Bridge Correction patch

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
author: Gi Nattak
Download

This obscure patch corrects two small, rather hard to notice graphical issues with the Sealed Gate battle background, where two identical small square sections of the bridge were seemingly colored in wrong, using the cloud's dark green/blue colors instead. I noticed this today and thought it was something I must have done on accident when editing some background palettes, or whatever, but turned out it is indeed present in vanilla. So might as well make a patch for it... I'm not too sure how I've never noticed this, but today it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's probably debatable if it's indeed a blunder or not, but looking closely in detail it definitely looks wrong to me, and since those colors are not used anywhere else on the bridge:

bad: [Image: good.png]
good: [Image: bad.png]

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Hey, nice find. I like little fixes like this. Ever since I played FFVI Android I've noticed there's actually a lot of bad tiling in FFVI and I'll occasionally scan through maps with Zone Doctor to find and fix stuff like this. If people keep contributing small stuff like this we will one day have a large megafix for all the little cosmetic stuff. Smile
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
did you edited it with an editor or you changed raw hex manually?

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(04-01-2016, 04:02 PM)Tenkarider Wrote: did you edited it with an editor or you changed raw hex manually?

Peer Sprite Viewer to decompress/re-compress the battle background graphics and re-colored it with YY-CHR.

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
I have that program and i remember i failed the first attempts to decompress stuff...
could you tell me an example of procedure to change the color of one pixel of the BG? (starting from open peer sprite, until you find the byte to change in YY-char)  Pray

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
This thread here explains the process, I'm not sure if you've seen it:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...decompress

You can find a comprehensive list of the battle backgrounds from Lord J's website:
http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/

*Although not all of them are labeled, most of them actually. So you'll have to just keep trying them all until the background graphic(s) you wish to edit show up there in Peer Sprite Viewer, and it can be a bit tricky and tedious to tell what it is without decompressing it and looking at it in YY-CHR.

One thing that might have gone wrong for you is the offsets are with a header, so your ROM might have not been so when you went to 'click to buffer' it would give you a 'bad compression packet' error, since the start-end address was off.

In YY-CHR, once you load up the decompressed graphic, make sure you are looking at it with 4BPP SNES and it will show up there to edit. You just gotta be somewhat careful when editing to not go over the amount of bytes it will take to re-compress it in, basically by not going over the original's boundaries, or when re-compressing the file back in it will give you a 'bad compression packet' error, which is annoying. Different colors used too seem to take up different space, for some reason I've noticed.

* a much more comprehensive list documentation was done by Rydel and can be found here:
https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...500&page=3

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Changing just small things, you just decompress with Peer Sprite Viewer, edit with YY-CHR, and then recompress and reinsert with PSV. If you want to make more extensive changes to the battle backgrounds, they'll likely be a different size when recompressed with Peer Sprite Viewer. If they're too big, you'll overwrite data and corrupt other battle backgrounds.

I'm not sure if PSV shows you the size of the compressed data before you recompress and reinsert. So when I wanted to change a battle background, I just recompressed and reinserted it to an area of empty space in the ROM, then used my hex editor (WindHex) to export a binary file of that data. Knowing the size, I shifted the background data and imported my binary blob, then changed the pointer table to the proper new values.

I don't know the address of the pointer table offhand, but that and more info is in Dr. Meat's thread about FFVI Relocalization Project. He imported the FF6j backgrounds to FF3us and documented his process nicely.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
while we are on the subject, does some backgrounds share graphics (e.g. same town gate fort all town backgrounds) or are they distinct? Also, is there some for of identical tiles reusing in a said background?
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Weakness
I am wondering if the dead pixels in Zozo's background (flash the screen, and there are some oddly non-flashed pixels) could be the fixed in same way? I always imagined that there are some pixels there colored with the wrong alpha. I've never really investigated it, though.

I appreciate the prayers and good wishes. Those who don't know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma in 2019, and I have done well with the treatment, but eventually treatments stop working and you change.  I recently had a seizure at work, now I am healing but not able to work or really do much at all. The focus is just to get better. Again, thanks for the support and if I can help you I will.  I've forgotten more about this game than most people should ever learn, lol.
  Find

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
I'm too lazy to look now, but I thought the pixel problem on Gogo's menu was worked out a long time ago.
  Find