Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Let's Hack FF6 Stream Megathread

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I definitely enjoy the social aspect in chat, but I'm aware that can't hold up the streams by itself. Tongue I tend to enjoy the streams where you have prepared a good diagram of what you are coding beforehand. I find that they tend to run more smoothly than the streams where you work it out on the fly. While it's good to get some of the process of figuring things out, sometimes things take just a bit too long to sort out. It's not a disaster either way though.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I agree with Lockirby. The more you prepare, the better it is. Too much preparation could kill the magic but I'm leaning toward the idea that it's hard to reach that situation. I know I'll sound redundant but you could improve your readability by using an assembler and people could focus more on the ASM rather than the hex. It's been a few weeks since I really paid attention to your coding flow for a long moment, I remember being good even if you code in the hex editor though.

You could also do a solid event stream, where you plan something and explain commands along the way. ASM is more fun but it could be different. Social aspect is fun, I can troll a bit Tongue. So far I'm quite happy with how your streams goes.

I think also Jackimus should do a second music one, it was really cool. I actually watched it yesterday.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 4
Status
Blind
I'll gladly do another music one! I actually intended to have done a second one by now but I've been busy with summer family shenanigans. I'll try and pick away at something on my to-do list and as it approaches presentable-ness I'll book a day and force myself to be ready by then!
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Ok, this week on the stream:
  • Expanded Locations! New Maps, Figaro Outpost East and Figaro Outpost West. Just a couple bonus maps to give the player something to discover after leaving Narshe in CoV. Also, they are going to reside in BRAND NEW EXPANDED LOCATION SPACE! meaning they don't replace something old, they are totally new.
  • MMMMMagic Update review. New spell sorting and startup animations working! Also, I was able to code it so that the spell numbers aren't hardcoded, so it is slightly more flexible. Still little bugs to iron out, but most of the grunt-work is done! Plus all the default new spells are created and animated.
  • Madsiur Stream Hype.
See you all there! Happy Hacking!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(08-25-2016, 07:23 AM)B-Run Wrote: Also, they are going to reside in BRAND NEW EXPANDED LOCATION SPACE!

I would test this before streaming. If your game crash, I will look stupid :/
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Over my vacation days, I decided to grind out the MMMMMagic update... and I did! So I'm going to be taking it easy today and just kind of playing the game for a change. The only real caveat is that I will be playing the MMMMMagic+Guest Adder patched version. The plan is to chill, chat, and talk about some of the philosophical elements that went into the creation and direction of Final Fantasy VI. There is a surprising amount of depth to the characters and themes of this game, and I love analyzing and talking about those things as much as I do hacking. So come chill with me tonight on-stream!

As always, bring your hacking questions, because I also love to help!

Happy Hacking (and chilling)!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(09-01-2016, 08:32 AM)B-Run Wrote: The plan is to chill, chat, and talk about some of the philosophical elements that went into the creation and direction of Final Fantasy VI. There is a surprising amount of depth to the characters and themes of this game, and I love analyzing and talking about those things as much as I do hacking.

Question:

Do you think FF6 explores post-modernism themes through the femininity of its lead characters? If so, do you think it pushes the boundaries of post-modern exploration for a mid 90's cultural reference and set the path to the post-structuralism definition of early 2000's with themes like Magitek? If so what do you think of Socrate's definition of freedom? Is the fact he was pro-slavery paradoxical or only a cultural trait of the era he lived in?

Before answering read this: https://killscreen.com/articles/magic-ge...antasy-vi/
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for some hacking stream tonight.

This week on the amazing megastream to end all streams, B-Run the wise (and devilishly good-looking) will try to fix game-breaking bugs HE created... Seriously.

I get stuck in an infinite loop post-battle sometimes and have no idea what causes it. So we are going to do debugging! Taking a close look at Geiger's debugger for snes9x, we will look at how to track down bugs in your (or someone elses...[but yeah, in this case my]) code. This is an absolutely invaluable skill to have in hacking as almost nothing works the first time through, and debugging is the quickest way to solve problems in your code. I will be emphasizing on both program use and best practices for backups to help you track down bad code, because sometimes things go undiscovered for a LONG time.

As a quick aside, I will also briefly show off how to move the Retort mechanic to Blitz instead of Swdtech.

Don't forget to bring your hacking questions if you have any! Every stream is dedicated first and foremost to teaching, so I love to hear from you guys.

SEE YOU ALL THERE (or else)

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
It's really, truly a thing. The MMMMMagic Update is finished! This week will be a tutorial for how to customize the new and improved magic system to get you more spell lists and more spells. The patch will come bundled with instructions and a link to tonight's stream as a reference. If you are interested in giving more characters active, unique magic lists with even more spells, you want to make this stream!

I am making another pass of the disassembly for clerical errors while working on the .asm this week and over the weekend, and hopefully all finalized versions of the patch will be out early next week. So get your hacks ready for magic expansion.

Happy Hacking!
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
This Thursday (tomorrow) on the stream!
  • Expanding overworld sprites and importing new sprite sheets! Namingway makes his entrance into CoV!
  • Actor-based caseword events. Namingway renaming event/dialogue.
Can't wait to start making progress on CoV again. See you there!
  Find