Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Let's Hack FF6 Stream - 4/7/16

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Hey Fellows...

Due to some personal things I've had to work on this week, and the fact that I've been a little under the weather with allergies... I haven't had time to prepare for Desperation+ week 3... but I don't want to lose momentum streaming weekly so this coming Thursday on the stream we are going to be doing something a little different.

Instead of continuing the desperation mechanic enhancement, I will instead be basically doing whatever the people on the stream want me to do... including answering questions and maybe doing some custom code... if you want me to give you a hand on stream, get your ROM and whatever documentation you have for your changes zipped up and hosted somewhere I can access it. if you don't want to post the link publicly, you can PM me the link here at any point. I can't guarantee I will get to it, as it depends on what needs getting done and what else is happening on the stream, but i will try to at least address each person that asks for help.

Should no one have anything they need help with, I will be tinkering around with Children of Vector. I still don't have a plan to complete it, but I don't mind showcasing it and doing some little stuff, like sprite edits, music expansion, and maybe some research for Lorial's totally custom ability, Trance. Really just whatever I feel like doing at the moment.

This week will likely be less instructive in nature, and will lean a lot on the social aspect of using twitch... so I hope to see as many of you out to participate as possible... bring chips, beer... maybe a juice box... Seriously... the key to staying motivated about anything is community, and that's what I love most about FF6hacking.com...

Happy Hacking!

Where:
http://www.twitch.tv/b_run_

When:
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/let...down-clock
  Find

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
Hope I'm not butting in, but I do have a few, um, interesting questions that might be interesting enough to try to get around in a stream?
Concepts like "Reverse Cursed Shield" (multiple weapons can turn into the Paladin Shield, which is no a useless weapon), or "Using Vigor instead of Magic for some spells", or even how to make new physical (or magical) damage formulas.

Really hoping I'm not throwing myself into danger for posting this here (this is after all the first forum I've ever even created threads), just trying to throw some ideas.
I truly hope I can stay awake for this one though xD

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kugawattan for this post:
  • B-Run (04-06-2016)

Status
Obliviscence
(04-06-2016, 09:41 AM)Kugawattan Wrote: Hope I'm not butting in, but I do have a few, um, interesting questions that might be interesting enough to try to get around in a stream?
Concepts like "Reverse Cursed Shield" (multiple weapons can turn into the Paladin Shield, which is no a useless weapon), or "Using Vigor instead of Magic for some spells", or even how to make new physical (or magical) damage formulas.

Really hoping I'm not throwing myself into danger for posting this here (this is after all the first forum I've ever even created threads), just trying to throw some ideas.
I truly hope I can stay awake for this one though xD

Those are fine ideas... there's definitely no reason not to explore them. I haven't looked at the Code but "reverse cursed shield" might be super easy. I haven't done too much with formula editing, and that might require a little extra time... but we can look at it.

Another major focus of the stream (like the site), is getting people into the idea of learning to do this stuff... since it can be intimidating at first. So even if we can't go through the whole thing... hopefully i can at least get you pointed in the right direction then let you see what you can do with the information. Sometimes the hardest part is getting started.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I don't have any idea really, I consider there are people with active hacks that might benefit a lot more of your help. I'll be there watching and trolling (a bit) tomorrow!

@Kugawattan: Even if you suggest ideas that applies to your hack, it's all good. If we can kill two birds with one stone, making you progress and make others learn stuff then it's for the best.
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Sleep
I'll be on from the start tonight, I work the day shift today. As far as things that I would like to see...I can't think of anything in particular except maybe more in depth footage of using the debugger? I don't know how in depth you used it so far because I haven't gotten to see all the footage(going to finish watching it today) but I am not too familiar with it as a whole.

I feel like I have come pretty far in my understanding of ASM over the past few months but that if I could use this tool better it may be the thing that really helps me get over the hump to doing more advanced things.

Status
Obliviscence
Using a debugger is huge when it comes to doing ASM work... almost nothing works on the first try, so being able to step through your code and watch the processor is critical. I can over it a bit more tonight...
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
I guess a good thing would be to quickly explain the flags (Negative and Carry mainly) as well as some registers like Stack(S), Data Bank (DB) and Direct Page (DP). Maybe give situation for each, as an example, DB often points to $7E meaning LDA $1600 will fetch from $7E1600 but if you set DB to $C2 it will fetch from $C21600. Just giving situations or utility of each maybe.

You could also cover other debugger features like explaining the diffetrent between a read, write and execute breakpoint. Just mere suggestions, you're the one doing the stream ; )
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
Thanks so much to everyone who came out last night! The stream went amazingly.... except for one minor detail....

...I forgot to record. Finger

So if you feel like doing this: Hmm Pummel that is totally understandable.

However, with some help from someone who found us through searching twitch for FFVI, I learned how to have twitch automatically save my stream temporarily so that this won't happen again.

We went over some of the major functions of the debugger... looked into some code for the suggestions above... and just kind of had a good time. I was happy with how active chat was. It was really a great night. Going to continue next week for sure, I will get a new thread up at some point... so stay tuned!
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Sleep
The stream was great, extremely helpful. I have came a long way trying to teach myself and asking for help but having the visual aid and someone explaining along with it really helps me understand alot better.

I'm really hoping to take what I have learned and use it to take my hacking to the next level. Thanks again!