Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6LE Rogue CE / Zone Doctor CE

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(09-18-2016, 04:52 PM)Warrax Wrote: I've attempted to put a Message Name on a dummy map ($10B) and even if the Exit Field that lead into that map has Show Message enabled, no message is shown. Do you have any idea why? My theory is that since it's a dummy map, many elements (strings?) are missing and Message Name is one of them.

How it work is if message name is enabled on the exit, the map will show the string that is set in the map data. I think if it point to an empty string (00) it will display nothing (not even the blue text container). The map data only has the string ID, it does not contain the string itself. Every map has the same 33 bytes structure for data. This seems to be sort of a limitation by the game. I'll have to check in code to see if there is any limitation.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I have something to report, I know you aren't the original author of this program but I will give it a try just in case.

I'm using a Super UFO PRO to play ROMs on my real SNES, it's very strict (in comparison to the Super EverDrive which run pretty much everything) and when I save any FF3 ROMs with any versions of FF3LE (original, Rogue and CE), the Super UFO refuse to load the ROM, it says: FILE TYPE ERROR. FF3LE always did that to me but not ZoneDoctor. I have the impression that FF3LE break something which prevent the ROM to be loaded by some devices.

One thing is sure, FF3LE does something that it's not supposed to, I used many FF3 editors/programs and none of them causes that but ALL FF3LE ports does (except ZoneDoctor but this one seems to have been remade from scratch instead of being based on FF3LE, could be wrong tho). Everything is fine if you run on emulators (never tried BSNES tho) but that's to be expected.

If you're interested to investigate, I can send you a ROM saved with FF3LE and the same rom saved with ZoneDoctor if you want to compare both.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-19-2016, 01:06 PM)Warrax Wrote: If you're interested to investigate, I can send you a ROM saved with FF3LE and the same rom saved with ZoneDoctor if you want to compare both.

Yes send me both I'll try to fix it.

Do you know if Super UFO PRO check the internal Checksum and fail to load if it's not correct? I know FF3LE does not change it, it could be the cause. However, I though FF3usME and most of other editor does not fix the Checksum either so I'm wondering what else it could be. I think Zone Doctor fix the Checksum. In any way I'd like ROMs modified with FF6LE Rogue CE to be playable on real hardware so it worth investing.

I'm check your location name problem today. B-Run reported location names work for expanded maps on his CoV build. I'll make the test on my side to be sure with expanded maps and vanilla dummy maps. Thanks for reporting all those issue!
  Find

Status
None
(09-19-2016, 01:17 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Do you know if Super UFO PRO check the internal Checksum and fail to load if it's not correct? I know FF3LE does not change it, it could be the cause. However, I though FF3usME and most of other editor does not fix the Checksum either so I'm wondering what else it could be. I think Zone Doctor fix the Checksum. In any way I'd like ROMs modified with FF6LE Rogue CE to be playable on real hardware so it worth investing.

I think it does check the internal Checksum but I'm not sure. I can load patched ROMs without issues, ROM limit is 32mbit with the Super UFO. Sorry if that doesn't help you much, I don't have a lot of knowledge with ROM hacking.

(09-19-2016, 01:17 PM)Madsiur Wrote: I'm check your location name problem today. B-Run reported location names work for expanded maps on his CoV build. I'll make the test on my side to be sure with expanded maps and vanilla dummy maps. Thanks for reporting all those issue!

No problems! Thanks a lot for investigating.
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
(09-19-2016, 01:48 PM)Warrax Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 01:17 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Do you know if Super UFO PRO check the internal Checksum and fail to load if it's not correct? I know FF3LE does not change it, it could be the cause. However, I though FF3usME and most of other editor does not fix the Checksum either so I'm wondering what else it could be. I think Zone Doctor fix the Checksum. In any way I'd like ROMs modified with FF6LE Rogue CE to be playable on real hardware so it worth investing.

I think it does check the internal Checksum but I'm not sure. I can load patched ROMs without issues, ROM limit is 32mbit with the Super UFO. Sorry if that doesn't help you much, I don't have a lot of knowledge with ROM hacking.

If this is the issue, you might try running this tool on your ROM and see if it then works on your hardware? It's what I use to fix the checksum of my own hack when I put new versions of it out.
  Find

Status
None
That's a great tool, thanks!

Just tried it, when loading a ROM modified by FF6LE, everything stays at 0000 and when attempting to fix, it says: "Could not locate CHECKSUM!" and nothing happen.

On the other hand, the ROM modified by Zone Doctor shows numbers other than 0000 and says: "CheckSum does not match. Repair it?" when attempting to repair checksum.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
While trying to check exits, I found a bug. If after expanding the ROM data, saving and quitting the editor, you reload your ROM and enter the expansion setting window again and press ok, your memory byte will be set to $00, thus preventing the editor to load expanded map names. This mean the map list will stop at ID $19F. You can manually set your memory byte (default at $ED747F) with the following flags in the meanwhile version 0.5 comes out:

Code:
0x01    5 banks of tilemap data
0x02    6 banks of tilemap data
0x03    7 banks of tilemap data
0x40    was using FF6LE+ or Zone Doctor+ before
0x80    expansion done

As an example, if you expanded with 6 banks of tilemap data, your byte will be $82. If you were coming from FF6LE+ with 7 banks of tilemap data, the byte will be $C3.

Edit: @Warrax, I tried location names change on Expansion maps and original dummied ones ($10B used here) and they both show location names using short and long exits. I think the map has to be loaded again to reflect the editor changes. As an example changing exit properties and loading a savestate on the map the exit is will not reflect the changes I think.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • DrMeat (09-19-2016)

Status
Tissue-aware
Version 0.5 is up! (see original post)

Changes:

-Entering the expansion setting window after expanding and pressing "ok" was setting memory bit to $00. This is fixed. See above post for manual memory byte setting if needed.

-Selecting a map ID higher than 0xFF in short and long exits was trimming the 3rd digit of the ID. Destination map $12E would have been saved as $2E. This bug was in original FF6LE and has been corrected.

-FF6LE was recalculating the checksum ($C0FFDE) but not the inverse checksum ($C0FFDC). This might be the reason Super UFO PRO as an example won't load a ROM edited with FF6LE. I've imported the Zone Doctor checksums calculation function and placed it at the correct spot in FF6LE CE 0.5. @Warrax: Could you please verify if you can load a ROM saved with 0.5?

As said in another post, there is no bug with Location Names in Expansion maps or original dummy maps.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • DrMeat (09-20-2016)

Status
None
I think I found another bug, I was messing with Exits to make them lead to $10B map using a vanilla ROM (expanded to 32mbit with FF3usME but not expanded with FF6LE CE) and noticed that the map destination automatically changed from $10B to $00B as soon as I refreshed.

I did the same with a couple of $1xx maps and it change automatically to $0xx with the same last number (eg. $114 change to $014) as soon as it refresh. That problem alone prevent me to test Message Name on $10B map so I don't know how you've been able to test and successfully see the Message Name on $10B map.

I was able to test it before because I was using a ROM already modified by Zone Doctor so all I had to enable with FF6LE is ShowMessage to the correct Exits, set Message to 22 (called 10th Floor) and renamed the message to STAIRWAY.

Edit: Well nevermind lol, looks like you've found the bug too and it's already fixed, good job.

Edit2: Will gladly test on Super UFO with 0.5, will report later.

Edit3: The ROM is now loading correctly when using the Super UFO PRO now Smile Awesome!
However, I still don't see Location Message when using an Exit that lead to map $10B. To make sure it was not on my end, I used a fresh vanilla ROM v1.1 that I expanded to 32mbit with FFusME (so I can save without errors) and I triple checked everything so I don't understand why you aren't getting that problem. I'm aware that you have to re-enter the map to refresh any changes but when I tested with the Super UFO (which has no savestate support), the issue is still there, I'm confused.
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-19-2016, 05:41 PM)Warrax Wrote: I'm aware that you have to re-enter the map to refresh any changes but when I tested with the Super UFO (which has no savestate support), the issue is still there, I'm confused.

Try setting the Message (upper list) to something else than value 0 for map $10B. You should see when entering the map the selected location name and not the blank dialogue box. Changing the message name of the map (bottom textbox) change the message entry that has the map message ID. There is a difference. Maybe entry 0 is considered dummy by the game and won't display regardless of its string value. I tested with a version 1.0 ROM.

Edit: You're right. What is happening is the ROM doesn't load the changed string but changing the location name ID works. I'll look into this. The editor save correctly the new string so it's something with the game, maybe it load vanilla data somehow.

Edit2: Nevermind 1st edit. Everything works correctly on my end.
  Find