what it does but if we free the two least useful relics spots, we could have a character specific relic for our two extra characters. I understand however the spirit of leaving vanilla game as much vanilla as possible for this project.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I don't like the idea of changing a Relic to something else, because I don't really want to change vanilla either. I am more open to the idea of having one of the vanilla Relics also have the effect of changing Iris' command. For example, if the Hero Ring (just an example, there's probably a dozen better choices) were to change Iris' command when equipped to her, it would have no conflicts with vanilla at all, as long as the Hero Ring still has the same effect when equipped to somebody else.

Confused Moogles FTW
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Lockirby2 for this post:
  • madsiur (10-16-2016), Robo Jesus (10-18-2016), SSJ Rick (10-16-2016)

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-14-2016, 11:44 AM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I am more open to the idea of having one of the vanilla Relics also have the effect of changing Iris' command.

Brilliant! : D
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
that is a pretty good idea actually

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Very brilliant! Altering an existing relic would be perfect. Perhaps the cursed ring would be an interesting choice?
I was going to suggest an idea I had some time ago to use one of the unused rare items, but this is much better.
However, for the purpose of a trigger to improve the Fuse ability in the WoR, it might be cool to find a rare item that does it.
That would make more polished and give it more depth.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
(10-18-2016, 05:43 PM)Vanya Wrote: Very brilliant! Altering an existing relic would be perfect. Perhaps the cursed ring would be an interesting choice?
I was going to suggest an idea I had some time ago to use one of the unused rare items, but this is much better.
However, for the purpose of a trigger to improve the Fuse ability in the WoR, it might be cool to find a rare item that does it.
That would make more polished and give it more depth.
That would leave;
Czarina Ring
Cursed Ring
Dragon Horn
FakeMustache
Memento Ring
Merit Award
Moogle Charm
Sprint Shoes

Tongue
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
I agree with the idea the Cursed Ring should be the relic to either be replaced or expanded to pair with Iris.

The Cursed Ring has no purpose in the original game other than to be gotten for the sake of being gotten. Plus, since Iris is "CursedWithAwesome" as the trope goes, this would fit thematically with the character. From her outward appearance alone, she'd be shunned, but like the ring her true worth would be uncovered under the right circumstances. Pairing a failed item with a failed experiment is perfect.
  Find