Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Terra Edit] Amano's Terra

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Looking around the forums, I know there's been a couple attempts at things like this before, but I'd like to hope mine is different enough to warrant someone's attention.  Plus, I think she goes pretty well with the likes of Astaroth_'s "Celes Amamo".

And so, I proudly present... Terra, wearing an outfit much more in-line with her Yoshitaka Amano and Dissidia Final Fantasy design:

Amano-style dress with cape

Amano-style dress with no cape

Amano-style dress with cape and blond hair

Various versions in-game

I actually made this as a personal project, since for whatever reason, as I started to re-play the game again... her original design felt strange to me.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, mind... and I probably wouldn't have even given a second thought, had I not seen Amano's artwork or her Dissidia renders... but something in me wanted her to look different.  And so, I set to work on making it happen.
Initially, I just changed her hair color in Final Fantasy 3 Sprite Editor.  I also recolored her legs while I was in there, giving her the illusion of white leggings.  While she looked good with blond hair and white leggings, even in her in-game outfit... I still wasn't happy, so I decided to spend the rest of the day working on editing her sprites.
After a few hours of work, I was finished with her dress sprites.  They looked and moved perfectly in-game!  But I still wasn't done...and so I decided to give her her cape/cloak thing.  It took a lot of work to make it look right and even now, I'm not sure it does... but it definitely looks "passable" -- like it's official spritework, almost.  So, I was finally happy.

I'd intended to release this as a "universal" ROM hack, since all it does is edit graphics and/or palettes... but upon further investigation, I decided that releasing such a minor update for a game just didn't feel worth the effort, despite the fact I'd already made patches and documentation and everything.  And so... here I am, at the one place I am dead certain would be appropriate to release this.

Enjoy the sprites, folks.  You are welcome to use them in anything, but I'd appreciate credit for the edits where applicable.

Edit: I forgot the extra pose.  It's included now. (The legs sprite is the same for both versions.)
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Joseph Collins for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (07-10-2015)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Very nice!
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
...This is so amazing.

If I ever use normal Terra for anything, I am so using this instead, it just suits her so much better as she looks far more feminine now.

This is the kind of sprite that would be used in a 'sleek' redesign project that polished sprites to look closer to the intended conceptual art.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
these are not bad at all

great job

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
This in my opinion is the best Terra Sprite I've seen. I was really disappointed to find out that I couldn't use the blonde version without messing up everything else in the game. Which is why I recolored it using the gold and brown in her natural palette. I also corrected some mistakes I found in the several of her boots. Now, her hair is not as good as the original posters sprite, but it's way better than I thought it would turn out. Opinions?

[Image: o6TA01yl.png]

[Image: 9VWdH8Cl.png]

[Image: PXHA9ZJl.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Your edit is correct. The colors doesn't stand out as much as the originals but if this version is compatible with the rest of vanilla sprite, it's a plus.
  Find