Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Project Overview

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
hahaha that's a cool idea

I always thought either getting and imp or a soldier would have been freaking awesome

possibly something along the lines of recruiting the soldier in the Colosseum or even just getting a soldier somewhere and using that soldier for an event to give the char an item or something (who knows I'm just throwing something out there lol)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
(10-06-2016, 12:27 AM)Madsiur Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 06:57 AM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Well, there was an idea brought up in Auction House thread about the "Imp Robot" being a possible playable character

I wonder how much backstory and game event blending an auction house character would have compared to a character that is actually incorporated in the game events from the WOB and has ties with NPCs or PCs. The Imp Robot is a prize that the party win, it's hard to make him more deep than Gogo or Umaro...

Well, the "Imp Robot" as a playable character thought has been around for a long time by a large number of people, and as Vanya pointed out, a character like that can be tied into the plot somehow with very little work, but the real desire there is the ability to have "Magitek" as an option for a skill outside of the game start and Cyan's dream sequence.

Well, I suppose if the coders wanted they could easily add in another "Item List" (255 potential items) into the coding and then take advantage of the items for various things like the "Lion's Armlet" patch did (like gaining access to the "Health" skill).

But speaking of potential ideas involving the items, FF6 as a setting is supposed to have "Gunpowder". Where is it? Why not rename the superhappyfunball type item into things like "Grenades", and then mess around with the coding to make 'more and less powerful' versions? A lot of those items can also be turned into "Magic" items, specialized relics that do things for various characters like 'Leo's Armlet', 'natural' monster 'item' drops like "Feathers", "Bones", and "Scales" (among other things) that can be used in the collessium or special events, and there'd still be a ton of item spaces left over.

I also loved what "Brave New World" did with regards to learning spells and improving stats, but know that might not be workable due to it using the unused Cyan coding spaces for that bit of coding work. Sad

Ideas beyond that though?

An Esper (or Monster maybe?) that survives Kefka's shit and joins the party is one thing that springs to mind. Regarding the idea of a "Soldier" joining the party, in the WoR the underground passage in and out of South Figaro does have a lot of WoB enemies (I.E. Soldiers) running about, so that could be tied that into things if desired. Only issue is explaining why the Empire soldiers down there are still attacking even after the Empire agreed to leave though (let alone what they're doing still existing after Kefka fucked everything up). Still, that is fixable and usable if desired.

Another thought is monsters having multiple steals. You should recognize your own work with that. https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=3173 LaughTongue
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Robo Jesus for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (10-17-2016)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Well, I suppose if the coders wanted they could easily add in another "Item List" (255 potential items) into the coding [...]

This is possible but nobody I am aware of knows how to expand items. Serious work would need to be done, even if we consider using FF6-T code as a base. There is also the free RAM problem (not SRAM) for items management during the game. FF6-T cannot be copied in this regard since it has FF6j as a base.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: But speaking of potential ideas involving the items, FF6 as a setting is supposed to have "Gunpowder". Where is it? Why not rename the superhappyfunball type item into things like "Grenades", and then mess around with the coding to make 'more and less powerful' versions? A lot of those items can also be turned into "Magic" items, specialized relics that do things for various characters like 'Leo's Armlet', 'natural' monster 'item' drops like "Feathers", "Bones", and "Scales" (among other things) that can be used in the collessium or special events, and there'd still be a ton of item spaces left over.

These are great ideas but unless I see items expansion feasible and on the table, current items modifications are a bit out of scope for this project. We want this hack to be as close to vanilla as possible but with expansions related to the two new characters. What could be possible like Lockirby stated is adding an effect to an item when Iris use or wore it without altering the original effect on the first 14th characters.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: I also loved what "Brave New World" did with regards to learning spells and improving stats, but know that might not be workable due to it using the unused Cyan coding spaces for that bit of coding work.

BNW has a nice system but then again vanilla system should be kept if we want to stick to the project spirit. I'm not against a change on this regard though.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: An Esper (or Monster maybe?) that survives Kefka's shit and joins the party is one thing that springs to mind. Regarding the idea of a "Soldier" joining the party, in the WoR the underground passage in and out of South Figaro does have a lot of WoB enemies (I.E. Soldiers) running about, so that could be tied that into things if desired. Only issue is explaining why the Empire soldiers down there are still attacking even after the Empire agreed to leave though (let alone what they're doing still existing after Kefka fucked everything up). Still, that is fixable and usable if desired.

There will probably be a character concept / story submission thread for the 16th spot so you'll be able to submit your ideas to vote. I like the idea of a soldier joining.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Another thought is monsters having multiple steals. You should recognize your own work with that.

With item expansion this would be cool. Your "crafting" or Colosseum items you mentioned would be perfect with this. However item ID in the steal / drop table is one byte it would need to be expanded to two. I know there is a way to use the MSB of the SRAM item quantity byte to signify additional items during gameplay but I don't know for item IDs as data. Even if FF6A you cannot win or steal an item beyond $FF.
  Find

Status
None
(10-16-2016, 07:10 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Well, I suppose if the coders wanted they could easily add in another "Item List" (255 potential items) into the coding [...]

This is possible but nobody I am aware of knows how to expand items. Serious work would need to be done, even if we consider using FF6-T code as a base. There is also the free RAM problem (not SRAM) for items management during the game. FF6-T cannot be copied in this regard since it has FF6j as a base.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: But speaking of potential ideas involving the items, FF6 as a setting is supposed to have "Gunpowder". Where is it? Why not rename the superhappyfunball type item into things like "Grenades", and then mess around with the coding to make 'more and less powerful' versions? A lot of those items can also be turned into "Magic" items, specialized relics that do things for various characters like 'Leo's Armlet', 'natural' monster 'item' drops like "Feathers", "Bones", and "Scales" (among other things) that can be used in the collessium or special events, and there'd still be a ton of item spaces left over.

These are great ideas but unless I see items expansion feasible and on the table, current items modifications are a bit out of scope for this project. We want this hack to be as close to vanilla as possible but with expansions related to the two new characters. What could be possible like Lockirby stated is adding an effect to an item when Iris use or wore it without altering the original effect on the first 14th characters.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: I also loved what "Brave New World" did with regards to learning spells and improving stats, but know that might not be workable due to it using the unused Cyan coding spaces for that bit of coding work.

BNW has a nice system but then again vanilla system should be kept if we want to stick to the project spirit. I'm not against a change on this regard though.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: An Esper (or Monster maybe?) that survives Kefka's shit and joins the party is one thing that springs to mind. Regarding the idea of a "Soldier" joining the party, in the WoR the underground passage in and out of South Figaro does have a lot of WoB enemies (I.E. Soldiers) running about, so that could be tied that into things if desired. Only issue is explaining why the Empire soldiers down there are still attacking even after the Empire agreed to leave though (let alone what they're doing still existing after Kefka fucked everything up). Still, that is fixable and usable if desired.

There will probably be a character concept / story submission thread for the 16th spot so you'll be able to submit your ideas to vote. I like the idea of a soldier joining.

(10-16-2016, 06:18 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Another thought is monsters having multiple steals. You should recognize your own work with that.

With item expansion this would be cool. Your "crafting" or Colosseum items you mentioned would be perfect with this. However item ID in the steal / drop table is one byte it would need to be expanded to two. I know there is a way to use the MSB of the SRAM item quantity byte to signify additional items during gameplay but I don't know for item IDs as data. Even in FF6A you cannot win or steal an item beyond $FF.

Yeah, some of those things would require an expanded Mod and hard-code hacking to effectively expand the item list (the bigger issue there is the item descriptions in my honest opinion, but that too can be worked around with some short but effective descriptions). Still, I had to include the "Ideas", because well, it's just talk atm. No harm in throwing random ideas around, and 'aiming high' sometimes allow for amusing successes. Though I figured FF6A got an 'effective' 510 potential items by doubling that byte space, even if they only used 270 (271 if we include the "Blank Spot"?) of those effective 510 items total. I do have links to maps of the FF6A Rom coding, so that helps.

Still, some parts of the "Canon" game were the result of laziness and idiocy (I'm looking at you, oh plethora of easily fixed bugs and coding that makes no f**k**g sense. I mean, canon effectively punishes those who invest in "Stamina" by increasing the negative consequences, making it effectively the most worthless stat to invest in due to that. Bleh), and I'm looking forward to changes from that.

Still, I'll keep that info about the character concept / story submission thread in mind, and start writing up and fleshing out some things for use there. Not just one or two ideas/concepts for the characters in question, but an easy half-dozen or so. Expect something from that soon'ish.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-16-2016, 08:22 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Though I figured FF6A got an 'effective' 510 potential items by doubling that byte space, even if they only used 270 (271 if we include the "Blank Spot"?) of those effective 510 items total. I do have links to maps of the FF6A Rom coding, so that helps.

I don't know how FF6A handle those extra 14 (it's one ultimate weapon per character if I remember right) but those items are chest exclusive and cannot be obtained in another way (event or steal / drop). I wouldn't be surprise if they have coded branches based on the chest ID to add the item to inventory. As for FF6A ROM coding, do you mean a ROM map or disassembly of the code? Any FF6A disassembly would interest me and other people.

(10-16-2016, 08:22 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Still, some parts of the "Canon" game were the result of laziness and idiocy.

I agree, the community project should definitely have a game improvement side or at least a bugfix side while retaining the original mechanisms. I strongly think we should include the most possible gameplay bugfixes as well as maybe improving some specific aspect of gameplay such as the stamina role like you mentioned.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (10-16-2016)

Status
None
(10-16-2016, 09:05 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 08:22 PM)Robo Jesus Wrote: Though I figured FF6A got an 'effective' 510 potential items by doubling that byte space, even if they only used 270 (271 if we include the "Blank Spot"?) of those effective 510 items total. I do have links to maps of the FF6A Rom coding, so that helps.

I don't know how FF6A handle those extra 14 (it's one ultimate weapon per character if I remember right) but those items are chest exclusive and cannot be obtained in another way (event or steal / drop). I wouldn't be surprise if they have coded branches based on the chest ID to add the item to inventory. As for FF6A ROM coding, do you mean a ROM map or disassembly of the code? Any FF6A disassembly would interest me and other people.

14 "Ultimate" weapons and the Excalipoor, but yeah. As for the Rom Maps, I know one of those maps came from this site, though I did find another one over at the "datacrystalromhacking" wiki. http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/F...VI:ROM_map

I also have found some useful bits of what goes where via a few "Gameshark" type hacking sites and pages (the gamefaqs codes were decently accurate and functional).

If I find more such things, I'll put them in a seperate thread for you (only putting them here 'cause you asked). Laugh Wink
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
dude its like you read my mind, I've had ideas like these for a while now actually

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC